It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our RPG Month is still in full swing and to keep the spirit of adventure alive, we're running a special Darkest Dungeon contest. Just enter by telling us what you like about roguelikes for a chance to win the game with all the DLCs and the official softcover art book!

You have time to join until September 27th, 3 PM UTC.
I like them because they get back to the essence, the core of what inspires people to go on adventures within the realm of video games, even moreso than the adventures you can go on with other media like books, movies and so forth.

They create a situation where you always have a new adventure each time you play them. You may begin to understand the general feel of the world or the gameplay systems but no matter what, you can never truly know how your adventure will go because of the procedural generation. They also create infinite opportunity for you to craft emergent, unique stories no matter how you play and that is the true meaning of a roleplaying game, in my honest opinion.

So while I typically prefer my games to have a narrative to them, I also do really enjoy games that offer virtually limitless replayability and the opportunity to create my own story, just like roguelikes tend to do!
I like them because they are always different every time you play. You can't map it out or remember how to complete the game from a previous playthrough, and they are extremely replayable. I can't count how many times I've played NetHack, which is always a fresh game every time.
I like roguelikes because they present a different challenge every time you play them.
What I like about roguelikes is that you get to know the games really well. Because they're designed to be played many times, great care tends to be taken to reduce the negative effects of repetitiveness, and to optimize the playing experience. This means that it generally doesn't feel like a chore to start out again, but that you're always up and running swiftly, with everything about the start being familiar, with lots of little details that have been filled with meaning due to the many times you've passed them before.
I like them because they offer the ability to enjoy casual gameplay. The best roguelikes are ones which give you rewards which can be used in future playthroughs.
Though is fear of the unknown in those games, that fear is very pleasant, exploring almost always a new path with new challenges and treasures. That is what I love about rogue-likes, the pleasant unknown.
I like roguelikes cause I like to suffer.
Replayability, In a game where you die a lot, variation is basic.

The fear to die and lose progress make every game important. In a game where every start and playthrough can be a bit different, it is an achievement.

Barebones dungeonering
I love how roguelikes make you adapt to the situation at hand. No playthrough is alike and you might not have access to your favorite spell or equipment, you'll have to make do with what you have.

I also love how you evolve with each run. The first few times you'll die pretty early, but after two dozen runs you'll consistently reach the later parts of the game. You can see yourself improving as a player.
I like that I always feel like I'm exploring with rogue likes. Two of my favorites are FTL and Tales of Maj'eyal. Both encourage you to keep playing because ever run is different because of the environment, your style, and the options available to you. I love working to unlock new classes and then trying them out. I also love that the games don't require hundreds of hours to complete, rather you play for hundreds of hours because you want to try one more time.
My interest in roguelikes has inspired me to create a variant of the genre: the rougelike. In ‘The Floor is Lava’, the player must avoid all red game objects (lava pits, dragons and fire elementals). This may sound simple, but the levels are, of course, procedurally generated, so the player must properly learn and understand the game’s mechanics.

A limerick about the previously mentioned game:
There once was a girl from Tralee
Who’d eagerly look for a key
She fell into lava
While sipping at java
Then started once more with some glee
Post edited September 27, 2021 by demoninthecave
I like roguelikes because they feel alive. The element of the ever-changing world and situational adventure they provide is something that keeps you interested not only because it creates replayability (more time in-game) but because the time spent within the game feels more important; this variation of the game world may never be seen by anyone else ever again but you.
Roguelikes is good but every game launched it's always either very good or very bad and nothing in between. The problem with badf roguelike games is that I felt that developers rely too much on random chance without balancing fun gameplay. For great games like FTL and Izuna the legend of unemployed ninja we also getting garbage roguelikes thrown in just for the sake of moneygrab.
Post edited September 20, 2021 by RedRagan
I like that adrenaline bump up when crawling into the dark ...
Well, first let's make it clear that DD is a roguelite, not a roguelike, that territory still belongs to closer relatives of the original Rogue, like NetHack. But in either case, if the game is well designed, they bring endless fresh and new playthroughs, constant learning and self-improvement (I always thought I was only doing better through better weapons, but getting all the way to the Hand on a fresh start in Dead Cells showed that clearly my skills had improved much as well), new discoveries, and maybe, if all goes really well, someday even beating the game.