It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

huppumies: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne.

ConsulCaesar: Fun fact: my high school Literature teacher decided to break the tradition of forcing (and torturing) all 16-year-old students to read the whole Quixote and replaced it with the Lazarillo. I'm still grateful for that!
huppumies: Oh man, I tried reading Don Quixote some time ago and found it kind of awful. The translation may not have been the best, but I don't think that made a huge difference. I made it through Part 1 and just stopped, as I wasn't ejoying reading the book at all. Part 2 may be better, but I doubt I'll ever finish it. Being forced to read that at 16? Tortrure sounds about right.
Making the bulk of youngsters read that title does not make much sense. It is a book best read in maturity. Finding out about the author's life might lead to a better appreciation, too.
huppumies: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne.

Oh man, I tried reading Don Quixote some time ago and found it kind of awful. The translation may not have been the best, but I don't think that made a huge difference. I made it through Part 1 and just stopped, as I wasn't ejoying reading the book at all. Part 2 may be better, but I doubt I'll ever finish it. Being forced to read that at 16? Tortrure sounds about right.
Carradice: Making the bulk of youngsters read that title does not make much sense. It is a book best read in maturity. Finding out about the author's life might lead to a better appreciation, too.
Yep. As well as knowing about the history and society of his time. I would like to read all of it some day (I have only read excerpts), but I'm not in a hurry.
Carradice: Making the bulk of youngsters read that title does not make much sense. It is a book best read in maturity. Finding out about the author's life might lead to a better appreciation, too.
ConsulCaesar: Yep. As well as knowing about the history and society of his time. I would like to read all of it some day (I have only read excerpts), but I'm not in a hurry.
Faulkner read it every year. In his own words, "like other people reads the Bible".
Brothers In Arms by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Very fun military Sci-Fi, part of her VorKosigan saga (she never named the series, its just what fan's call it). I recommend it to just about everyone.
The Dead of Winter by Dominic Cooper.

Bleak. Beautiful.
Molkor06: Brothers In Arms by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Very fun military Sci-Fi, part of her VorKosigan saga (she never named the series, its just what fan's call it). I recommend it to just about everyone.
Nice! Are you reading them in the sequence they were written?
The Easter Parade by Richard Yates.
Anna Karenina. The classics are the classics for a reason.
Molkor06: Brothers In Arms by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Carradice: Nice! Are you reading them in the sequence they were written?
chronologically actually. I'm starting Mirror Dance next.
Huojuva talo by Maria Jotuni.
Article: Faschismus beginnt im Kopf by Peter Frey
About fascism in our minds.
viperfdl: Article: Faschismus beginnt im Kopf by Peter Frey
Is there any conclusion?

I just started Woke by Titania McGrath
viperfdl: Article: Faschismus beginnt im Kopf by Peter Frey
Orkhepaj: Is there any conclusion?
Well, these are observations the author made here in Germany. He comes to the conclusion that fascism is on the rise because of Corona. The rise of a new enemy image: everyone who doesn't obey to the government and the anti Corona measures without questioning.
Don't let someone panic you because frightened people are easy to rule.
Orkhepaj: Is there any conclusion?
viperfdl: Well, these are observations the author made here in Germany. He comes to the conclusion that fascism is on the rise because of Corona. The rise of a new enemy image: everyone who doesn't obey to the government and the anti Corona measures without questioning.
Don't let someone panic you because frightened people are easy to rule.
Yeah this is true thanks for the info.
I'm re-reading Dreamcatcher by Stephen King. One of the best horror novels produced by him, in my opinion(I hated the Stand.)