It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The title says it all, at some point during the Captial missions the game just kicks me out with no warrining or later oops message. I do remember this being a problem on the phisical release but never this constantly and to this level.

Any help would be greatfull. (I tried compatibilty mode and it didn't work)
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Monkey_Quest4: The title says it all, at some point during the Captial missions the game just kicks me out with no warrining or later oops message. I do remember this being a problem on the phisical release but never this constantly and to this level.

+1.

Dark Crusade crashes to desktop every minute or so now.
Tau campaign, vs Chaos Capital.

Tau Campaign also CTDs when clicking the "Commander" button on the campaign overview.

I played this game for hundreds of hours as a young teen. And getting to play it again now is massive dose of nostalgia. It really is a shame that this issue is souring the whole experience.
Post edited June 06, 2023 by MarisMarch
Hi, same problem here. After finishing 1st stronghold mission game crashes when trying to go to commander menu.
Core dump that is generated tells that exception is related to memory management: thread trying to access virtual memory for which it is not allowed to. Seems like RAM management problems. On some old forums I saw similar problems described, but in Soulstrom expansion, and there was some mod mentioned that adds RAM 'extension' (probably adjust old game to modern computer configurations)
Post edited June 10, 2023 by ufo-ufo
I’m having the same problem in Dark crusade game crashes after clicking the commander tab after defeating first stronghold does anyone know of a fix I tried compatibility mode and that doesn’t work
Monkey_Quest4: The title says it all, at some point during the Captial missions the game just kicks me out with no warrining or later oops message. I do remember this being a problem on the phisical release but never this constantly and to this level.

MarisMarch: +1.

Dark Crusade crashes to desktop every minute or so now.
Tau campaign, vs Chaos Capital.

Tau Campaign also CTDs when clicking the "Commander" button on the campaign overview.

I played this game for hundreds of hours as a young teen. And getting to play it again now is massive dose of nostalgia. It really is a shame that this issue is souring the whole experience.
I'm getting this exact problem as well right after beating that Tau mission while playing as Space Marines, pressing "Commander" button crashes the game.
Post edited June 15, 2023 by SpellSword
ufo-ufo: On some old forums I saw similar problems described, but in Soulstrom expansion, and there was some mod mentioned that adds RAM 'extension' (probably adjust old game to modern computer configurations)
You're most propably refering to the LAA patcher, But that linked one is pretty old and afaik current mods encourage the use of fragjackers Mod Manager to patch the LAA flag unto the games exe file.
ufo-ufo: On some old forums I saw similar problems described, but in Soulstrom expansion, and there was some mod mentioned that adds RAM 'extension' (probably adjust old game to modern computer configurations)
Sha_n_Dra: You're most propably refering to the LAA patcher, But that linked one is pretty old and afaik current mods encourage the use of fragjackers Mod Manager to patch the LAA flag unto the games exe file.
LAA fix is general LAA fix. For all games. It is not "outdated". Modbmanager are NOT game fixer. Two differ things. LAA fixer bundled. There is sense suggest Mod Manager + LAA included as MM+LAA. You suggest it opposite to LAA fix. They are not related. If ppl above prefer clear offline only game - MM not an answer for them.

There is many ppl report issues during Capital missions (scripts error messages on screen or CTD crash) for any versions - Retail patch, Steam or GOG. But Commander button... I didnt saw such reports for older version. Maybe that one new for GOG version? Also possible issue only for offline DRMfree version only. Maybe contact Support?
Same for LAA... Windows 8+ itself is half-issue. Maybe another one is low amount of RAM (not enough for Win10 to effictevely dedicate it to the game app?)?

LAA issue is general mobile backported Windows (Win8+) RAM managing issue. Affect all old games same with other differences (legacy directx on new DX). Not in all games issues are noticable.
If nothing help - it indeed one thing to try LAA fixer. Or install additional RAM to PC. Or DISABLE Swap file. Swap gile always work bugged. Although few games require it enabled (games issues this time).

Or try set it only on C drive and NOT automatic. 4096 mb (not matter how much real RAM) maybe. There is much older games require 256/512 (or 3rd party fixes).

If Swap file on or off or automatic not solve issue - google it LAA fixer. It is just exe patcher. Look to PCGW first. This patcer not related to Dawn of War specific game. So lurk forjust fixer. Looking for game specific LAA fixer lead to 3rd party websites appear in searfh result or such Mod Managers. Outdated links.
If somehiw DoW or GOG release require game specific exe patcher - add dawn of war to search argument. In that case it is not Mod Manager. Mod Manager include fix but main goal is - tadam! - Modding.
Since there is reports for general LAA fix even on that moddb link itself, suggested use general fix (after NTFoce) and its work - then its work. Further suggestion of using UAM or MM or anything else - optional only. It is now further modding, not just compatibility fixes.
Post edited June 17, 2023 by QWEEDDYZ
I had the same issue when playing as Chaos attacking IG's main base.

And then after when I tried to retry the same mission, the game crashed every time at a specific part of the mission (crossing the river and the IG commander calls for Vindicators to attack).

I've tried to use the LAA since, but still am having crashes. I'm trying a reinstall to see if it fixes it.

Edit: Still crashes after a reinstall. Gonna have to wait until this is fixed to keep playing :/
Post edited June 18, 2023 by The_Alphaant
Does anyone have a fix for this yet dark crusade still crashes after pressing commander tab after beating first stronghold and soulstorm crashes constantly during stronghold missions I’ve tried the 4Gb patch windows 7 compatibility mode and the bug fix mod and nothing works The funny thing is I got mods to work pretty easily but the crashing Is out of control I tried removing the mods and it still crashes so it’s not the mods I’m using that’s the problem I have zero problems with the steam versions does anyone know of a fix to these issues

The only mod I use is the advanced campaign mod for both Dark crusade and soulstorm

I solved this crash by changing texture quality option to medium
To everyone
Which one of two GOG versions you use? GOG Galaxy or GOG (offline setup)?

