It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Cause there's no business like show-business!

Our DRM-Free approach to digital distribution has been the foundation of GOG.com since day one and we're convinced it is now firmly rooted in the gaming industry landscape. More and more users start to expect and demand the digital content they paid for to be free from any kind of restrictive mechanisms that limit access to their collections and get in the way of enjoyment. We think this is a good time to take the next step in our quest to make digital entertainment better for everyone. Today we set out to spread our DRM-Free ideas across the movie industry! That's right: GOG.com now offers DRM-Free movies.

Our goal is to offer you cinema classics as well as some all-time favorite TV series with no DRM whatsoever, for you to download and keep on your hard drive or stream online whenever you feel like it. We talked to most of the big players in the movie industry and we often got a similar answer: "We love your ideas, but … we do not want to be the first ones. We will gladly follow, but until somebody else does it first, we do not want to take the risk". DRM-Free distribution is not a concept their lawyers would accept without hesitation. We kind of felt that would be the case and that it's gonna take patience and time to do it, to do it, to do it right. That's quite a journey ahead of us, but every gamer knows very well that great adventures start with one small step. So why not start with something that feels very familiar? We offer you a number of gaming and internet culture documentaries - all of them DRM-Free, very reasonably priced, and presenting some fascinating insight into topics close to a gamer's heart. Now, what do we have in store for you?

- There's a whole new Movie Catalog for you to browse!
- All the movies we sell are priced at $5.99 (that's a launch promo price for a few of them), and we aim to have that as the main price point for most of our future releases
- Two of the movies - The Art of Playing and TPB AFK: The Pirate Bay Away From Keyboard are available for FREE, so that you can test our new movie distribution features
- Most of our movies are in Full HD 1080p quality, some in 720p. With those of you with limited bandwidth or download quota in mind, we also supply much lighter 576p versions.
- Apart from downloading your movies you have the option to watch them streaming online, right here on GOG.com
- GOG.com is famous for its bonus goodies - each movie will come with as many of them as we can muster
- You can expect subsequent movie releases each week

That's it. GOG.com Movies is a go, time to get some popcorn!
u2jedi: Unfortunately the situation with patents is a huge mess. Google tried to push a free codec VP8 (and now VP9) in WebM, but MPEG-LA cartel managed to sabotage wider adoption with FUD because Google weren't diligent enough to disprove that FUD. They waited too long until court cases to prove that claims are false, but it already did public damage. Then also Nokia came along (probably on behalf of Microsoft) and started patent trolling attacking VP8 with their claims to IETF.
The idea of posting that google is the white sheep who was trying to make good is totally wrong. I am for one glad that they killed Google attempt to steal others work (as usual, if you track Google activities you would know that's what they do) and use that to have more control (Like Ajax which helps them track more of your activities).
eRe4s3r: I would very much like Anime here, but only with original audio and PROPER subtitles ;) Not what Crunchyrolls calls that....
phaolo: Me too! But also with dubs, as sometimes I switch to them when I'm tired or I'm multitasking.
Also, there could be some interesting goodies with them.

I still wish that GOG could improve the file size for 720p videos, however.
Optimally I'd want dual audio.. that's the best of 2 worlds.. but yeah, with Anime we probably have to make our case for better 720p encodes than what they offer currently, but as I see it GOG just takes whatever it gets from the actual IP owner.

Still, if I could get some of the better Anime here for a fair price... I may actually buy some Anime..
i was kinda expecting the video library to look like a video store shelf....you guys do remember what a video store looked like right? with vhs shaped boxes with banged up corners

idea for extras: DVD case covers
themathninja: Unfortunately, none of the large studios are likely to embrace DRM-free any time soon, so the only thing we can look forward to on here is vanity project documentaries. It would be awesome if anything came of this, but I hightly doubt it'll be anyrthing more than GOG wasting resources on something a small minority of their users benefit from.
Indie film makers can have more sense and support DRM-free distribution first. Isn't it the same with games?
kaileeena: The idea of posting that google is the white sheep who was trying to make good is totally wrong. I am for one glad that they killed Google attempt to steal others work (as usual, if you track Google activities you would know that's what they do) and use that to have more control (Like Ajax which helps them track more of your activities).
First of all, it's total bunk about stealing anyone's work. Google bought On2, the company which developed VPx codecs and released them under open license and royalty free. Those codecs don't violate anything from MPEG-LA patents, and campaign against them was complete FUD. To clarify, I consider software patents to be a complete idiocy to begin with, but even if they exist, VPx didn't infringe anything from MPEG-LA as courts established in Germany case. Not sure what happened to Nokia's patent trolling attempt though, they used a different list of patents than MPEG-LA, but I wouldn't give them much credit either.

