It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Bramble: The Mountain King (XSX Game Pass)

This game deserves to be in contention for GOTY and it's one of the best releases I've played this year. It is a Nordic horror fairytale. It covers some very disturbing themes and has some really brutal scenes. Awesome music, stunning visuals, dark atmosphere that puts most horror games to shame. Apparently, it plays a bit like Little Nightmares- which I haven't played.

I especially liked the boss battles, which is odd because they are all puzzle gimmick style bosses- which I usually don't like. These boss fights are done so well that I like them anyway- they are short and clever, and the solutions are obvious enough if you just pay attention to your surroundings- plus they all have checkpoints between boss phases.

Only a short experience (less than 7 hours if you're slow like me) but one of the best this year. It has overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam and almost perfect rating on Xbox. It deserves it.
Finished Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story and I liked it. Gameplay is similar to the previous one. It was very short but the story was well written and the puzzles/codes were well done. I recommend it.

Full list here.
Little Nightmares (XSX)

I liked Bramble: The Mountain King so much, and half of its reviews say how it has similar gameplay to Little Nightmares. So, I had to play it too. It helped that I actually had the game on Xbox already, since it was a GwG a few years back. I haven't checked, but I have the feeling that it may have been a free Epic game at some point as well.

Whilst the gameplay is indeed similar to Bramble, Little Nightmares is not as good- it requires far more trial and error to work out how to progress and this causes the gameplay to become tiresome sometimes. It still has excellent dark atmosphere and creepy music, and the game doesn't hang around too long to wear out its welcome- funnily enough many people complain about it being too short, but for me, much longer and it would have become too tedious.
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold. Blake Stone is basically James Bond in space, which I guess basically makes him Dominic Flandry. He has to stop Dr. Goldfire who's creating an army of mutants to take over everything. So you're blasting through his facilities and shooting almost everything, but there are some good scientists who will give you stuff if you hold your fire. It's a game that often gets treated as a piece of trivia in that it had the misfortune of being a Wolfenstein 3D engine game released a week before Doom, but it's really pretty good, especially if you play the source port. It's basically just like Wolf3D except they added interactive elements and a certain amount of nonlinear progression. It's not the seismic shift of Doom but it's a solid step up compared to Wolfenstein 3D, at least.

It seems to me that with this retro FPS movement going on, Blake Stone would be a good candidate for a revival. Do it like Ion Fury, with a Build engine sequel and Blake would get a lot of goofy one-liners and get a bit of overdue shine.
The Last Case of Benedict Fox, Jul 7 (Xbox Game Pass)-I was curious about this game and it had some good parts but it also had a lot of bad parts. I really liked the exploration and puzzles. That's about it. Everything else was bad. Combat was awful, platforming was average at best, dark sections were tedious, story was incomprehensible, ending was convoluted, voice acting was terrible, and in the last third of the game it was incredibly buggy freezing and crashing every 5-10 minutes. If someone can fix the bugs and remove combat so you can just play it as an exploration and puzzle game it would be pretty good with a weird story. But you absolutely have to remove combat. I set the combat to easy mode with invincibility and one hit kills and it was still obnoxious with enemies stunning me off platforms, having impenetrable shields, and still somehow taking multiple hits to kill. I can't imagine how anyone played this with normal settings the combat is that bad.

Full List
The Wild Eight (steam)

"The Wild Eight is an intense survival action-adventure set in the frozen wilderness of Alaska. Team up with friends in online co-op or go solo, explore the mysterious land, craft weapons and fight to live another day."

I still don't know if i should recommend this at this point or not lol.. This is really one of the best survival till they abandoned it. Still good to play with mutli or solo( I went solo took sometime) but what made me feel like shit is the ending. Don't know whats the point of those meaningless endings(totally 4 and only 3rd is somewhat reasonable but the rest ends in your death? smh). If you are fine with putting 30hrs for some fun then go ahead and its really worth it. The gameplay is good, you collect and craft nothing to build just pure survival in alaskas coldness and if you want to do 100% story then u gotta explore the whole map.
Finished Daikatana with the 1.3 patch, makes the game a lot better
My third completed game for 2023 was King's Bounty The Legend, and it was great fun! I've never played a game with this style of troop building and combat before, but I highly enjoyed the strategy of it. I played as a mage on easy my first go, and it was so enjoyable I can definitely foresee playing through again at a higher difficulty and trying one of the other characters. The RPG portion of the game was much simpler than my usual CRPG tastes, but it was still a fun story that kept my interest along with the turn based troop combat. Overall a very fun game I will re-visit, as well as continuing through the rest of the series!

