It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our RPG Month is still in full swing and to keep the spirit of adventure alive, we're running a special Darkest Dungeon contest. Just enter by telling us what you like about roguelikes for a chance to win the game with all the DLCs and the official softcover art book!

You have time to join until September 27th, 3 PM UTC.
It's the randomization and odds of the dice that keep a roguelike interesting. It's always stacked against you, you're playing against the house, each level down into the pit gets harder and harder, but you keep going, you try different classes through different lives, each time trying to get just a little further, trying to outdo your previous games. You're learning how to beat the game on its own terms, searching for exploits or things that you can use to keep your head above the water. That's what makes roguelikes so much fun, it's all about the exploitation and beating your head against a wall.
My reason for liking roguelikes is how it brings me back to a simpler time, where I'd have to constantly try new strategies to point I felt like I was just banging my head against the wall just to finish the mission. Too many games nowadays don't provide a enough of a challenge to me, which is part of the reason I have for liking roguelike, and souls-like, games. The other part would be how it just gives a sense of accomplishment like no other. The rush of beating a certain part of game after trial and error for hours on end is exhilarating to me. I just can't get enough of it.
Being able to play and understand the mechanics through repetition while still having the game and levels fresh and interesting. This is the strength and what I love about rogue likes.
I love roguelikes! It is rewarding, challenging and damn addicting!
I like the fun mechanics.
Although I don't really want to add any more "stress" or "burden" to my life... but there is something about roguelike genres that makes the game kinda tough to let go or not replay again. Somehow when I play, me as a emotional type whom tend to think too much, I tend to put emotions in the decisions. Causing multiple failures, and tragic moments where i just give up. Yet despite the feeling, I just keep going back. Well, could be a valuable lesson and or tormenting lesson. Anyways, it was still an enjoyable moment when the anxiety stress kicks in. Now with me struggling with mental health, I do try to be cautious when choosing genres.
This is probably going to sound strange, but I find roguelikes to be very relaxing. Given their normally unforgiving difficulty, the expected outcome of a roguelike is that you're probably going to lose unless the RNG is in your favor. So I usually go into a roguelike with a fairly zen mood because I realize that I'm really just along for the ride and don't really care about how well I do (which also has the side-effect of making wins very exciting). Also, the randomness of roguelikes means that I'm always going to have content to play that feels fresh, and the relatively brief sessions compared to other genres means that I can usually squeeze a run or two in even if my schedule is busy. With that in mind, I find it relaxing to kick back with a roguelike at the end of a rough day, play a few runs, and see where the RNG takes me whether it be a really good run or repeated crushing defeats.
Post edited September 21, 2021 by SpikedWallMan
I like rogue-like video games because they remind of the classic D&D board games
Everything
Has all the excitement of combat and exploration and the surprises the game offers as you continue your trek
RPG's cant take me to magical places, for instance a highshool, a medieval castle, the expanse of space, and more, without having to leave the confines of my home!
A roguelike creates a flow for the story which would be ruined by saving and loading. It also leaves much to the players own imagination like a good fantasy book - which is sometimes titillating, other times unnerving.
Post edited September 21, 2021 by Gafeger
The endless replayability does it for me.
I like how roguelikes provide a different experience each time you play. This means you can't just memorize a fixed solution, and you have to understand the game's mechanics to perform well.
I like the fact that they help us think startegically, that we hae to think over how to best defeat our opponents and that every gameplay is different.