It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

bad_fur_day1: Even though it's very hard for me to understand why you'd watch a 1940's film.
Breja: For the same reasons you'd watch any other. I think pre-judging a movie because of how old it is is always a silly thing to do, no matter whether it's dismissing it because it's old, or because it's new. There's plenty of movies from 1940's that feel like they aged less than some from just ten years ago, and just as many old classics that really don't hold up today.
Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai from 1954 is rightfully seen as one of the best movies of all time by later directors.
I've got the original 193m long version and it is brilliant.
Many people don't even know that The Magnificent Seven was a western clad remake of this.

The age of a movie doesn't say anything about the quality, there are good and bad ones in every decade, although I have to say, that the lack of fancy effects did get former directors to take more care when it comes to dialogues, character development, camera angles, acting, etc...
It's just like in video games: The ones that emphasize the latest graphics age worst.
Post edited September 26, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai from 1954 is rightfully seen as one of the best movies of all time by later directors.
I've got the original 193m long version and it is brilliant.
Many people don't even know that The Magnificent Seven was a western clad remake of this.
Fun fact: Battle Beyond the Stars, which InfraSuperman guessed yesterday, is a sci-fi version of those movies.
Post edited September 26, 2015 by Breja
bad_fur_day1: ....
Not a bad list (though movies like The Departed, Sin City, Troy, Harry Potter, Pirates otC, The Craft, 300, Sleepy Hollow, Castaway, Scarface [another remake btw] and some others I consider to be some really terrible/some of the worst!) If you're open to such a variety of film, you should really just toss your pre-judgement of older movies out the window and open up to the idea that they can be really good. Movies really started to come into their own in the mid30s and come the 40s they were producing a lot of great stuff (even older stuff can be great, really!), and there are SO many great movies from varying eras that you're just disregarding for no real reason. Please check out: The Killers (then check out the remake from the 60s, wayyyy better than any of the remakes on your list, they remake movies now out of lazy unimaginitive-ness rather than try to reinterpret or re-envision something for a modern era and remake it well), Kiss Me Deadly, M (Fritz Lange, an incredible director), Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder), Kiss of Death, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, 400 Blows, Jubal, Night of the Hunter, The Third Man, Crossfire (Robert Mitchum is great), Murder, My Sweet, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Elevator to the Gallows, Wages of Fear, The Seventh Seal (anything Bergman!), Wages of Fear, and many more!!! Also check out the older Kubrick movies I'm going to mention below. Also, get some more 70s movies in your system, like I said, perhaps the best decade for movies ever yet. The Deer Hunter, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Being There, THX-1138, Andromeda Strain, Chinatown, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Apocalypse Now, Escape from Alcatraz, Soldier of Orange, Rollerball, Deliverance, and many more!

From other decades: The Great Escape, Easy Rider, Z, My Dinner with Andre, Fanny and Alexander, Midnight Cowboy, Once Upon a Time in the West, oh shit I better stop...

Matewis: Interesting, I've never really thought of the film, or tried to watch it, with such a meta interpretation in mind. I suppose that that could affect how much one enjoys the film, or any other film interpreted similarly. But like you said, it also depends on your palate, which is perhaps why I think I didn't really enjoy the film.
As for his other stuff, come to think of it, I haven't really seen that many of his other films: only Full Metal Jacket and Space Odyssey, both of which I loved. Hmm, I really should fix that. Think I'll start with The Shining, and move onto Dr Strangelove.
Ohyes, there's a lot packed into Eyes Wide Shut (it's very much an art film), as there are a lot of movies (especially Kubrick!) They lend very well to metaphor and allegory and layered meaning and social commentaries and more! I also recommend reading Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey after watching the movie, and then reading the book again, and then re-watching the movie. Doing all that adds a lot to the depth that is already there. I probably had seen the movie 3 times before reading the book and both still blew the mind for a while after.

His catalog is quite short, I highly recommend them all, I consider them all timeless must-see classics. Killer's Kiss is probably his least great, so you could hold off on that. Paths of Glory, The Killing, Lolita, Spartacus, Barry Lyndon, A Clockwork Orange, yep!
bad_fur_day1: As annoying as it will be to the oldies here, all the remakes. :P

[...]
Thought so. If I may ask, what generation do you belong to?

You're missing out, go watch all the originals - having watched the original trilogy, The Departed is highly overrated, imo, and The Jackal can't compare to the original The Day of the Jackal and the performance of Edward Fox.
At least you've watched the original trilogy of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - yes, it's Swedish, and yes, there's also no comparison with the Hollywood remake.