2023 List to Date:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
King's Bounty: The Legend
Finished CyClones, it was my first time playing through that game. It has quite a few interesting ideas for it's time, like using the cursor interface to interact with the environment as well as shoot, similar to Realms of the Haunting. There's a map system, and it's a good idea to make use of it because some levels block your progress unless you find hidden doors. There's a few timed sequences and one 'stealth' level which is brief and only translates to 'don't kill too many enemies'. You can save anytime, anywhere, mercifully. I didn't realize this game had FMV cutscenes, and my first impression was that the sets are cheap and the acting amateurish (you can tell the actors are biting the inside of their cheeks to keep from laughing). So I was amazed to discover that Raven actually blew most of their budget on the FMV scenes and the rest of the game suffered for it. But also, according to a HotUD review, there exists a 30 minute video tape of additional footage, but the 8 minutes used in the game was supposedly light-years better than the unused footage, so this tape will remain one of Raven's most closely guarded secrets. All in all, it was an interesting experience, so I'm not sorry I played it, but I doubt I'll ever revisit this game.
Just beat Weird West on PS5. "Mixed feelings" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about the game.

Apparently the game was supposed to become like the ultimate immersive sim, albeit at a low budget, in a top-down perspective and in a weird west setting. Could have worked but sadly it does not.

My first impressions of the game were actually pretty great. To me it's the kind of game that just instantly feels nice. It looks pretty great and has beautifully surreal sound design that really puts the "weird" in "weird west". Also story-wise it starts out strong: you assume the role of Jane Bell, an ex-bounty hunter whose idyllic farm life gets destroyed when bandits kill her son and abduct her husband. Off the bat the game sends you down a path of revenge against bandits led by a supernatural creature and nicely establishes what kind of depressing world you have just entered.

There's a world map with many locations and random encounters that you navigate like in many RPGs, there are quests, there's real-time combat and a lot of stealth gameplay. You can hire companions, you can take on bounties, look for treasure, trade and so on. And since it's an "immersive sim" you can kill enemies by creatively using the environment, you can reach locations in different ways and you can also take on quests in different manners. On the loading screen the game actually sometimes brags that you can kill literally anyone and still complete the game. For the first couple of hours this kinda felt like a new 2D Fallout game to me, albeit with action gameplay, and I enjoyed that a lot.

As the hours passed, though, Weird West started reminding me of a completely different game altogether: No Man's Sky. Not because of similarities in the gameplay but due to how this hugely ambitious game turns out to be an empty façade. Nothing about Weird West is great and sadly it's also not a game that is much more than a sum of its parts.

It is mostly a stealth game and not a good one to be honest. The enemy setups are very random and for the most part you will probably just find yourself waiting until an enemy wanders away from his mates on his own where you can just knock him out. It's not challenging and you don't have to resort to any of that "immersive sim" stuff at all. I've barely used the environment or fancy character abilities because it was far more convenient to just strangle almost everyone - also, this way there was a lower risk that I'd start open combat which does have its fun moments but is mostly just a frantic mess, especially if AI companions get involved (and you do want those idiots with you, if only so they draw some fire and for extra inventory space). There are admittedly enemies in this game whom you can't strangle and indeed, those were the cases where I used a few more of the tools at my disposal but also then it didn't amount to great gameplay.

And besides that it's an underwhelming RPG. This is where I really felt parallels to NMS. In the end the systemic nature of the game just means that everything is of lower quality than in a game with traditionally handmade content and it ironically also feels like there's very little content. There's really just a handful of locations that get reused millions of times. Towns, mines and temples follow just a few repeating patterns and they barely offer any quests. And sure, you can kill everyone in a town and then it becomes a ghost town and maybe bad guys move in but: 1. Why would you do that? 2. So what? It's not really interesting. And remember that "you can kill everyone" thing? The game is actually really awful at handling these unexpected solutions. Heck, even expected alternate solutions can make the game feel broken by making the quest log display a deprecated objective and then just fast forward through the chapter's quest line for incomprehensible reasons.

Finally, I also did not like the game's structure. It is actually separated into 5 chapters and you play a different character in each one. In my opinion this was not handled well at all. Basically everything persists throughout these chapters and you can also regain access to all your old loot by hiring a former hero. In practice this meant that I spent 12 hours playing as Jane Bell and then rushed through the remaining scenarios because I had basically already seen everything in the first chapter. And neither the overarching story of the game nor the individual stories of the other heroes are even remotely as captivating as the first hours of the game. Sigh.

In the end I just didn't enjoy the game much. It starts out really strong but soon becomes very disappointing and incredibly repetitive and boring.
F4LL0UT: Just beat Weird West on PS5. "Mixed feelings" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about the game.

