It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our RPG Month is still in full swing and to keep the spirit of adventure alive, we're running a special Darkest Dungeon contest. Just enter by telling us what you like about roguelikes for a chance to win the game with all the DLCs and the official softcover art book!

You have time to join until September 27th, 3 PM UTC.
I like roguelikes because they offer an iterative process with which the player can approach the game.

When you play a sprawling RPG that doesn't allow for skill resets, it's possible to find yourself half-way through the game when you realize that you've specced your character all wrong. You know that starting the game again would probably be the best way to right these wrongs. But when you've already sunk 40 hours into the game, the prospect of doing that seems pretty daunting. You fall off the game, adding it to ever growing backlog of games you wished you'd finished.

A roguelike has no such issues. You are free to approach the game with the ideal of fail fast, fix fast. If something doesn't work, you quickly learn that it doesn't. You character or party wipes, leaving you to start all over again with the knowledge you have. It's like you've been given the almighty power bestowed to Bill Murray in groundhog day. This way you can iteratively change your play style or character build in order to eventually defeat the darkest dungeon, save the universe, acquire the macguffin, or whatever end state satisfies having "finished" the game to you.

It's rinse, repeat, roguelike.
The reality of things is, I was not a fan of roguelikes, at all, I was not usually good at them game mechanics wise, and I hated loosing what little progress I could make. UNTIL I played Darkest Dungeon. The story and characters really drew me in, and I learned to love the iterative game experience. Knowing that a new run would be different from the past now gave hope rather than frustration - so in a way I an credit Darkest Dungeon with breaking me out of my old roguelike funk. The infinite reliability is a big plus too, and while I do take breaks, sometimes for a year or more, I still enjoy coming back and trying new things, new character combinations, new personal challenges, rather than have to follow the same structure or know how a fight is going to go before it even starts. 10/10 would roguelike again.
I like them because i feel the adventure and thrill that i don't really get anywhere else. And the replayability that makes me want to keep playing even after i finished the game.
I like the random nature of the genre, and the usually simplistic nature of the controls. Makes it easy to pick up a game for just a few minutes at a time.
Rogue like games were the first games I played on PC so the nostalgia is strong.
I like that you get a fresh experience every time.
I like them because you can keep playing them without really running out of game. I also hate them because you can keep playing them without running out of game.

I spent many an hour in nethack...
I like rogue likes because sometimes it can go really right a good run or really bad
The cool thing about roguelikes is that there is a new experience every time and that makes it challenging in its own way. It is based in both skill and luck which can lead to semi frustrating experience but that just makes it all the better when you can actually beat it.
GOG.com: Our RPG Month is still in full swing and to keep the spirit of adventure alive, we're running a special Darkest Dungeon contest. Just enter by telling us what you like about roguelikes for a chance to win the game with all the DLCs and the official softcover art book!

I love being able to keep replaying the game as the gameplay changes up. It provides so much replay value that most other game types just don't see.
GOG.com: Our RPG Month is still in full swing and to keep the spirit of adventure alive, we're running a special Darkest Dungeon contest. Just enter by telling us what you like about roguelikes for a chance to win the game with all the DLCs and the official softcover art book!

Rougelikes are great at keeping games interesting - they take it one further when they add things like lineage.

I wish some games would incorporate more rogue elements. Imagine a randomly generated final fantasy game once you have completed the story once, here is "What if" to keep you interested.
I like that every time I play, there is a new experience.
I like that the dungeons are randomly generated.

I like roguelikes because gameplay changes each time you play. Same gameplay = boredom.
I like the (sometimes) endless variation. Unlike many genres that are more "one and done" (e.g. once you've played it through you know the basic structure and template), roguelikes usually are varied in a way that increases both playability and enjoyment (keyword: usually!). ;)