Klumpen0815: The original of The Day of the Jackal is so much better...
I've seen the remake with Bruce Willis and Jack Black (lol) exactly once and the old one 3 times by now.
An assassin shopping for a huge unprecise turret with obviously flawed aiming software that has to be mounted on a truck? Haha! No thanks. I'll take the one shot gun-kit concealed in a crutch.

But that's Hollywood for you: "Mah need biggor gunns!"
I'm impressed by all the details you remember about it - the only thing I remember from it is that Bruce Willis was really blond?

Klumpen0815: [...]

[...]
And Last Man Standing is a remake of A Fistful of Dollars which is a western remake of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo.
HypersomniacLive: Thought so. If I may ask, what generation do you belong to?

You're missing out, go watch all the originals - having watched the original trilogy, The Departed is highly overrated, imo, and The Jackal can't compare to the original The Day of the Jackal and the performance of Edward Fox.
At least you've watched the original trilogy of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - yes, it's Swedish, and yes, there's also no comparison with the Hollywood remake.
80's, I grew up saturated with Predators, Killer robots from the future, Aliens, Ninja Turtles, MTV and too many R rated violent action movies.

So if Schwarzenegger isn't shooting something with a machine gun or blowing something up, I'm unimpressed. :P

drealmer7: Not a bad list (though movies like The Departed, Sin City, Troy, Harry Potter, Pirates otC, The Craft, 300, Sleepy Hollow, Castaway, Scarface [another remake btw] and some others I consider to be some really terrible/some of the worst!) If you're open to such a variety of film, you should really just toss your pre-judgement of older movies out the window and open up to the idea that they can be really good. Movies really started to come into their own in the mid30s and come the 40s they were producing a lot of great stuff (even older stuff can be great, really!), and there are SO many great movies from varying eras that you're just disregarding for no real reason. Please check out: The Killers (then check out the remake from the 60s, wayyyy better than any of the remakes on your list, they remake movies now out of lazy unimaginitive-ness rather than try to reinterpret or re-envision something for a modern era and remake it well), Kiss Me Deadly, M (Fritz Lange, an incredible director), Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder), Kiss of Death, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, 400 Blows, Jubal, Night of the Hunter, The Third Man, Crossfire (Robert Mitchum is great), Murder, My Sweet, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Elevator to the Gallows, Wages of Fear, The Seventh Seal (anything Bergman!), Wages of Fear, and many more!!! Also check out the older Kubrick movies I'm going to mention below. Also, get some more 70s movies in your system, like I said, perhaps the best decade for movies ever yet. The Deer Hunter, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Being There, THX-1138, Andromeda Strain, Chinatown, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Apocalypse Now, Escape from Alcatraz, Soldier of Orange, Rollerball, Deliverance, and many more!

From other decades: The Great Escape, Easy Rider, Z, My Dinner with Andre, Fanny and Alexander, Midnight Cowboy, Once Upon a Time in the West, oh shit I better stop...
I know, I'm a sucker for Troy, great film. And Harry Potter and Pirates. :P

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of my favorites aswell. I also enjoyed the Remake. I've seen Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, Diliverance, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Easy Rider, they arn't some of my favorites.

How can you not like Sin City :o
Post edited September 26, 2015 by bad_fur_day1
HypersomniacLive: And Last Man Standing is a remake of A Fistful of Dollars which is a western remake of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo.
They are all Red Harvest anyway.
bad_fur_day1: How can you not like Sin City :o
Don't mind him, he likes the Star Wars prequels ;)
Breja: So do I. I was really surprised how good it was, especially given how bad the studios previous low budget sci-fi Starcrash turned out. But Battle Beyond the Stars really is about as fun a space-western as you can find. If the new Star Wars movie will be half as enjoyable it'll be a success.
As far as I know, New World Pictures was only Starcrash's distributor in the U.S., as it was produced by a different company and largely made in Italy, whereas Battle beyond the Stars was pretty much a typical Roger Corman production, just with a higher budget than usual. Ed Glaser has made a pretty interesting video about Starcrash.

