It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our RPG Month is still in full swing and to keep the spirit of adventure alive, we're running a special Darkest Dungeon contest. Just enter by telling us what you like about roguelikes for a chance to win the game with all the DLCs and the official softcover art book!

You have time to join until September 27th, 3 PM UTC.
I already have the game, but isn't the artbook purchaseable?
Also Gog, all the game's 100+ achievements and the Butcher's Circus DLC are missing!
I like them because you can usually take them in bite-sized pieces. They're not 100-hour playthroughs, but usually a relatively brief experience that can add up to 100+ hours.
There are two things about roguelikes that I find myself enjoying:

The first thing is that sometimes during a run, you wind up with a combination of items and/or perks that play off each other perfectly. This can range from just being overpowered, allowing you to march your way through the game, or just over-the-top amazing, like dropping a bunch of bombs that explode into coins. These combinations are often really fun to use, and can become very memorable moments of gameplay.

The second and more important thing, at least to me, is the near-constant feeling that the next run could be better. No matter how good or bad a run is, no matter if I beat a run or died trying, there's a nine out of ten chance I'll start another run because of that feeling alone. It's an oddly addicting mindset that drives me to keep playing these types of games.
The quality of a run should be based off the player's skill more so than luck.
I like the mental challenge of roguelikes. They're a logic puzzle and because of the random elements you have to pay attention to understand how the game works, and then be ready to adapt as you get different options with each run.
Knowing there are several possible paths but not knowing which will present itself and navigating that is very satisfying.
#GOGxDarkestDungeon

Having a terminal case of masochism roguelikes are perfection because there will always be one more try. Technically you never truly beat the game. The game always eventually defeats you when you just stop playing.
What I love about roguelikes, is how much they can instill a significant amount of fear and excitement in you, despite the adventures happening in a fictional environment; you get severely punished by making mistakes, so the game feels too real! To me, it feels as if roguelikes strengthen some positive qualities in you, like patience, perseverance, strategic and tactical thinking, adaptability, all of that and more, because if your character or group of characters die, it's not like in other games, you don't get a second chance, all of that progress is gone for good.

Roguelikes impart some life lessons, how sometimes you never get a second chance, how long term planning can go down the drain because you didn't pay attention to the present happenings, or how focusing too much on the short term can spell disaster in future endeavors, because you didn't prepare well enough for those "what could possibly go wrong?" moments. The roguelike genre is one of the most demanding genres out there, expecting you to take the hit like a champ and keep going. I don't think my prespective on games will ever be the same after playing roguelike games, sometimes I even end up playing non-roguelike games as if they belong to that style of gaming, just so that things feel a bit more lethal, a bit more gritty, and plenty more fun!
roguelikes are great because their repetitive nature helps distract me from the grim, meathook realities of this dismal fleshborne existence
no it , i dont like this game too random and punishing, hope the winners will like it
The agony of defeat.

The ecstacy of victory.

The learning curve that starts out as bewliderment, evolves into intrigue and is reborn as satisfaction.

The permadeath of aeons!
Compared to many other genres, Roguelikes can be repeated and played through many, many times.
Thanks for the contest, GOG and Red Hook Studios!

I like roguelikes because of the high pressure and high stakes environment they construct. Sometimes there's an attachment one gets after countless hours invested into a challenge that you cannot stop until you actually finish it. And it becomes absolutely cathartic.
Roguelike games keeps you on the edge until the end of game. Next big thing for all rog like games are random generation that flows trough game play making each play trough special, No other genre can't do that.
Post edited September 16, 2021 by Kaspeyskis
Grid-based moves at play
Micro-tactics all the way
I will dream my game

I will often die
Fight, and fall, and want to cry
Then I'll hit retry

Dice will shape my run
Endless tactics, endless fun
Where's my afternoon?

Wait until it clicks
Once it does, I'll get my kicks
That will never end
To be fair I prefer rougelite more due to a feel of progress (i.e. Hades or West of Dead), but the rougelike main genre is fine, as well. My favourite rougelike is Dungeon of the Endless; I have 40+ hours in it and never got out as of yet. xD But I'm not giving the game the satisfaction to play it on 'Very Easy.'
So to answer the question: The opportunity to fight once more, that I can learn from my mistakes and I can try again. It is not a problem that I fail, as failure is just a new opportunity. It helps me reflect on life. :)