It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

angine: ...
Good idea! I think I should find a few weeks to do exactly the same.
Have a nice reading!
In celebrating the autumnal equinox I took the endeavor to begin my journey to Mercury of E.R.Eddison's "The Worm Ouroboros".
Post edited September 23, 2019 by Dunatarh
Time of Contempt. The second Witcher book in the series.
Wincton Grum Black heart.
Old issues of "Pixel Magazine".
Yep. Now I can see. I don't need a new hardware. Retro gaming is my love.
The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells.
Stupid replies made by certain Idiots on a forum!
Post edited September 24, 2019 by fr33kSh0w2012
The Shining by Stephen King

I'm about 260 pages in... I'm trying to read The Shining and Doctor Sleep
before I go see the upcoming Doctor Sleep movie.
Post edited September 24, 2019 by PhilD
Dream of the Red Chamber. This is a translation of a translation that leaves out some characters and side plots.
Right now, mostly assigned readings for school. As for my free time it is Ten Caesars: Roman Emperors from Augustus to Constantine by Barry Strauss, which I just started, and this relates to one of my classes that I am taking this quarter.
Post edited September 30, 2019 by CrazyProfessor2
I'm generally a literature snob, but my guilty pleasure is Stephen King. Just finished The Institute, and I think it's up there with his best.
wasp08: I'm generally a literature snob, but my guilty pleasure is Stephen King. Just finished The Institute, and I think it's up there with his best.
I was an English major and I'm getting tired of people referring to King as a "guilty pleasure". Yeah, he's put out some crap, but EVERY WRITER HAS. Being successful and appealing to a mass audience doesn't make your work any less legitimate (which is an obscenely subjective term onto it's own). Verne, Dickens, and Twain (just to name a few) were wildly successful and adored by the masses while they were alive and working, but no one refers to them as a "guilty pleasure". Mr King is a great writer, and he deserves to be recognized as such.

SO READ ON, and don't feel bad about it. :D
World War Z.
muttly13: World War Z.
GREAT BOOK!
wasp08: I'm generally a literature snob, but my guilty pleasure is Stephen King. Just finished The Institute, and I think it's up there with his best.
tinyE: I was an English major and I'm getting tired of people referring to King as a "guilty pleasure". Yeah, he's put out some crap, but EVERY WRITER HAS. Being successful and appealing to a mass audience doesn't make your work any less legitimate (which is an obscenely subjective term onto it's own). Verne, Dickens, and Twain (just to name a few) were wildly successful and adored by the masses while they were alive and working, but no one refers to them as a "guilty pleasure". Mr King is a great writer, and he deserves to be recognized as such.

SO READ ON, and don't feel bad about it. :D
I have a First Class BA in English language/Lit and an MA with Distinction in Creative Writing. This means that I can't help but see King as a guilty pleasure. He isn't a particularly good prose stylist, and his work doesn't offer the level of sophistication that I have been taught to value. But he is an exceptional natural storyteller. The elements that make him special are almost impossible to teach. Part of it is a natural empathy for his characters. The good thing is that academics are now beginning to recognise this, and to accept that there's something beyond technical and theoretical excellence.

But, you know, what's wrong with having a guilty pleasure anyway? I love masturbation.