I don't consider Google a "white knight". But disrupting the sickening closed codecs scene is a very critical step for the open Web. Google could have self interest in doing it, but what they tried to do does benefit everyone, that's why MPEG-LA cartel and the likes of MS were so angry about it.

However Google made a strategic mistake. They only thought about legal attacks, assuming that if they can successfully refute them in court the way will be cleared up. But for adoption public perception was not less important than the legal status. I.e. Google can prove many times in court that patents of attackers have nothing to do with them, but the FUD already poisoned the minds, and general perception would be "it's just too risky".

That's why projects for new open codecs like Opus and Daala chose the strategy to attack any FUD heads on, and disprove slander with factual analysis before it blows out of proportion.

See [url=http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/video/Free_Codecs_Update_Opus_and_Daala.ogv]http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/video/Free_Codecs_Update_Opus_and_Daala.ogv[/url]
Post edited August 28, 2014 by shmerl
this new feature made me buy my first online movie ever, apart from the amanita design humble bundle,which included that awesome Kooky movie

http://amanita-design.net/about/projects/kooky.html

but concerning the drm free movies feature, well, all I can say is no regrets; awesome, guys! this surely surprised moi
it's great! I find this pretty neat, if you ask me
Post edited August 28, 2014 by vicklemos
themathninja: Unfortunately, none of the large studios are likely to embrace DRM-free any time soon, so the only thing we can look forward to on here is vanity project documentaries. It would be awesome if anything came of this, but I hightly doubt it'll be anyrthing more than GOG wasting resources on something a small minority of their users benefit from.
shmerl: Indie film makers can have more sense and support DRM-free distribution first. Isn't it the same with games?
kaileeena: The idea of posting that google is the white sheep who was trying to make good is totally wrong. I am for one glad that they killed Google attempt to steal others work (as usual, if you track Google activities you would know that's what they do) and use that to have more control (Like Ajax which helps them track more of your activities).
shmerl: First of all, it's total bunk about stealing anyone's work. Google bought the company which developed VPx codecs and released them under open license and royalty free. Those codecs don't violate anything from MPEG-LA patents, and campaign against them was complete FUD. To clarify, I consider software patents to be a complete idiocy to begin with, but even if they exist, VPx didn't infringe anything from MPEG-LA as courts established in Germany case. Not sure what happened to Nokia's patent trolling attempt though, they used a different list of patents than MPEG-LA, but I wouldn't give them much credit either.

I don't consider Google a "white knight". But disrupting the sickening closed codecs scene is a very critical step for the open Web. Google could have self interest in doing it, but what they tried to do does benefit everyone, that's why MPEG-LA cartel and the likes of MS were so angry about it.

However Google made a strategic mistake. They only thought about legal attacks, assuming that if they can successfully refute them in court the way will be cleared up. But for adoption public perception was not less important than the legal status. I.e. Google can prove many times in court that patents of attackers have nothing to do with them, but the FUD already poisoned the minds, and general perception would be "it's just too risky".

That's why projects for new open codecs like Opus and Daala chose the strategy to attack any FUD heads on, and disprove slander with factual analysis before it blows out of proportion.

See [url=http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/video/Free_Codecs_Update_Opus_and_Daala.ogv]http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/video/Free_Codecs_Update_Opus_and_Daala.ogv[/url]
When I mentioned Google stealing I was talking about their general practice (Android, Motorola patents as leverage,...). Now regarding VPx codecs, it has been in fact infringing on a number of patents that MPEG-LA and Nokia owns. If it wasn't the case then Google would have won the court cases (which didn't happen, look how much fighting Google is doing in Android world cause it thinks it might have a chance). You could argue that patents are destroying options for free web but that doesn't change the fact that what Google was trying to do was stealing others work (whether it was Google or the company they bought).

Now lets assume that VPx could have seen light, as long as Google is the main controllers of it, it would have been a horrible thing as it gives that giant octopus more leverage on the internet than it currently has.

I have no idea about the new projects and problems they are having so thanks for the link.
kaileeena: When I mentioned Google stealing I was talking about their general practice (Android, Motorola patents as leverage,...).
Android was attacked by patents racketeers like MS and Oracle who either wanted to declare APIs copyrightable or just used their patents arsenals to intimidate Android vendors. In either case the crooks here were on the other side, so you picked a bad example. Motorola case is more relevant, since there Google could drop patent attacks, and they didn't.

kaileeena: Now regarding VPx codecs, it has been in fact infringing on a number of patents that MPEG-LA and Nokia owns.
No, all cases from MPEG-LA side were thrown out by the courts as far as I know. Nokia is still in the works (I didn't check lately). It's clear that Nokia serves as MS proxy here to simply attack competition and the open Web. It has nothing to do with "stealing" anyone's work.

