It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our Polish Games Festival is going strong with great deals on titles coming from Polish developers, but that’s not all we have in store for you (pun intended).
We teamed up with Razer to give you a contest with amazing prizes!

The rules are simple: comment on the forum or under our Twitter contest post and tell us what things are HARDER to do in games than in real life from your perspective. We'll reward 3 forum and 3 Twitter entries that we find most creative.

What are the prizes? You can win one of six prize packs of Razer peripherals (BlackWidow keyboard, DeathAdder mouse and Kraken headphones), and a bundle of 20 games available on GOG.COM, such as Control Ultimate Edition, Disco Elysium - The Final Cut, Spiritfarer, SUPERHOT: Mind Control Delete and more!

Submit your entries before May 11th, 3pm UTC. Terms and conditions apply. You can check them in the first comment on the forum.

Don’t forget that, during Polish Games Festival (from May 3rd to May 10th, till 1 PM UTC), if you buy any game at GOG.COM and sign up to GOG’s newsletter, you will receive a special 15% off on peripherals in the Razer Store*.

* The 15% discount codes for Razer Peripherals will be valid from May 10th till June 10th, 2021. The discount does not apply to digital goods (Razer Gold Pins, Razer Gift Card), Razer Customs, Gears & Apparel, Razer Systems. Codes are eligible for selected countries and territories: USA, Canada, United Kingdom, European Union, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Australia. The discount codes will be sent via email connected to your GOG account, within a few days after the event ends. One account is eligible for one discount code.
Driving. I'm a fantastic driver in real life, but in games, I can't stay on the road let alone win a race consistently. Game controllers weren't designed with driving in mind.
Desperately bad at combat flight/space sims can't hit a barn door at 2 yards!
Glitching ourselves is easy in games than in real life
Letting go.

I've bought this game, right? Now I want to see _ everything_ there is inside this magical, wondrous and virtual place. But there's so friggin' much in a even single game and I've got a _huge_ backlog to boot.

Maybe no so much as others, but compared to the available spare time I have as a dad of three teens, it's an insurmountable heap of content that I want to, need to enjoy.

And then I paralyze, like a deer in the headlights of a big truck. Which game do I start with first? Which will provide me the best experience in the time I have available? I can't decide. I can't just sit back and relax.

So, I play very little of a lot of games, hardly finishing any and when do manage to finish the odd game, I need some time to get rid of the feeling I might've missed the best parts afterwards.

There's just so much to see, so much to do and so much to enjoy...
Playing musical instruments. I can play the piano, learned to play the guitar and the drums only to be a beginner. But cannot figure out how to play musical instruments in games. When I saw piano in Killing Floor 2, I tried to play it by clicking. It did make individual sounds but couldn't connect the sounds to make any kind of music. I cannot even imagine how to play the guitar with keyboard and mouse. Drums may be possible... by setting one key for each parts of the drums. Wait... How can I deal with the pedals of the drums then?

Well. Maybe it's far easier to play the instruments in the real world.
Getting dressed. No buttoning shirts or tying shoes. Not to mention buttoning tight jeans. #RazorxGOG
It's much harder in a video game to pick up the one single item you want out of a group of items.

When faced with a group of three items in real life, I reach out my hand and pick up the correct item roughly 98% of the time (I'm a little uncoordinated).

In a video game, on a good day I may pick up the desired item maybe 40% of the time. It's almost like the character has hands that are really rubber gloves on the end of sticks and they're just floundering for anything they can grab.

I also suspect it's easier to grab someone in real life. When I sneak up behind someone in video games with the intention of grabbing them around the neck, I sometimes pick up the bottle of water on the desk next to them or the cheeseburger laying on the ground at their feet. I suspect I would never make this mistake in real life although I have no evidence to the contrary.
Finding things in my backpack. Rarely do I need to know how to spell something to find it in my backpack. Also the default sort should be by weight since heavier things always end up on the bottom in the real world.
Things that are HARDER to do in games than in real life...
- Choose clothing. Defense, protection, possibility of critical hits, health, food, women... In real life, t-shirt, jeans and that's it.
- Having to use 300 rockets, 400 missiles, 1500 bullets and 2 stones to kill a boss. In real life, nobody can take that long. Not even Chuck Norris.
- Drive correctly. In some games the roads seem bathed in oil.
- To be a good person. Some games bring out the worst version of yourself. Either because of the frustrating level or because he asks for it directly.
- And finally, walk at the same pace as the NPCs. Seriously, what happens to programmers with that? It is the most evil thing that can be done in a game.
Buying milk without going postal in the shop seems a lot harder in video games
Staying alive is harder to do in video games than in real life
Short story: my keyboard broke and I tried to write my comment on my phone two times, closed one tab and reload the other by accident so I make a shorter one, but I was no satisfied with that and I decided to make another, this will be like my comment 2.0 Remaster Redux Enhanced Edition Extended Cut.

GOG: -...tell us what things are HARDER to do in games than in real life from your perspective.

Me: -Ohhh boy, for every thing that is easier to do in videogames, there is something that is more complicated in videogames that are way easier in real life, let's see some examples:
- Swimming (F the water levels): Water and videogames are like antagonist, in some cases your character dies just by falling or entering water, we have examples like Tommy Vercetti from GTA Vice City, Altair from Assassin's Creed or Kain from Bloodomen 2, but if you can swim you will have to survive to a short limited air supply, a lot of things that tries to kill you and a painfully slow movement (yeah, so much fun! _¬¬). For some reason many developers in the 90s love them so much or maybe just hate players, but they include them on almost every game, Mario, Sonic, TMNT (that is the worst), Zelda Ocarina of time (maybe this is the worst) and Earthworm Jim to name a few, so after those extremely complicated experiences we learn to hate them and reject water in games.