Thats important. In any way - they are differ.
Setup can be reinstalled although i doubt that will solve the issue.

GOG Galaxy version probably corrupted during dkwnload. Always use validate feature in ant client that have it. So do validate game after installation.
There is chance High-quality sga data archive was corrupted. For Galaxy build it is high chance validating will solve the issue.
Reinstall =/= validate! Somtimes reinstall better (if game modded after installation by user). Validate after download anyway.

There is chance it is corrupted in offline version so only Support ticket way to solve. Need to be cleared.

Reminder to close all backgound apps, especially with overlays. Especially MSI Afterburner. And RivaTuner RTSS if you get it as bundle with MSI. It is two separate two differ authors apps. There is separate installers for both and MSI provude bundled. Better reinstall both, installing RTSS from its own setup.
If they not needed during game session - close both. Setup their autostart with Windows. RTSS itself usually nkt make issues, but MSI overlay through RTSS overlay make issues often.
MSI not needed to RTSS working. Install MSI only if you really needed it. Or just keep only RTSS.
Post edited July 03, 2023 by QWEEDDYZ
QWEEDDYZ: To everyone
Which one of two GOG versions you use? GOG Galaxy or GOG (offline setup)?

Thats important. In any way - they are differ.
Setup can be reinstalled although i doubt that will solve the issue.

GOG Galaxy version probably corrupted during dkwnload. Always use validate feature in ant client that have it. So do validate game after installation.
There is chance High-quality sga data archive was corrupted. For Galaxy build it is high chance validating will solve the issue.
Reinstall =/= validate! Somtimes reinstall better (if game modded after installation by user). Validate after download anyway.

There is chance it is corrupted in offline version so only Support ticket way to solve. Need to be cleared.

Reminder to close all backgound apps, especially with overlays. Especially MSI Afterburner. And RivaTuner RTSS if you get it as bundle with MSI. It is two separate two differ authors apps. There is separate installers for both and MSI provude bundled. Better reinstall both, installing RTSS from its own setup.
If they not needed during game session - close both. Setup their autostart with Windows. RTSS itself usually nkt make issues, but MSI overlay through RTSS overlay make issues often.
MSI not needed to RTSS working. Install MSI only if you really needed it. Or just keep only RTSS.
In my case, I've tried reinstalling both from an offline installer downloaded soon after the game was released on the store, and a fresh download of the offline, and through Galaxy, and the same issues come up.

It feels like something gets corrupted in the profile after defeating a stronghold for the first time that stops you from accessing the Commander menu or causes crashes. The only thing that seems to reset it is creating a new profile and playing through past the first Stronghold mission, and then the issue crops back up.

I'm not using any mods, playing pretty much vanilla besides a camera zoom fix, which doesn't stop crashes when I remove. So it seems to be in the base game. I also don't run any overlays or overclocking on my system.

I installed using a CD version that I have and copied over the profile and the issue doesn't show up so it seems to be the GOG version particularly that has the issue. I don't particularly feel like buying the Steam version to check that too, but it would be nice to confirm it does or doesn't have the same issues.
On Win7 Steam version have no issues. Cant test myself GOG version since im russian.
Since symptoms a bit differ from i saw for capitql crashes on win10 i guess win10 not the case here and its indeed anoher broken crafked backport from steam by outsource company (same issues happen with Two Point Hospital)(outsource company make exactly cracked releases of steam versions, outsource not even get all language depots! They just use public available steam build not indev one from Sega).

For TPH issues happen for few first offline builds. GOG Galaxy worked. Try to add game to galaxy and revalidate it (and start new profile game). Maybe it is same DRMfree issue as TPH.

For OP post it looks same as steam or Retail disk versions report from win10 users. There is capital missions crashes for steam on win10 for ppl. Or "scripts sopped doe to error" messages start to appear and missions boken.
Later posts here describe something new.
Post edited July 07, 2023 by QWEEDDYZ

Hoping this can help a few people out, been dealing with the crashes for a few days now, just trying to deal with it but finally got to a point where I couldn't advance my campaign.

I was getting hit with the commander tab crash but realised you don't actually need to visit that tab - it's frustrating but you can add to your honour guard before missions.

For crashing during capital missions, i've found that they are caused by cutscenes, dropping the resolution and all the graphics settings until the cutscene has passed helped me get round the issue - annoying as hell but at least the game can be played.

save often.
For compatibility issue that can he cause of too much Windows UI scale (higher than 125%).
And fullscreen optimisation with DPI scaling options in exe properties.

Lower a bit resolution is a gold idea too. If you are on *K try 1600x900 or 1920x1080 (or you can try some 16:10 a bit more lower with Keep Aspect ratio enabled in video driver, pay attention to numbers 16:10 is higher than 16:9).
Limit FPS (by diver or RivaTuner RTSS or maybe ingame ini file do that - check PCGW game article). Maybe even limit resreshrate.
Ofc turn off any *-sync's - in game and globally in driver. HZ and FPS limits if set should be set somewhere manually.

Remind: framerate are not related to refreshrate. Read PCGW aricle with caution. Editors failed for that differences.

Close or maybe even uninstall overlay apps. First candidate to deletion is MSI Afterburner.
Post edited July 18, 2023 by QWEEDDYZ