It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

huppumies: Låt den rätte komma in by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I liked the film, thought I'd pick up the book.
I liked both the movie (original one) and the book :) I wish to reread it some day in Swedish.

I'm currently reading:
Claudius the God and His Wife Messalina by Robert Graves (I caved in to my ocd .___.)
Beneath the Mother Tree by D.M. Cameron.
Maurice by E. M. Forster.
Anne of Green Gables on Amazon Kindle Lite app on apknite.
Confessions of an English opium-eater by Thomas De Quincey
Suite Française: Storm in June: A Graphic Novel by Emmanuel Moynot.

I'm also reading Koulusurmat: yhteiskunnalliset ja psykologiset taustat ja ehkäisy by Punamäki et al. and Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters by Peter Langman, both on school shootings.
Post edited October 29, 2019 by huppumies
PhilD: Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

Just finished The Shining. What a great book! (Pretty much
ruined the movie for me though.) Now on to the sequel...
SPOILER WARNING REGARDING THE SHINING

And here I enjoyed the movie far more than the book, I thought the book was pretty boring and pointless. The father was a dick from the first page so his descent into violence and insanity wasn't nearly as terrifying as it could have been if he had been a nuanced but flawed person.

Right now I'm reading Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. Interesting concept, overall enjoyable read.
Post edited October 29, 2019 by user deleted
Article: Der Zwei-Klassen-Aktivismus by Chika Unigwe
Translation of It's Not Just Greta: Why are the Developing World's Inspiring Activists Being Ignored?.
Post edited October 30, 2019 by viperfdl
PhilD: Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

Just finished The Shining. What a great book! (Pretty much
ruined the movie for me though.) Now on to the sequel...
DadJoke007: SPOILER WARNING REGARDING THE SHINING

And here I enjoyed the movie far more than the book, I thought the book was pretty boring and pointless. The father was a dick from the first page so his descent into violence and insanity wasn't nearly as terrifying as it could have been if he had been a nuanced but flawed person.
I had, completely, the opposite reaction. I was surprised at how much more there
was to the Jack Torrance character in the book (all the main characters really.)
I really got invested in them.

I suppose I exaggerated a bit when I said the book "ruined" the movie for me (I had
just finished the book and really enjoyed it.) I still do enjoy the movie as well,
especially for Jack Nicholson's excellent performance and the iconic visuals. It
just feels a little light in the story telling now that I've read the book.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread so I'll just say I'm still reading Doctor
Sleep. It's interesting so far. Hopefully that will continue.
Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey.
Article: Der Showdown
Translation of Global Warming and the Future of Humanity: An Interview With Noam Chomsky and Graciela Chichilnisky
The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett
Golden Calf by Ilya Ilf and Eugene Petrov
The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy.
A Column of Fire by Ken Follett.
Post edited November 06, 2019 by ConsulCaesar
I am reading Healing Mushrooms by Tero Isokauppila. It's, as you can imagine by the title, a non-fiction book about the medicinal use of some mushrooms, like reishi, chaga and lion's mane. Beside being very educational, it's written in a witty way and the author calls himself a "funguy".