It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sarang: A lot of good points and I have my own problems with Epic.

I was going to and was excited to buy "Control", thinking it was DRM-Free but then hearing I had to use the Epic or Galaxy installer to open it so I can run it in the 1st place I find unaccptable.
Wait. Does Control need Galaxy (or the Epic launcher) to star the single-player game? Or just for multiplayer? Where did you hear that you need one of the clients to open it? That would be full DRM, if that is true! So please verify and let me know for my list of games with DRM on GOG.
Magnitus: I gave up on that. I give Netflix my monthly contribution and access their huge repertoire.
Well that's at least transparent, like the 35€ library fee I pay per year. No false feeling I actually own anything there - only the right to use the stuff available as long as I keep paying my fee.

Amazon on the other tries to "sell" you movies and shows which you afaik can't even keep if you cancel your Prime subscription. That's just...
Lifthrasil: Wait. Does Control need Galaxy (or the Epic launcher) to star the single-player game? Or just for multiplayer? Where did you hear that you need one of the clients to open it? That would be full DRM, if that is true! So please verify and let me know for my list of games with DRM on GOG.
According to the game's forum Control doesn't need a client to launch SP, be it from Epic or GOG.
Post edited March 31, 2021 by toxicTom
Magnitus: I gave up on that. I give Netflix my monthly contribution and access their huge repertoire.
toxicTom: Well that's at least transparent, like the 35€ library fee I pay per year. No false feeling I actually own anything there - only the right to use the stuff available as long as I keep paying my fee.

Amazon on the other tries to "sell" you movies and shows which you afaik can't even keep if you cancel your Prime subscription. That's just...
Lifthrasil: Wait. Does Control need Galaxy (or the Epic launcher) to star the single-player game? Or just for multiplayer? Where did you hear that you need one of the clients to open it? That would be full DRM, if that is true! So please verify and let me know for my list of games with DRM on GOG.
toxicTom: According to the game's forum Control doesn't need a client to launch SP, be it from Epic or GOG.
I didn't find any mention of DRM for SP either. I wonder what Sarang meant.
I could almost do that.
My wife and kids do and many others I know.

I just have trouble giving up that last vestige of control ... any place, any time, any where.

I am the sort of person, if a music track or a movie etc has a glitch, it just about ruins my day.

I don't like continuity being ruined or distracting interruptions.
I like to get lost in the experience, especially first time around ... not so much on a repeat.
In short, I don't like relying on others for my contentment and pleasure ... inevitably they let you down at some point.
Of course, if you don't risk, you rarely gain ... but I like to choose the place, time and event where I risk.

Maybe I'm a control freak?
No doubt that is a big factor of why I program for a hobby.

P.S. Of course, one day we leave it all behind ... can't take it with you ... or so it seems. Maybe even before that, if there is a nasty hole in your bag and you lose your marbles.
high rated
Magnitus: I give Netflix my monthly contribution and access their huge repertoire.

[...]

With covid, movie theaters may never recover and streaming services (which pays them a fraction of what movie theaters or the ownership model pays per unit of content produced) will probably be their most viable source of revenue in not too long. I have no pity for them. They deserve what they are getting. Fight for my pennies fools.
They will gladly "fight for your pennies". The more people like you who go into streaming services, the more they stand to gain. Already we have seen with Netflix alone that there are shows that outright do not get physical releases whatsoever when it would have come standard in the past. That's a result of a critical mass of people being okay with streaming. Once everything is stream-only, don't expect prices to go down. Already people complain they have to have half a dozen subscriptions to see all the content they want, and that they are paying more for this than they did for the cable TV they were so eager to abandon. Moreover, look at digital games. Years ago we were told that going digital would lower the price for everyone. It hasn't, ownership has become near-extinct, and even with the rental content customers are getting less value than ever.
Sarang: [snip]
+1, you get it.
Post edited March 31, 2021 by rjbuffchix
toxicTom: Well that's at least transparent, like the 35€ library fee I pay per year. No false feeling I actually own anything there - only the right to use the stuff available as long as I keep paying my fee.
Exactly.

toxicTom: Amazon on the other tries to "sell" you movies and shows which you afaik can't even keep if you cancel your Prime subscription. That's just...
In my humble opinion, that should be illegal. That they can get away with that speaks volumes about how unregulated businesses are on the internet.

Timboli: I could almost do that.
My wife and kids do and many others I know.

I just have trouble giving up that last vestige of control ... any place, any time, any where.
For the stuff I really like, I'd like to be able to do that.