kaileeena: Now lets assume that VPx could have seen light, as long as Google is the main controllers of it, it would have been a horrible thing as it gives that giant octopus more leverage on the internet than it currently has.
I don't really see how Google can subvert a codec which they released patent free and under BSD license. The main problem with them as I said wasn't the fact that Google originated the effort, but the fact that they didn't defend it against FUD and slander right away, so it gave an impression that Google had no counter arguments and resulted in perception that "it can't be non infringing".

kaileeena: I have no idea about the new projects and problems they are having so thanks for the link.
Those projects are very promising, and should be strongly supported. Also, unlike Google they don't have big controlling entities that run them so that could improve some trust as well.
Post edited August 28, 2014 by shmerl
I continue to be concerned about GOG "mission creep". I was so excited when GOG debuted because it was a pipeline for reviving classic games I love. Then we got new games. Now movies? What's next, music or - shudder - mobile gaming?

I fear as GOG gets farther and farther away from its core competencies we'll lose that sense of focus and community that made it so special. Already, with this site overhaul, it seems antiseptic and austere even in its color scheme. Visually, GOG seemed sleek yet friendly before. Now it's cold and generic. And with the addition of new types of content, I fear that we'll see fewer and fewer classic gaming treasures revived, which was the whole point we cared in the first place.
I think we need more forum sections, now with movies & Linux stuff on board.
Daliz: I think we need more forum sections, now with movies & Linux stuff on board.
+1. If anything needs an overhaul, it's not the UI, but the forum engine and structure here.

MiklCraw4d: I fear as GOG gets farther and farther away from its core competencies we'll lose that sense of focus and community that made it so special.
On one hand yes, on the other hand if GOG won't lead the DRM free advance in video, then who will? All others don't care to do anything useful whatsoever. Neither Netflix or Amazon, nor Google or whoever. They all are sold to DRM schemes. So we probably should be concerned that GOG can become too big, but on the other hand someone should push the video in DRM-free direction, and GOG already have competence in doing that kind of work with games.

For many GOG users the main attraction to GOG aren't just classical games, but the fact that GOG strongly stay DRM-free. I personally see no problem with new games at all. However I agree with you that as companies grow it becomes harder for them to stick to their values and stated principles. History shows it. So far though GOG did a decent job in that regard.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by shmerl
One of the ways that GOG could expand their movie catalog is by adding public domain films. Here is what I have found thus far.

The Little Shop of Horrors (1960)

Nosferatu (Public domain in the US, might not be the case in some European countries.)

Reefer Madness

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

Superman - 1940's Cartoons (Publicly domain, but ancillary merchandising rights are owned by Warner Brothers. I think that means GOG can give away the cartoons, but can't sell them.

Popeye the Sailor Meets Sinbad the Sailor

Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves

Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp

Debbie Does Dallas

The Three Stooges: Brideless Groom

The Three Stooges: Disorder in the Court

The Three Stooges: A Song of Six Pants

The Three Stooges: Malice in the Palace
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Sabin_Stargem
Sabin_Stargem: One of the ways that GOG could expand their movie catalog is by adding public domain films. Here is what I have found thus far.
Yes, that wouldn't hurt. Even more here: https://archive.org/details/moviesandfilms
Post edited August 29, 2014 by shmerl
I'm late to this thread, but I still want to say that I was completely caught off guard by this move. But I'm ultimately pleased with what has occurred. Now I'm off to read the more interesting comments in this thread :)
xerox2k4: i was kinda expecting the video library to look like a video store shelf....you guys do remember what a video store looked like right? with vhs shaped boxes with banged up corners
Best idea of the day! :) I like it.

MiklCraw4d: Then we got new games. Now movies? What's next, music or - shudder - mobile gaming?
Yes please, to all of those. As long as they are DRM-free.

GOG is at a disadvantage when from Humble Bundle you can get both the PC and Android versions of such classics as the Broken Sword games in a bundle, but from GOG you receive only the PC version.

MiklCraw4d: And with the addition of new types of content, I fear that we'll see fewer and fewer classic gaming treasures revived, which was the whole point we cared in the first place.
Who is this "we"? I originally joined the site to buy DRM-free Witcher 1-2, and there's only so many times I want to replay Leisure Suit Larry 1.

The classics that I am mostly interested are e.g. from 2001 to 2012, or so. So more of those, please. Can be some newer ones too.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by timppu
I think movies based on games would perform well on GOG (despite how bad a lot of them turned out to be):

- Mortal Kombat
- Street Fighter
- Tomb Raider
- Hitman
- Resident Evil
- Mario Bros. The Movie
Post edited August 29, 2014 by snip3rfire