It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our RPG Month is still in full swing and to keep the spirit of adventure alive, we're running a special Darkest Dungeon contest. Just enter by telling us what you like about roguelikes for a chance to win the game with all the DLCs and the official softcover art book!

You have time to join until September 27th, 3 PM UTC.
These kind of games somehow manage to make routine fun. I hate routine in pretty much any form - and yet, I can't help but enjoy playing them. Maybe someday I'll figure out their trick. Maybe not
I like roguelikes because there is a sense of progression no matter what. Most also have a type of strategic gameplay to them that is in the here and now, ie. what is the best move to make in the current situation going forward.
Is the stealth mechanics. Nothing gets your adrenaline pumping like wondering if the NPC has spotted you. :)
I think my favourite part of roguelikes is how much changes up every time, so no two playthroughs are the same and you can keep building on existing knowledge and skill without the game feeling stale and having new challenges.
I like the fact that it's one of the few genres I actually finish. Games are short and intense and you can start and stop easily I also like the sense of achievement given they are often wrote difficult.
I love roguelites because they play like meaningful repetition. It’s not just doing the same thing again and again, but it’s using the same mechanics and world in different ways through procedural generation. Each run is both familiar and new at the same time. This makes them one of the most engaging game genres, and is why I can spend thousands of hours in a game and still feel like each playthrough is different.
To me, the best thing about roguelikes is how much you play them (bare with me). Playing a game over and over, even after reaching the 'end' is pretty magical because it means that the developers made an experience worth revisiting countless times. They put so much care into designing every room, every encounter, every mechanic so that it's just as rewarding to experience the first time or the thousandth.
I like roguelikes because every game is different. You'll have different builds, the areas will be set up differently, you'll face different challenges (either from the area layout, what you've found, or a different enemy composition).
GOG.com: Our RPG Month is still in full swing and to keep the spirit of adventure alive, we're running a special Darkest Dungeon contest. Just enter by telling us what you like about roguelikes for a chance to win the game with all the DLCs and the official softcover art book!

You have time to join until September 27th, 3 PM UTC.
I like how replayable rogue-like games are. Even when you beat it, there's always more to come back for, to explore, to discover.
Built-in Replayability.
I like the replayability and the abilities my characters gain. I tend to get attached to my characters so it bums me out when one dies.
The certainty that you will always have a randomly generated "new game" even with every death is a good incentive to play and be able to overcome new challenges.
That I keep dying, so when I stay alive, I feel accomplished
I enjoy the fact that these games test your mettle and quick wit, as well as your ability to think fast and time your reaction correctly. These games push you to consistently do better and improve your performance in a way that is both interesting and innovative, keeping players invested throughout. Just when you think you've learned all you need and you begin getting comfortable, the game amps up the difficulty and introduces an entire new challenge. Suffice it to say it's a lot of fun!
Post edited September 21, 2021 by PufiDude
I like that roguelikes force you to be creative. You face something different every time so you can't just follow the same optimized formula and expect to succeed. And when you do fail, there's usually something to be learned that will help you adapt better the next time around.