Unfortunately, with the TV/Movie industry, the only option you got for that is to buy a medium that will break down within the next 30 years and then navigate the murky waters (either with friendly, but shady tools or with open-source tools that have a very DIY feel to them and then you got to deal with the latest copy-protection) of ripping it to have a longer lived software copy.

Not only that, these <insert unkind noun here> will try to legally finickle to delay copyright expiry on and on and the lackeys in the court system will oblige them. It used to be constrained to something close to the lifespan of the author. Not anymore... Expect Disney to milk Bambi for all its worth and then some.

Given that state of affairs, I'm glad there is a more "honest about it" option like Netflix around.

Timboli: Maybe I'm a control freak?
No doubt that is a big factor of why I program for a hobby.

P.S. Of course, one day we leave it all behind ... can't take it with you ... or so it seems. Maybe even before that, if there is a nasty hole in your bag and you lose your marbles.
I think it makes sense to pay once for something in your lifetime if its the way it is presented to you.

For preservation also, it makes a lot of sense.

And when you really like something, you want to ensure continued access to it. There is nothing unreasonable with that.

rjbuffchix: They will gladly "fight for your pennies". The more people like you who go into streaming services, the more they stand to gain. Already we have seen with Netflix alone that there are shows that outright do not get physical releases whatsoever when it would have come standard in the past. That's a result of a critical mass of people being okay with streaming. Once everything is stream-only, don't expect prices to go down. Already people complain they have to have half a dozen subscriptions to see all the content they want, and that they are paying more for this than they did for the cable TV they were so eager to abandon. Moreover, look at digital games. Years ago we were told that going digital would lower the price for everyone. It hasn't, ownership has become near-extinct, and even with the rental content customers are getting less value than ever.
Maybe I'm part of the outliers, but its not the same amount. Back in the days when I got DVDs/Blurays, I'd probably pay anywhere between 1000$ and 2000$ a year on movies and tv shows (basically, anything I wanted to watch, I'd buy).

Nowaways, with Netflix, its more like 120$ a year.

Sure, the streaming market is getting more segmented, but there are ways around that:
- Instead of researching movies/tv shows and expecting them to be available on your streaming service, narrow your focus to what is released on your streaming service, sometimes, ignorance is bliss
- If you really got to watch something on other streaming services, make a short list of what you want to watch (don't be shy, blitz through it and cram it in there), subscribe for a month or two, binge watch it and then unsubscribe. Boom boom ciao. No sympathy. Disney can <I'll leave the rest to your imagination>
Post edited March 31, 2021 by Magnitus
rjbuffchix: They will gladly "fight for your pennies". The more people like you who go into streaming services, the more they stand to gain. Already we have seen with Netflix alone that there are shows that outright do not get physical releases whatsoever when it would have come standard in the past. That's a result of a critical mass of people being okay with streaming. Once everything is stream-only, don't expect prices to go down. Already people complain they have to have half a dozen subscriptions to see all the content they want, and that they are paying more for this than they did for the cable TV they were so eager to abandon. Moreover, look at digital games. Years ago we were told that going digital would lower the price for everyone. It hasn't, ownership has become near-extinct, and even with the rental content customers are getting less value than ever.
Those savings never, never get passed on to the consumers. It is always a lie. The corporations want to horde all those savings for themselves and have no intention to pass even 1% of that on to consumers.

It's like those corporate propaganda advertisements from back in the 70s, claiming that the rise in workplace automation was going to improve the quality of life of employees and lead to everyone doing a 20-hour work week, because the robots will be doing all the work for us. Yeah ... right ....

That's not how greed works. They already have everything, yet they still want more.
Post edited March 31, 2021 by Time4Tea
low rated
Gog will always be a non-drm platform because that is its differential element.

You can have Non-DRM games and an optional client that you have many other options (profiles, achievements ...).

The latter is what most users want, to be able to choose what they like the most. But there are a few users who want to impose their ideas on the rest and as you can read on different social networks they have failed.

I don't like galaxy, I don't use it, but it seems perfect for anyone who wants achievements, profiles or other options to use it.
StrongSoldier: Gog will always be a non-drm platform because that is its differential element.
Now you're just ignoring reality. GOG already gave up on being DRM-free. So your statement that they will always remain so is automatically false. Sure, there will probably always be some DRM-free games here. As there are on Steam and EGS. But they did not remain a non-drm platform nor do they intend to. By official statement from GOG themselves, they are OK with DRM, as long as it doesn't affect the single-player game in a major way.

Re-phrased that means that minor or moderate DRM is OK - and the definition what is major and what is still moderate is, of course, up to GOG.

Times have changed. You just don't want to see it. But you ignoring the change will not undo it.
Time4Tea: Those savings never, never get passed on to the consumers. It is always a lie. The corporations want to horde all those savings for themselves and have no intention to pass even 1% of that on to consumers.

