It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

AnimalMother117: I am going to try and limit this to games I either finished for the first time this year or games I started for the first time this year, otherwise it would probably be Medieval II or Rome: Total War.

Couple games I finished, but started previously:
Rune Factory (DS)
First got this game in 2009, did not beat it until this year. Really enjoyed it, it's got a certain janky charm to it that later games sorta lack. Can't really describe it. I actually like the character designs in this one the best, the characters look less juvenile if you ask me.

Dragon Quest IX (DS)
I got to the last third or so of this game over the course of two weeks and it took me almost a year to get through the rest of it. Not sure why it took me so long, I really enjoyed it. Then again, I stubbornly insisted on not re-classing anyone, so that's probably why.

First Time played:
Max Payne 3
Enjoyed this game much more than I expected. Of the three games in the series, this was the one I found most fun. Very nice gritty, violent time.

Harvestella
Have not beaten as of yet, am in the third chapter still and taking my time. Did pay full price but honestly I think it was worthwhile even at that. Pretty fun Rune Factory-like game with a heavy Final Fantasy element. About as good as I thought Final Fantasy Explorers was, which is to say very.

Diablo II
Played this game for the first time this year. Have played several games that copied this game before it. It is really kind of surprising just how directly it was copied by so many others.

CS:GO
This is an undeniable classic that many players have been playing since 2012. There is a cool opportunity to customize weapons by purchasing skins for https://skin.club/en/cases/free-case. This is quite interesting. The game is cool, I still play it myself.

If I had to just choose one as a favorite, I'd probably say Max Payne 3.
Good day. I also really like Max Payne 3. Quite an interesting plot and good graphics, what else is needed for the success of the game.
Chernobylite
Incredible game, I can't believe devs nailed the depressive mood so well, the plot is questionable but fine

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Good exploration with a bit of humor, too bad there are only 5 dungeons for the whole game (technically it's even 1). Don't ever play it without DLCs Bundle Pack (DLC 1 + DLC 2), the game needs more content and it seems that many things were cut (e.g. the Love Cake recipe and Broken Heart pond, treasure / truffles / flowers hunters, 2 missing upgrades if playing without DLCs)

God of War 5 (Ragnarök).
Still playing (I think only 2 more gods left), it's like playing God of War 4 but more boring, and the whole game feel "streched", there is lots of talking, the talking part is not always that good.

And for some reason I really liked the theme in Batman: The Telltale Series and Batman: The Enemy Within games.

Metro: Exodus (the section with the last "open area" level in sands, level deisng for building interiors, everything else was boring, DLCs are very short but they are much more interesting.)
Sitting at the top is Blacktail for me this year.
Too close to call! I guess gameplay wise along with just general entertainment I might tie Tales of Berseria and The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 for games completed this year =)
Diablo 3. In a better world, it wouldn't be online only and DRMed, but as it is, the hardcore endgame (character perma-death) is strangely compelling, almost hypnotic.
Post edited December 20, 2022 by LesTyebe
I guess I can answer now:

Most recent game completed that's worth recommending:
Smelter

Long-time mainstays that remain in regular play:
Grim Dawn, Monster Train, Wingspan Digital, Stars in Shadow

Favorite Replay:
Horizon Zero Dawn, for the 3rd time, before starting Forbidden West.

Indie Gem:
LEGO Bricktales. While not flawless, I had a great time playing this little lighthearted puzzle game.

Biggest Disappointment:
Stranger of Paradise [PS5]. SO MUCH POTENTIAL squandered with so many shortcuts taken to a sub-par game from what it could be. It's really aggravating because I see where the game have gone/could go, but didn't.

Top Co-Op Pick:
Spiritfarer. Hubby and I played it thoroughly together.

Games I Started This Year And Really Need To Get Back To:
Yakuza LAD [PS5]
Old World

Overall top pick:
Control. I really hope we get the other games/updated versions of the other games in the continuity here!
Post edited December 20, 2022 by mqstout
kai2: What was your favorite game played in 2022?
Timboli: Quake.

What was your favorite game played in 2021?

What was your favorite game played in 2020?

What was your favorite game played in 2019?

I think a pattern is starting to emerge.

Maybe you should have asked - What was your other favorite game played in 2022?

I don't know, I'd have to check.
I know the feeling.

I've finally come to terms with the fact that I am almost always looking for an experience that reminds me of Dragon's Dogma, and...

... often not finding it...

... I've come back to DD almost yearly.

EarthBound: Starring Sans from Undertale.

The rest

Baten Kaitos Origins: Play children's card games while listening to crazy metal/opera music.
The Battle Cats Unite: When cats ruling the world is being taken literally.
Cat Quest II: It has cats. And dogs. And lots of cat and dog puns.
Child of Light: A whole lotta rhyme.
Ender Lilies - Quietus of the Knights: Moar like Lily's Bizarre Adventure.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land: Kirby, but 3D.
Live a Live: Septapath Traveler.
Mad Rat Dead: Literally moving to the beat.
Radiant Historia: Once upon a time, Atlus used to develop more kinds of games than Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, remasters and Shin Megami Tensei/Persona remasters.
Resident Evil 2 (2019): Back when Leon wasn't a wisecracker.
The Incredible Hulk - Ultimate Destruction: Guess what the game is all about.
Valfaris: What if Warhammer 40K run-and-gun, but with metal. Wait, that might be redundant.
Valiant Hears - The Great War: Fuck that ending.
Zombie Driver HD: Not bad for a mere taxi driver.
The settlers 2

Played it as a child in the 1990s, but never progressed beyond the 5th level. This year, after almost 30 years, I finally managed to complete the entire original campaign (didn't play the expansion, maybe will do so one day).
Was surprisingly fun. Not perfect, in some levels where I had bases on several islands there were serious issues with the AI, because transfer of goods between the islands didn't work properly and I had to fiddle around with the indirect settings. But the basic gameplay is pretty cool, accessible, yet not without a certain complexity.
Didn't play that much else this year, can only think of Star Trek: Armada and Atom rpg as games which I (almost) completed, and those were much more flawed than Settlers.
EDIT: I also played Gibbous. Was ok, 3/5 experience for me.
Post edited December 22, 2022 by morolf
Leroux: I always have trouble picking a favorite. But I had several:

Psychonauts 2
The Excavation of Hob's Barrow
Supraland: Crash
Supraland: Six Inches Under
Wildermyth
Solasta: Crown of the Magister
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
The Wild at Heart
Enderal (once again)
Hands of Necromancy
I also always liked to play cs go and open cases on the platform https://skin.club/community/en/articles/skins-history/.
Hello dear friends. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to play PC games, but recently I played cod mw 2 2022, it's pretty cool, both graphics and story.