It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our RPG Month is still in full swing and to keep the spirit of adventure alive, we're running a special Darkest Dungeon contest. Just enter by telling us what you like about roguelikes for a chance to win the game with all the DLCs and the official softcover art book!

You have time to join until September 27th, 3 PM UTC.
I like the replay value of roguelikes.
I like not knowing what to expect. I like the surprises that come with finding new awesome gear. I love when you get a run that breaks the game!
challenging, difficult, interesting. A blow, a jump, a dodge or an arrow... wow it's a lot of emotion... good music and good atmosphere, make roguelike a very entertaining genre.
Of course what to like are all game possibilities.
I love the player progression, it is the genre that makes you feel like you are making constant improvement.
I like them because they remind me the classic D&D board games: no two gaming sessions are alike
There are a few things I love about Roguelikes. One is that the constant change of the game increases the tension. I may find a player build I like, but I never know how it'll play it out because I don't know what the game will throw at me. The feeling of accomplishment with a win is great, but it also means that a win this time doesn't guarantee one next time, because I can only rely on parts of my knowledge from a previous playthrough.
I like the eery suspension of losing a well built character but pulling a survival manouver regardless.
Variability.
Story-based RPGs can offer meaningful, well-contextualized choices.
At the sandbox edge of the spectrum you get more player-driven adventure, building up your own story.
Roguelikes are the weakest, laziest derivation of RPGs short of "action" branded Diablo clones, but by endlessly shuffling the deck they do offer more tactical novelty with every decontextualized encounter than you find in either sandbox or story-based series.
I love the replayability that they have. They also have a lot of variety in successful strategies which allows for a lot of fun experimentation while playing! It also doesn't feel as bad when you lose, since its partially expected.
The thing i most love in roguelikes is having to adapt constantly to everything the game throws at you, either good or bad.
I like them not only because they are so replayable, but because the more you learn and experience, the more you come to learn how much depth there is, and how much more there is to experience and learn. It never gets dull!
Every failed run leads to a fresh start, building on past mistakes and knowledge gained.
GOG.com: Our RPG Month is still in full swing and to keep the spirit of adventure alive, we're running a special Darkest Dungeon contest. Just enter by telling us what you like about roguelikes for a chance to win the game with all the DLCs and the official softcover art book!
Ooh, can my crew do it this time? How far will we get? Will the item drops be helpful?
Damn you, random number generator!! Yes! We've made it to a breathing space! Now to press onward, keep going, just keep going....
:)
I like that the systems that make a game 'roguelike' allow for greater consequences for failure.

If I die in a game like dead cells, I have to start the run from scratch. If I lose a hero in Darkest Dungeon, I have to continue without them, no loading an earlier save to try again.

Games that do this well can build a lot of tension, and lead to unique and memorable experiences.