I really love how Corman would later go on to recycle various parts of Battle beyond the Stars for other movies. At some point, I lost count how many of his productions featured James Horner's score; while the film's special effects sequences were used to make Space Raiders in 1983, which then, alongside several other films, got edited into the highly bizarre Andy Colby's Incredible Adventure/Andy and the Airwave Rangers.
Breja: Don't mind him, he likes the Star Wars prequels ;)
I'll just go and get the torches and pitchforks, k? ;)

Now I'm interested in "Battle Yebond the Stars" which seems to have the awkward title "Sador - Herrscher im Weltraum" here and the cheapest one I could find was a DVD for 33€ and a used one with so-so condition for 15€. :/
I've never heard of this movie before and it seems to be completely unknown in Germany.
Post edited September 26, 2015 by Klumpen0815
HypersomniacLive: Second pic looks familiar - Henry Fonda film?
It is indeed.
Horrible writing, horrible acting, horrible directing. Contrived, stupid nonsense alllllll around. It's so bad it hurts. If you want to come over and put it on I will take you step by step through it and explain to you why it is so horrible. I can do that with most movies, and have done it for people, and it brings them into the light almost always.

I was also born in the 80s, for information.
Post edited September 26, 2015 by drealmer7
Klumpen0815: Now I'm interested in "Battle Yebond the Stars" which seems to have the awkward title "Sador - Herrscher im Weltraum" here and the cheapest one I could find was a DVD for 33€ and a used one with so-so condition for 15€. :/
I've never heard of this movie before and it seems to be completely unknown in Germany.
Ah, so it's one of those stupid cases where the DVD went out of print and WB never bothered to release another one. I was fortunate enough to pick one up for about 6€ several years ago.
Post edited September 26, 2015 by InfraSuperman
drealmer7: Horrible writing, horrible acting, horrible directing. Contrived, stupid nonsense alllllll around. It's so bad it hurts. If you want to come over and put it on I will take you step by step through it and explain to you why it is so horrible. I can do that with most movies, and have done it for people, and it brings them into the light almost always.

I was also born in the 80s, for information.
I'm afraid you might be fighting a losing battle with me and Sin City, there's no chance you could change my mind on that one. Subversive, violent, great direction, great acting, great characters, great cinematography, great dialog. Dancing Jessica Alba. Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke tearing up the Noir. Rosario Dawson in the smallest outfit ever.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the matter of Sin City. :P
bad_fur_day1: Sin City...
It's pretty much all contrived scenerios to show some ultra-violence for the love of violence's sake, which I don't love. Utterly pointless and tasteless, again, with horrible acting and directing. I love Bruce, Mickey, even Jessica (love Dark Angel, anyway), but not in that movie.

There's this really great little-known movie called "Fall Time" with Mickey Rourke, I recommend it to everyone. Stephen Baldwin is also in it and doesn't suck or be cheesey stupid, performance of his life.
Post edited September 26, 2015 by drealmer7
low rated
Breja: So do I. I was really surprised how good it was, especially given how bad the studios previous low budget sci-fi Starcrash turned out. But Battle Beyond the Stars really is about as fun a space-western as you can find. If the new Star Wars movie will be half as enjoyable it'll be a success.
InfraSuperman: As far as I know, New World Pictures was only Starcrash's distributor in the U.S., as it was produced by a different company and largely made in Italy, whereas Battle beyond the Stars was pretty much a typical Roger Corman production, just with a higher budget than usual. Ed Glaser has made a pretty interesting video about Starcrash.
Thanks for pointing that out. I thought since it was distributed by New World, and was included in Roger Corman's Cult Classics, it's their production too. I'm writing some articles for the premiere of Episode VIII, one about the Star Wars wannabes of the late 70s/early 80s, and I mistakenly attributed both movies to New World, but I corrected it now. Thanks for saving me a mistake.
bad_fur_day1: We'll have to agree to disagree on the matter of Sin City. :P
Sin City is an exercise in style. You either like that style or not. I love noir, so I love the over the top, overstylized super-serious mockery noir style of SIn City. But it's also the very reason I don't much care for the sequel (which is ok, but just unnecessary), and for most of the comics. There isn't much to Sin City beyond style, so there's little point for me in reading/watching more than one Sin City story.
Breja: Sin City is an exercise in style. You either like that style or not. I love noir, so I love the over the top, overstylized super-serious mockery noir style of SIn City. But it's also the very reason I don't much care for the sequel (which is ok, but just unnecessary), and for most of the comics. There isn't much to Sin City beyond style, so there's little point for me in reading/watching more than one Sin City story.
Agreed, but that dame was a Dame to Kill For. :D