It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Terry Pratchet's Soul Music..
DadJoke007: SPOILER WARNING REGARDING THE SHINING

And here I enjoyed the movie far more than the book, I thought the book was pretty boring and pointless. The father was a dick from the first page so his descent into violence and insanity wasn't nearly as terrifying as it could have been if he had been a nuanced but flawed person.
PhilD: I had, completely, the opposite reaction. I was surprised at how much more there
was to the Jack Torrance character in the book (all the main characters really.)
I really got invested in them.
[…]
Maybe some reading this might not be aware, but, Stephen King was very cross at Nicholson's portrayal because his character was meant to gradually go crazy, not be a psychopath from the beginning. :D
oldgamebuff42: The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy.
Excellent plot. Did you know Clancy adapted a patriotic Soviet story? I think it might even have been the Potemkin …
Read Misery and The Long Walk! His best that does not include supernatural stuff.
PhilD: I had, completely, the opposite reaction. I was surprised at how much more there
was to the Jack Torrance character in the book (all the main characters really.)
I really got invested in them.
[…]
scientiae: Maybe some reading this might not be aware, but, Stephen King was very cross at Nicholson's portrayal because his character was meant to gradually go crazy, not be a psychopath from the beginning. :D
oldgamebuff42: The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy.
scientiae: Excellent plot. Did you know Clancy adapted a patriotic Soviet story? I think it might even have been the Potemkin …
Finished the Tom Clancy book. Solid read, with a nice twist at the end that I wasn't expecting. Now I'm reading Lord of Snow and Shadows by Sarah Ash. Man, that chick knows how to write!
Post edited December 05, 2019 by oldgamebuff42
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.

A book that certainly needs no introduction...
Changelog for a game.
Finished Foucault's Pendulum and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.

Currently reading Crime and Punishment. Also The Essential Rousseau before bed.
Das Berufsverbot by Katrin McClean
About the satirist Uwe Steimle.
Cuentos de amor, de locura y de muerte by Horacio Quiroga.
Now reading The Children of Men by P. D. James.
Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks
Articles:
Das Recht der Besitzenden (1/4)
Das Recht der Besitzenden (2/4)
Excerpts from the book "Sklaverei als Menschenrecht" by Rainer Roth.
Article: Der Feind im Innern by Chris Hedges
Translation of The Enemy Within
Currently, I am reading "The power of the subconscious mind". It's a great book to keep you motivated.
Regards,
Lewis
The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee