It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

California dreamin'

1849 a city management sim set during the California Gold Rush that captivated millions to seek fame and wealth, is available on GOG.com for $12.74 (15% off the full price) until 9:59 AM GMT on 15 May 2014.

1849 is a memorable year in American history. It put a little town known as San Francisco on the map and transformed it into a boomtown. Thousands of gold seekers from all over the world, colloquially known as forty-niners, came to the territory of California looking to stake their own claim. It's because of this mad rush for gold that California has become known as a place where wealth can be found by sheer luck and audacity.

1849 follows the California Gold Rush as you start with a humble settlement and work to make it a booming, bustling center of trade. Hire workers, build a wide variety of buildings--ranging from saloons to humble workers' houses--and even manage trade networks.

Head west and strike it rich with 1849 for $12.74 (15% off the full price) before 9:59 AM GMT on 15 May 2014. 100% DRM-free ga-ron-teed, pardner.
GOG, be ashamed! You can see I didn't buy this, but I think you should offer everyone who bought it a refund (maybe in form of a game coupon for a classical city builder).

Please test your games next time to ensure they are good! It's not nice to sell SUCH things to people!
Protoss: GOG, be ashamed! You can see I didn't buy this, but I think you should offer everyone who bought it a refund (maybe in form of a game coupon for a classical city builder).

Please test your games next time to ensure they are good! It's not nice to sell SUCH things to people!
Whoa... don't you think you exaggerate a bit? I'm ~half way through the game and I do enjoy it. I'm first to admit that it's definitely not a masterpiece, far from that actually, it's just an average game. I can also agree that it's overpriced (especially when compared to mobile version) but it's not a broken game, it plays just fine and the gameplay, while in many aspects simplified, is reasonable enough to challenge and entertain a player. Why do you treat it as a some sort of abomination? My personal opinion is that the devs missed a good chance to sell a nice little game for a nice price. It would have been much better received if the price had been more or less half of the current price. But asking for a refund? I'm sorry to say it but it's just ridiculous.
Protoss: GOG, be ashamed! You can see I didn't buy this, but I think you should offer everyone who bought it a refund (maybe in form of a game coupon for a classical city builder).

I may still buy the game, even at this price, just for the entertainment value and my love of the Old West stuff.
I'll be going in with my eyes wide open, no cause for a refund whether I regret the purchase or not.
I don't think GOG is doing anything other than following the developers rules, as always.
Ghorpm: Why do you treat it as a some sort of abomination?
I read the reviews. :-)
Protoss: I read the reviews. :-)
The question was why do you treat it as an abomination, not why do they :|
Protoss: I read the reviews. :-)
And you blindly assumed that those selected reviews are 100% correct?! Oh, please! Maybe you should have read others that moderately praise the game? A statement like: "from what I see from the reviews the game is not worth my money nor time" would be understandable and I would be inclined to agree, especially about the price. But asking for a refund without even playing the game?! I'm sorry but it's still ridiculous.
Attractive release.
This game seems like it belongs as a full-price release years ago.
As soon as this game comes down in price I'm going to buy it. But more than $8 seems a bit steep
amcdermo: This game seems like it belongs as a full-price release years ago.
What you're doing here is judging a game by the graphics. Yes, it's 2D, but I assure you the code is probably quite up to date. Did you know that 2D graphics allow for more stylized and detailed images? Did you know that you're a knob? In addition to that, did you ever consider that there are plenty of people who still pine for the days when men were men and ...I'm getting off track here. Long story short, meh.
IAmSinistar: One more question (well, two) about Westward and then I'll give the thread back.

1) Which release of Westward do you recommend? Seems to be at least four in the series. (Their Tradewinds series looks good too.)

2) Does anyone use Amazon Digital Services for games? If so, how does it work? Is it like GG, where can download an offline installer to keep, or do you need to use a client to install and play?

Thanks folks!
Tradewinds is indeed good, though you might want to skip the first game, the series took off with Tradewinds 2. The mainstay of those games is the humour, not the filler-level gameplay, so keep that in mind. They are worth it just for the humour though.
Vercinger: Tradewinds is indeed good, though you might want to skip the first game, the series took off with Tradewinds 2. The mainstay of those games is the humour, not the filler-level gameplay, so keep that in mind. They are worth it just for the humour though.
Cheers, thanks for the info!
Grimrock = Nice. Now all I have is Krondor and Bard's Tale. Hmmm.... is $5 worth 1.5 days of my time........? This is where Keaning starts to work against gog. I won't be around for any impulse buys :( Thanks for the memories gog, Great Sale otherwise
amcdermo: This game seems like it belongs as a full-price release years ago.
ETOX: What you're doing here is judging a game by the graphics. Yes, it's 2D, but I assure you the code is probably quite up to date. Did you know that 2D graphics allow for more stylized and detailed images? Did you know that you're a knob? In addition to that, did you ever consider that there are plenty of people who still pine for the days when men were men and ...I'm getting off track here. Long story short, meh.
And where did I mention I was judging the game solely by its graphics or even insulting it? Notice I used the word "seems" rather than looks. Try using your brain to understand a post correctly before calling someone a knob. Don't think you know anything about me or my views. My first computer was the Commodore 64 and I still play emulated C64 games today.

To elaborate on my post as you clearly need further explanation to understand it: the game is reminiscent of games that were full priced a decade ago. not just the graphics but the gameplay. It reminds my of games like Theme Park, Mob Wars, etc. some of which I bought as new releases. Things have moved on for the PC so releasing a game that is more like an older title cannot command the same price as it could when it would have been the same technically-wise as its peers. Tablets and phones mean the old restrictive gameplay is necessary because of what they can handle and they are sold at a price that reflects that. Bringing the game to PC however cannot mean they can charge the same price that non-port games can command.

Do you understand now?
Post edited May 14, 2014 by amcdermo
ETOX: What you're doing here is judging a game by the graphics. Yes, it's 2D, but I assure you the code is probably quite up to date. Did you know that 2D graphics allow for more stylized and detailed images? Did you know that you're a knob? In addition to that, did you ever consider that there are plenty of people who still pine for the days when men were men and ...I'm getting off track here. Long story short, meh.
amcdermo: And where did I mention I was judging the game solely by its graphics or even insulting it? Notice I used the word "seems" rather than looks. Try using your brain to understand a post correctly before calling someone a knob. Don't think you know anything about me or my views. My first computer was the Commodore 64 and I still play emulated C64 games today.

To elaborate on my post as you clearly need further explanation to understand it: the game is reminiscent of games that were full priced a decade ago. not just the graphics but the gameplay. It reminds my of games like Theme Park, Mob Wars, etc. some of which I bought as new releases. Things have moved on for the PC so releasing a game that is more like an older title cannot command the same price as it could when it would have been the same technically-wise as its peers. Tablets and phones mean the old restrictive gameplay is necessary because of what they can handle and they are sold at a price that reflects that. Bringing the game to PC however cannot mean they can charge the same price that non-port games can command.

Do you understand now?
I don't like the way you smell.