- Open doors: Who would thought that powerfull characters like Kratos from God of War series, that killed enemies fron the size of mountains or the witch Bayonetta from... Bayonetta, who killed a Creator God with all her powers, would bend the knees before the mighty wooden door? Include closed doors that need either a key or a mechanism to open them (and better no talk about how to open a door in a Point n Click Adventure), is one of the most used challenges that developers introduce in games to delay our progress but it doesn't have any sense, something that would be overcome so easily in real life if we have the abilities or the instruments of a videogame character, using a little bit of brute force or even more simple just calling a locksmith.

- Avoid stepping on the cracks of the floor: What? I'm the only one that tried this? Well, let me tell you that is hard as hell, even worse than that it's impossible, more if we take in count that in some FPP games you don't even have feet... No, I'm not mental, I swear... Not too much I think XD

- Take a shower: After a long day of adventures, killing monsters, surviving in the jungle, jumping through the roofs, cover in mood, cover in blood, what could be better that a good shower to clean our character after a long day? Good luck with that, be able to take a shower in games is ultra rare... Who is a dirty boy? Who is a disty boy? Probably your character.

- Use an umbrella in a rainy day: Taking in count the previous point this could be an advantage and count as a shower (XD), but now talking seriously, a normal reaction would be take an umbrella outside in a rainy day, but no so much in videogames, it's an option almost non-existent in those digital worlds, at least for your character, more than once I tried to pick up the umbrellas that NPC drop in GTA IV but never succeed, the only example I remember right now you can use an umbrella is Persona 5 and maybe in Resident Evil 7 Not A Hero becuase Chris is an Umbrella Agent and you control it :V

- Relax: I don't know you, but I love lazy days, I like to stay at home doing nothing, drink something or just spend my day watching TV, a movie or playing some games, I like relax in my house, but you can't do that in most games,I said most because it must exist a "Do Nothing Simulator", I mean it exist the rock simulator that practically is the same... So yeah, I know many relaxing games but in very few games you can actually relax your character, just staying at home, but most characters in videogames, specially in RPGs or Survival, not even have a house to stay in.

- Be a good person: Be a jerk in videogames it's great, once a wise man said "man is good by nature, it's the Devs who corrupt them offering more fun options if you are a bad character than if you are a good one", or are you going to deny me that activate the nuke in Fallout 3 it's way more tempting than deactivate it? How many of you harvest the Little Sisters in Bioshock just to get a little more ADAM? And push that mercenary by the window in Mass Effect 2 is way more spectacular than the other option (actually I don't know the other option always puah him), for all those reasons and more is why being a good guy in games it's so difficult.

- Get bored: I know there are many games that are boring but those tends to be avoided by most gamers, every time we purchase a game is to have some fun, experience a different world with a lot of missions, challenges, boss fights, puzzles and people to meet, videogames are designed to entrain and they are so good at it. Even verything that is a chore to do in real life it's way more fun in videogames, work, cut the grass, cook, wash the dishes, paint the house, clean the house, farm, laundry, take care of the childrens (XD), and so many more. That's why I believe that get bored on videogames is really hard to do. :D

- Die: Yes, it's pretty over used to this point and I doubt to add it but it's one of the easiest and unavoidable things in real life, humans can die pretty easily, a shoot (humans have a severe allergy to bullets), an illness, a fall, among other things, nevertheless, videogames characters tends to be much more resistant to this kind of things, yet I think also one of the hardest thing to do in videogames that are easier in real life is...

- STAY ALIVE: Survive in videogames it's a hell of a thing if we take in count all the things that try to kill our character, animals, criminals, zombies, robots, cyborgs, aliens, mythological creatures, monsters, evil doppelgangers, giants, gods, shadows, vampires, demons, templars, the enviroment, our own mistakes, othe players, and a really long etcetera of things that try by all means to put and end to our existence. Now, if we take in count that most games have an average duration of 10 to 15 hours and in that time our character die plenty of times, the fact of live enough to being able to play a videogame involves that we have survived more than any characters in videogames. Stay alive is the challenge we have to overcome in the majority of games to reach the end and is definitely one of the most harder thing to do in videogames.

- Another easy obstacles and daily things: And to close this comment I will make a potpourri with other series of "hard to do" things. Imagine that a fence is an unavoidable obstacle in real life like it is in Pokemon? Or that you need a stair becuase that hill is slightly steep like you have to do in Earthbound? That you have to find a bridge to cross that stream like you do in Sacred. Find keys (although that is really complicated in real life too), drive following the trafic rules (aplicable to any open world game that involves driving) that thing that most of have tried in GTA for 5 minutes, have a deep conversation with an stranger (most NPC just have one or two lines of dialogs), have to go yourself to the store because call a delivery because that is not an option in videogames, take your time to eat and not disappear the food with the press of a key, take a nap (sometimes I just need to rest for an hour not 8 hours or an entire day) take a bus, call a lawer when you go to jail, those and many things more that probably I'm forgetting are my list of things that I consider more complicated in games.

Thanks for this contest to Razer and GOG!!!!
PS: just ignore the other comment, I wrote another one because I don't know if I can edit it.
PS2: third time's the charm.
Moving.

In real life there are no times where a 50 centimeters of walls could block even the most puny teenager.

In games? Even the most bad ass protagonist can't defeat gnomic walls sometimes...
In real life, being polite to strangers is normal, but trying to be civil to NPCs is really hard. Can't apologise when your character bumps into a random pedestrian in the street!
Maintaining a constant schedule.

Put it like this, You got events & you try to plan for each occasions IRL

But In-game you are likely to get sidetracked.

Open-world games are classic examples along with sandbox games.
Post edited May 08, 2021 by Dannsync