It's like those corporate propaganda advertisements from back in the 70s, claiming that the rise in workplace automation was going to improve the quality of life of employees and lead to everyone doing a 20-hour work week, because the robots will be doing all the work for us. Yeah ... right ....

That's not how greed works. They already have everything, yet they still want more.
The savings go in my pocket. I'm the one who is paying less.

Otherwise, all those companies relying on ip laws are to a certain extent at the mercy of their customer base.

You can't punish people for pirating if you're not in a military state, because the user-base is just too large and you can't enforce security on a client running on people's machines (if its on someone's general purpose computer, they'll eventually reverse-engineer whatever "protection" you put in there).

If people want to pirate your stuff, they will (music, movies, games, you name it) so in the end, you're pretty much stuck with customer goodwill and you can only push so far.

I'm surprised that people tolerated being pushed this far already, but if it becomes too much like some people are suggesting, people will stop paying and the industry will shrink or collapse.

It has happened the music industry. The movie industry is vulnerable to it right now (I think their golden years in terms of revenue are behind them) and it might even happen in the game industry.

Its a delicate balance of give and take. I think that providers like Gog and Netflix strike that balance well (at opposite ends of the spectrum... Gog for ownership, Netflix for rental). I think that "services" like Steam give the illusion of striking that balance, but at some point, either they'll collapse and people will become disillusioned or the law will finally (it moves a lot slower than technology) catch up to them (quite possibly both). Remember that all of this is relatively new.
Post edited March 31, 2021 by Magnitus
Magnitus: I give Netflix my monthly contribution and access their huge repertoire.

[...]

With covid, movie theaters may never recover and streaming services (which pays them a fraction of what movie theaters or the ownership model pays per unit of content produced) will probably be their most viable source of revenue in not too long. I have no pity for them. They deserve what they are getting. Fight for my pennies fools.
Sarang: [snip]
rjbuffchix: +1, you get it.
As far as I'm concerned the only community that semi has their head out of their asses is the music one and its mixed at that.
I love K and JPop but a number of this music is missing for Hi-Fi FLAC but Bandcamp and HDTracks are nice options...if only SMTown, JYP, YG and Avex Trax got on board most of the rest would follow to HDTracks or a like.
The benefit of SOME of the Netflix originals, Japan and Korea, is they tend to have physical copies of said titles. The Netflix cash also made them make their series record in 5.1 as all Korean and Japanese shows tend to record in stereo otherwise.
p.s. A note, Chung Ha's new album IS on HDTracks. A number of her tracks are great. "Snapping", "Gotta Go"
Post edited March 31, 2021 by Sarang
low rated
StrongSoldier: Gog will always be a non-drm platform because that is its differential element.
Lifthrasil: Now you're just ignoring reality. GOG already gave up on being DRM-free. So your statement that they will always remain so is automatically false. Sure, there will probably always be some DRM-free games here. As there are on Steam and EGS. But they did not remain a non-drm platform nor do they intend to. By official statement from GOG themselves, they are OK with DRM, as long as it doesn't affect the single-player game in a major way.

Re-phrased that means that minor or moderate DRM is OK - and the definition what is major and what is still moderate is, of course, up to GOG.

Times have changed. You just don't want to see it. But you ignoring the change will not undo it.
Sure, that's why they add mad max without drm. That's why all the games added during this month do not have drm ... Except for gwewnt, the rest of gog games can be played offline without the need for gog galaxy.

Then you complain that in social networks all users ask that the small group of users who always give problems buy on zoom platform.
Post edited April 01, 2021 by StrongSoldier
russellskanne: 4. The first single player game with online requirement for major parts of the game arrives
https://www.gog.com/game/hitman_game_of_the_year_edition
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_11093/post33
Up-do-date again! I wonder what 5. will be? Any suggestions?
russellskanne: Up-do-date again! I wonder what 5. will be? Any suggestions?
,,Innovate,, killing the offline installers... that would mandatory enforce galaxy
high rated
russellskanne: Up-do-date again! I wonder what 5. will be? Any suggestions?
tag+: ,,Innovate,, killing the offline installers... that would mandatory enforce galaxy
No, small steps. Killing the offline installers will be step 6 at the earliest. Step 5 will be to release a single-player game that has online DRM for all parts. You'll still be able to install it from offline installers (and GOG will claim that that makes it DRM-free), but to actually play it you'll need to register it online.

Then, after there is one game that requires Galaxy and the protest dies down, more games requiring Galaxy and other forms of online-DRM will be released. Until eventually the offline installers will be discontinued. Just like the Downloader was.