It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

California dreamin'

1849 a city management sim set during the California Gold Rush that captivated millions to seek fame and wealth, is available on GOG.com for $12.74 (15% off the full price) until 9:59 AM GMT on 15 May 2014.

1849 is a memorable year in American history. It put a little town known as San Francisco on the map and transformed it into a boomtown. Thousands of gold seekers from all over the world, colloquially known as forty-niners, came to the territory of California looking to stake their own claim. It's because of this mad rush for gold that California has become known as a place where wealth can be found by sheer luck and audacity.

1849 follows the California Gold Rush as you start with a humble settlement and work to make it a booming, bustling center of trade. Hire workers, build a wide variety of buildings--ranging from saloons to humble workers' houses--and even manage trade networks.

Head west and strike it rich with 1849 for $12.74 (15% off the full price) before 9:59 AM GMT on 15 May 2014. 100% DRM-free ga-ron-teed, pardner.
gandalf.nho: Looks interesting, someone knows if is more similar to Sim City or Zeus/Pharaoh? Or like the Anno series?
JudasIscariot: Our testers said that it's more in the vein of the Zeus/Pharaoh city builders, if that helps :)
Thanks for the answer, will wishlist this for now.
Looks alot like Anno but only 52MB? Colour me very interested!
Wait, this isn't about football?
When I saw those characters moving, the first that came to my mind was... Theme Hospital...
My interest was piqued until I realised I was confusing 1849 with 1869.
tinyE: Wait, this isn't about football?
Depends on which football you mean. The football football (the one where you're kicking a ball with your feet) or... uhm... this... throwing an egg football?
There's a let's play here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bI2FOxLKo
blotunga: Cool, another city management...
And still, where the hell is Empire: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, I've been wanting to play that game ever since I've first heard of it.
Cough*coughh*...original CD-ROM version of E:RotM available for like 5$ on e-bay is working perfectly fine under Win7/Win8...*cough*cough

As for the 1849: looks kinda interesting, but price tag is rather high for the game with the obvious Androidus tableticus syndrome and without MP capabilities... Wishlisted, will wait for a sale.
Any news about Z from Bitmap Brothers coming to gog? Saw that Steam is releasing an updated version by Kavcom next month.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275530/
Post edited May 08, 2014 by Matruchus
Bit pricey - the original was around $2 :(
jamyskis: My interest was piqued until I realised I was confusing 1849 with 1869.
lol exactly the same here!
I loved playing The Patrician so I was just about to cheer until I recognized I somehow confused the year...such a shame.
Post edited May 08, 2014 by Zeeaire
Not interested.

The closer something is based on history, the less I'm interested in it. This is mostly due to that it is inherently biased in ways. It might be something familiar from our history to fall back on, but it's also falling back on a lot more; including cities, politics, money, views, etc. Same reason I don't enjoy most military games and drift more to sci-fi.
A bit interested, since I like city management with a fresh setting. And I don't have a problem with Android games on the PC, as long as they are done properly. Does seem pegged a little high price-wise though for such a title.
The thing is, the concept of the game is fine, but when I see those mobile-style graphics with the out-of-proportion "big" people I just hate it. I don't get it, why don't they use 2D graphics with a realistic style.
15 dollars?
I bought it for 1$ on indiegamestand some time ago. Got both steam and drm free version there.