It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Breja: I hate anime.
That's like saying "I don't like videogames". It's a medium, with wildly different genres and approaches. Have you actually tried watching any good one? Or have you just watched one episode of Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon and concluded you hated it?
Breja: ... I hate anime.
tinyE: Really? COOL!

Someone told me I was the only one on the planet that hated it. :D
I can't stand it. It's like a sci-fi story, where the characters discover something so alien, that just looking at it makes people bleed out of their eyes.

DaCostaBR: That's like saying "I don't like videogames". It's a medium, with wildly different genres and approaches. Have you actually tried watching any good one? Or have you just watched one episode of Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon and concluded you hated it?
I can't watch and don't want to watch it for the reason given above. There are no "good ones" for me. It's a medium that I don't get. Not everyone likes video games. Many of my friends don't like comics, no matter how "good" they are. They may well enjoy the exact same story in movie form, but the comics does nothing for them.

To me anime looks and moves wrong, sounds wrong... the closest I can come up with to explain how I perceive it is how the way the dwarf from Twin Peaks spoke :D It's just all wrong and weird and backwards.
Post edited November 07, 2016 by Breja
Breja: I can't watch and don't want to watch it for the reason given above. There are no "good ones" for me. It's a medium that I don't get. Not everyone likes video games. Many of my friends don't like comics, no matter how "good" they are. They may well enjoy the exact same story in movie form, but the comics does nothing for them.
That's a very different attitude from the one I have, but I guess there's no point arguing this kind of stuff.
Post edited November 07, 2016 by DaCostaBR
Just wanted to chip in to say Shane Black's The Nice Guys was an excellent movie that got unfairly drowned by all those superhero movies. It's not as good as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, or rather a good bit different. KKBB was more hilarious and had the better actors in my opinion, but TNG has a bit more emotional depth. Not sure what balance I like better.
Post edited November 07, 2016 by Vainamoinen
Vainamoinen: .
I would like to visit your country and sample your Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte.

I love Germans and I love gateaux.

I also love Nirth, he's my friend and he's Swedish.
DaCostaBR: In the end I looked at it less like a wizard movie and more like a shonen anime.
It felt to me more like really high-budget wire-fu. I mean, I liked it, it was a visual spectacle and there's not really a lot more to fairly expect from a tentpole Hollywood movie. But to me it was very kung-fu-mystical. Which, you know, suits the character.

Breja: I'm not kidding when I say that if you want to see wizards fighting, you'd be bettter of with The Raven from 1963.
Bavmorda and Fin Raziel from Willow, imo.
OneFiercePuppy: Bavmorda and Fin Raziel from Willow, imo.
I really need to rewatch that, because I remember next to nothing from that movie. I've only seen it once, as a kid. I guess the fact I didn't find it memorable says something, but I should give it another chance regardless.
Breja: .
Could you please unblock me?

Thanks in advance, soon-to-be friend.
Breja: I really need to rewatch that, because I remember next to nothing from that movie. I've only seen it once, as a kid. I guess the fact I didn't find it memorable says something, but I should give it another chance regardless.
Well, do you like the slightly cheesy fantasy movie from the 80s type of film? If you didn't like, say, Dark Crystal or Labyrinth, then maybe those just aren't the films for you. No harm in that, either. But me, I love Dark Crystal and Labyrinth and Willow. Flight of the Navigator and Short Circuit. I guess I was the right age to have a soft spot for that sort of delightfully (and delightedly) goofy film. Or else I just have terrible taste. I'm fine with that, too.
Breja: I really need to rewatch that, because I remember next to nothing from that movie. I've only seen it once, as a kid. I guess the fact I didn't find it memorable says something, but I should give it another chance regardless.
OneFiercePuppy: Well, do you like the slightly cheesy fantasy movie from the 80s type of film? If you didn't like, say, Dark Crystal or Labyrinth, then maybe those just aren't the films for you. No harm in that, either. But me, I love Dark Crystal and Labyrinth and Willow. Flight of the Navigator and Short Circuit. I guess I was the right age to have a soft spot for that sort of delightfully (and delightedly) goofy film. Or else I just have terrible taste. I'm fine with that, too.
I love pretty much everything 80s, and fantasy and sci-fi movies in particular. Hell, I'm one of the few people you'll ever find who'll argue that Michael Mann's The Keep is a masterpiece. And Labyrinth is in fact one of my favourite movies of all time. I worship the ground Jim Hanson walked on, and this also has David Bowie!

Oh yes, I could Dance Magic Dance in my sleep.

And I don't think those are goofy films at all. At least not most of them. I mean, there were also some really goofy ones, and I love those too (Monster Squad anyone?). It's just Willow that didn't really stick with me. I remember thinking something like "huh. Well that was ok" and not moving on.
Post edited November 07, 2016 by Breja
OneFiercePuppy: It felt to me more like really high-budget wire-fu. I mean, I liked it, it was a visual spectacle and there's not really a lot more to fairly expect from a tentpole Hollywood movie. But to me it was very kung-fu-mystical. Which, you know, suits the character.
You're right, there's definitely a "six degrees of separation" thing between them.

The old wire-fu I know sticks more to hand-to-hand, and doesn't have the magical elements that Doctor Strange has, but anime was definitely inspired by chinese martial arts movies. Now you have chinese movies just straight up doing anime shenanigans in live action, to dubious results.

I guess it's all a hodgepodge of things influencing each other, and Doctor Strange is somewhere in the middle.
Vainamoinen: Just wanted to chip in to say Shane Black's The Nice Guys was an excellent movie that got unfairly drowned by all those superhero movies. It's not as good as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, or rather a good bit different. KKBB was more hilarious and had the better actors in my opinion, but TNG has a bit more emotional depth. Not sure what balance I like better.
Thanks for adding this one to the thread, I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.

----------------------------------

There was a new trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them before Hacksaw Ridge, looks great.
Post edited November 07, 2016 by bad_fur_day1
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=2016,2016&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc

The ones I've seen:
X-Men Apocalypse - 6/10
Deadpool - 8/10
Zootopia - 8/10
Warcraft: The Beginning - 6/10
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 7/10
The Jungle Book - 5/10

The Revenant was from 2016 btw (and didn't impress me at all).

Fortunately my local rental is really cheap, unfortunately it doesn't have the really interesting nieche movies so I usually get those years via buying.
Post edited November 12, 2016 by Klumpen0815
bad_fur_day1: Fantastic Beasts
I don't know why, but I originally read that as fantastic breasts.

BTW, I love your new Bachelor: Season Final avatar, cool beans.
Arrival

Starring Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner, director of the very good Sicario, Prisoners and the un released new Blade Runner.

I wouldn't go so far as to give it all the outstanding reviews around, but it was very interesting. Hard to sum up movie, science fiction, drama, alien invasion story, well made. The story didn't quite connect with me as much as the gravitas of the film would have liked, but your millage may vary.
Post edited November 12, 2016 by bad_fur_day1