It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our RPG Month is still in full swing and to keep the spirit of adventure alive, we're running a special Darkest Dungeon contest. Just enter by telling us what you like about roguelikes for a chance to win the game with all the DLCs and the official softcover art book!

You have time to join until September 27th, 3 PM UTC.
To me, there are two elements that constitute a good game: entertainment and achievement.

Entertainment: Simple. A good game must be fun to play, for whatever reason.

The feeling of achievement is where modern games often lack. Often, you can't really lose. You're either stalling or progressing. And if you can't lose, you also can't win, at least emotion-wise. But as in the ever changing rougelikes, you can lose it all at any given moment, victories are huge.

So, why do I love roguelikes? Because they are ACTUAL GAMES, and because of the sense of achievement and ultimate euphory at the end.
Thanks very much to you guys for such a cool little contest.

I think a major part of what I enjoy about Roguelikes is the random nature of their progression. I mean it goes without saying that a large part of how you play depends on the skills and tricks you learn for how the world of the game operates, but there's also the fact that there's a fair mix of difficulty in the environment of the world as well. You never know what kind of challenge you'll be in store for with each run, and the best that you can do is hope that you stick it out by understanding the rules of the world and how to make them work in your favor with each challenge.

Admittedly the progression system of roguelites is equally fun, wherein you have the same element of challenge while also giving your character a bit of personal growth, but in cases like with Darkest Dungeon , Binding of Isaac or Enter the Gungeon, it's really a test of patience in the face of the unpredictable, much like with the real world. Thus, it makes it a fun little grind to get away from life while also not having to worry about being tied down to a massive game to invest so much time in.

Again, I appreciate the chance to share a bit about what this genre means to me, and I hope for the best for myself and for this fine community.
(message deleted by its author)
Post edited October 12, 2021 by rgk4
What I love about roguelikes?

In a word: "Replayability."

If the game cannot be played through more than once and fails to offer a different experience with every playthrough, then the game is simply not a roguelike.
Post edited September 16, 2021 by user deleted
Roguelikes offer a sense of getting better with each run, learning something new, and overcoming previously thought to be unwinnable challenges. What starts off hard soon becomes easy, only to run into a new wall, then surpassing that as well. Death isn't a 'game over', so much as it is, 'you didn't do that right, try again'. It's about becoming master of your own fate, even if fate tends to kick you in the balls over and over.
I enjoy inflicting pain upon myself so naturally Darkest Dungeon is my favourite game.
Taking the world roguelike in a non-rigid way, and including games that can be called roguelikes, I like how you must learn how to get better without counting on route memorization, as the RNG is always going to surprise you for good or bad. I prefer when there are elements that stay unlocked making each run begin with a different potential and making you feel like you are making progress despite the deaths, and even turning death in a pleasant part of the game. If well done and balanced, I don't mind exchanging this for my beloved manual saves. I'd love to get to play Darkest Dungeon with all the DLCs!
Post edited September 17, 2021 by Dogmaus
Well... replayability is the key, but also the variability in what are you going to encounter next.

You have to learn the game mechanics, and usually decide "on the fly" how are you going to advance. You cannot just learn "how and when enemies move" to advance, because normally it won't repeat again.So you are left out with the mechanics to win. Love it!
Same reason why I maintain a list of video game randomizers on my website:

Limitless replayability.
A Roguelike Haiku

I like Rogue-like games
A rewarding frustration
THEY will never die

But seriously -- I think the BEST rogue-likes tease you with their simplicity and sustain the belief that you CAN ultimately beat this thing. Mechanically, they are straight-forward, ultimately making you feel like you know JUST what you have to do. All it takes is discipline....patience....be PRUDENT rather than reckless and you GOT this.....it's just a matter of time. Oooo! See?!! I think this may be my very best run yet! I've never seen thi....oh, DAMN! Argh.... should have known better...

What's not to LOVE! .
The action and RPG elements as well as learning and improving with every attempted.
I enjoy the high level of replayability.
Roguelites are a lot like science: throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.
My favourite thing about rogue-likes is the sensation of discovery, every time you start a new rogue-like you have to learn how to play, discover all the powers and weapons skills and weakness, how to use them, how to fight the enemies, found secrets, and every playthrough is different so the scence of found a new secret never gets old, and even after you die you have the the excuse for another playthroug so you can apply all what you learn, that is why I love rogue-likes.
I never liked min/max players who try to dominate a game with the math it is based on.
I am an old gamer from the Arcade age and enjoy the thrill to see how far one can get with one quarter, aka one life.
To indulge in the challenge of the let's see how far one can get with one chance never gets old.
Like in RL, you put everything into it and try to make the best out of that one.