Apparently the game was supposed to become like the ultimate immersive sim, albeit at a low budget, in a top-down perspective and in a weird west setting. Could have worked but sadly it does not.

My first impressions of the game were actually pretty great. To me it's the kind of game that just instantly feels nice. It looks pretty great and has beautifully surreal sound design that really puts the "weird" in "weird west". Also story-wise it starts out strong: you assume the role of Jane Bell, an ex-bounty hunter whose idyllic farm life gets destroyed when bandits kill her son and abduct her husband. Off the bat the game sends you down a path of revenge against bandits led by a supernatural creature and nicely establishes what kind of depressing world you have just entered.

There's a world map with many locations and random encounters that you navigate like in many RPGs, there are quests, there's real-time combat and a lot of stealth gameplay. You can hire companions, you can take on bounties, look for treasure, trade and so on. And since it's an "immersive sim" you can kill enemies by creatively using the environment, you can reach locations in different ways and you can also take on quests in different manners. On the loading screen the game actually sometimes brags that you can kill literally anyone and still complete the game. For the first couple of hours this kinda felt like a new 2D Fallout game to me, albeit with action gameplay, and I enjoyed that a lot.

As the hours passed, though, Weird West started reminding me of a completely different game altogether: No Man's Sky. Not because of similarities in the gameplay but due to how this hugely ambitious game turns out to be an empty façade. Nothing about Weird West is great and sadly it's also not a game that is much more than a sum of its parts.

It is mostly a stealth game and not a good one to be honest. The enemy setups are very random and for the most part you will probably just find yourself waiting until an enemy wanders away from his mates on his own where you can just knock him out. It's not challenging and you don't have to resort to any of that "immersive sim" stuff at all. I've barely used the environment or fancy character abilities because it was far more convenient to just strangle almost everyone - also, this way there was a lower risk that I'd start open combat which does have its fun moments but is mostly just a frantic mess, especially if AI companions get involved (and you do want those idiots with you, if only so they draw some fire and for extra inventory space). There are admittedly enemies in this game whom you can't strangle and indeed, those were the cases where I used a few more of the tools at my disposal but also then it didn't amount to great gameplay.

And besides that it's an underwhelming RPG. This is where I really felt parallels to NMS. In the end the systemic nature of the game just means that everything is of lower quality than in a game with traditionally handmade content and it ironically also feels like there's very little content. There's really just a handful of locations that get reused millions of times. Towns, mines and temples follow just a few repeating patterns and they barely offer any quests. And sure, you can kill everyone in a town and then it becomes a ghost town and maybe bad guys move in but: 1. Why would you do that? 2. So what? It's not really interesting. And remember that "you can kill everyone" thing? The game is actually really awful at handling these unexpected solutions. Heck, even expected alternate solutions can make the game feel broken by making the quest log display a deprecated objective and then just fast forward through the chapter's quest line for incomprehensible reasons.

Finally, I also did not like the game's structure. It is actually separated into 5 chapters and you play a different character in each one. In my opinion this was not handled well at all. Basically everything persists throughout these chapters and you can also regain access to all your old loot by hiring a former hero. In practice this meant that I spent 12 hours playing as Jane Bell and then rushed through the remaining scenarios because I had basically already seen everything in the first chapter. And neither the overarching story of the game nor the individual stories of the other heroes are even remotely as captivating as the first hours of the game. Sigh.

In the end I just didn't enjoy the game much. It starts out really strong but soon becomes very disappointing and incredibly repetitive and boring.
I think I agree with pretty much everything here. I found it fun despite it's flaws but it wasn't much of an RPG and a lot of the mechanics and gameplay felt tedious encouraging me to rush thru the game to avoid them.
Eternal Journey: New Atlantis - hidden object
The plot of the game is really convoluted, but at least it doesn't have any weird pseudo-horror and/or stalker plots. Instead it is science fiction involving Mars, cloned humans, and hostile bug aliens.

The game has one cat:
https://imgur.com/8O7XDyc.jpg
Finished the main quest in Underrail, now doing the expansion
Clocking in at just over 11 hours to complete my second ever play through of the cornerstone of the CRPG universe, Ultima I. Been many years since my first, and even at 11 hours it felt a little grindy flying around killing things for money. But still, always happy to revisit the classics of the genre I was fortunate enough to grow up playing.

My list to date in 2023:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
King's Bounty: The Legend
Ultima I
Finished Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion. It was short (2-3h) but fun and the story has a lot of humor. I recommend it.

Full list here.