It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Take a deep dive into a title rooted in Chinese history and mythology.
Genre: RPG
Discount: 30% off until 7th February 2022
low rated
Xuan-Yuan, to the foram...
low rated
Based on the Steam reviews, I hope this isn't what Devotion was booted for. ;)

though of course in a vacuum I have no problem with the game being here (less curation etc etc), and it looks like other Softstar published games got good reviews, especially Sword and Fairy (Overwhelmingly Positive, so hopefully that shows up).
Post edited January 31, 2022 by tfishell
Well, in my case, the stories and the millenary Chinese culture have always attracted my attention. This video game looks amazing. But, I'd better wait for the owners' reviews before I buy it and add it to my catalogue. I hope it will be a great title. For now, to the wish list. Thanks, GOG!
Looks interesting. Guess I'll get around to it when I make some progress on my backlog.
tfishell: I hope this isn't what Devotion was booted for.
Both were made and published by people from Taiwan, so definite no on that one.
Any chance of having the previous Xuan Yuan Sword titles and/or The Legend of Sword and Fairy titles available as well?
Post edited January 31, 2022 by 1jocator
Got get, GOG. I'm been keeping an eye on these Chinese RPGs on Steam, and now I get the option to buy it here.

Would be great to see the Sword & Fairy games here too
Sands of Salzaar, Dysons Sphere Programm and Tales of Immortal are also games to look out for. They're all amazing games IMHO.

I heard Xuan-Yuan has a slow start, hopefully I am wrong because it certainly looks intruiging.
According to the product page only Chinese audio language, but text in English, Deutsch, Español, français, Türkçe, русский, 日本語 and 한국어.

Screenshots appear to be Chinese though, not sure that's a good idea on a site with mostly not-Chinese customers.
Post edited January 31, 2022 by W3irdN3rd
W3irdN3rd: According to the product page only Chinese audio language, but text in English, Deutsch, Español, français, Türkçe, русский, 日本語 and 한국어.

Screenshots appear to be Chinese though, not sure that's a good idea on a site with mostly not-Chinese customers.
If you watch the trailer you'll see that the menus and the game itself has been translated to English (and presumably to the other listed languages).
1jocator: Any chance of having the previous Xuan Yuan Sword titles and/or The Legend of Sword and Fairy titles available as well?
This. Heard those are / this is the pinacle of chinese offline RPGs. So. Yeah. Bring those here, too. Please GOG.
low rated
So this game is part 7? Why not bring the first 6 here as well?
Ancient-Red-Dragon: So this game is part 7? Why not bring the first 6 here as well?
Parts 6 upwards were published in english. Parts 1 to 5 are chinese-only. So no market here, only for "real chinese". Not enough marketshare here on GOG. But I would buy the english translated ones.
Nice one! Sadly, I bought it a while ago on Steam. I take it the release doesn't include the OST?
Dray2k: Sands of Salzaar, Dysons Sphere Programm and Tales of Immortal are also games to look out for. They're all amazing games IMHO.

I heard Xuan-Yuan has a slow start, hopefully I am wrong because it certainly looks intruiging.
It does have a slow start. Compared to the demo, where you get enemy variety and a boss fight within the first 20-30 min, the actual game has you spend several hours fighting primarily only wolves.

Pacing isn't its strong suite. It's a decent AA title in the vein of Witcher 2, but I wasn't a huge fan of the bestiary- there are many enemy types, but they can all be loosely described as either some version of undead/goblins/ghosts (who all share the same greyish-purple colour palette), or enemy soldiers, who all wear the same uniforms. The combat isn't bad, but the enemy roster looks pretty boring.

I did like the puzzles, though. And the "Chinese Chess" minigame was fun, :)

There are some interesting RPG systems under the hood, but it takes a while until you can take full advantage of them. There are 2 optional bosses you can fight in late game that let you really play around with your skills and item builds, but overall, the game is quite linear and straightforward. The game would've benefited from more ways to customize the look of your characters with gear as well. The boss battles were pretty fun. I got all but one achievement, b/c that oen requires you to experiment with the game's alchemy system to get a "failed fusion", which depends on RNG. The whole playthrough took me 80 hours according to Steam.

Ancient-Red-Dragon: So this game is part 7? Why not bring the first 6 here as well?
This is the first game in the series that's using real-time combat, as opposed to the turn-based battle systems of the earlier games. It's also supposed to be a graphical step up, which is why they released it with a simultaneous English localization. The story involves a character who appears to have been playable in earlier games, but it's very much a standalone game in terms of story.
Post edited January 31, 2022 by kud13