It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Uncover the ancient mysteries of the depths depicted in the classic style of Lovecraftian horror. Stirring Abyss is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM with a 15% discount lasting until 5th November 2020, 4 PM UTC. In this indie tactical squad-based game with strong RPG elements, you take charge of the surviving crew of the USS Salem, a U.S. Navy submarine that sinks while on a top-secret research mission during the early years of the Cold War.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
Maybe this is the one that will give me a modern Terror from the Deep experience.
Would be nice to see some actual gameplay in action.
Mr.Mumbles: Would be nice to see some actual gameplay in action.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stirring+abyss

Kinda makes me wanna play Mechanicus instead.
A warm welcome to Slitherine & friends!
Looks awesome! I was a little worried with the initial screenshots (from the "Coming Soon" notice) that the combat maps looked "cluttered" but from these it certainly looks like they cleaned it up and it's easier to navigate / units stand out a bit more. This might be an expensive sale for me!
Vollinger: Kinda makes me wanna play Mechanicus instead.
Have you ever played it? AWESOME game - I hadn't heard of it / didn't have much in the way of expectations but it was a ton of fun. I loved upgrading my guys and making the tough decisions of picking missions that all seemed to have great rewards in the form of new units, upgrades, weapons etc. I even liked the "cognition" aspect where your little tech priests had to jockey exploration and skills in order to fire their higher tier weapons off - almost reminded me of the great tradeoffs I'm experiencing in Battletech where setting up ranges and heat management and such alters which of your big guns are able to actually be brought to bear and when.
Looks really interesting but sadly no linux compatibility :(
At the abyss of madness...
So I took the plunge!

I'm in the middle of Battletech and this is almost a very similar type of game - usually I'll hold off on playing too many games in a genre at a time.

... but I LOVE the subject matter, Lovecraftian influence and stylish art direction. Mechanics seem spot on and I have to support a dev releasing this type of game, with this sort of subject matter, on release here. It's exactly up my alley so how can't I right?

Anyway - if anyone wants quick impressions I might be persuaded to but Battletech aside for a few hours (it's like being an armchair general over a cup of coffee, spending 45 minutes trying to squeeze a few extra tons of armament on a giant robot LOL - and that's not even including time IN mission!).
Looks interesting :)
So early impressions...

... the game is great. Atmosphere, sound and writing are all top notch. The music is creepy and forboding, the sub creaks and makes various sounds of underwater distress - the little writeups are like pared down atmospheric Sunless Sea sort of snippets.

"Combat" on a map is slow creepy exploration - but while you "feel" like you're inching forward and ducking carefully around, always afraid you're about to run out of oxygen - in practice it moves quickly and smooth. It's an easy contrast with my Battletech playthrough, where I'll spend a turn unloading with 4 'mechs into one Medium class and it feels like nothing happened. The combat / exploration here, at least on the first few maps feels just spot on. Quick in practice, but like a slow burn in "feel."

Game seems nicely deep too, without being overwhelming. Already there are practical skills to level and parts of my sub to access - some neat stuff to craft (without the JRPG syndrome of 4,000 esoteric crafting ingredients to unlock a secret weapon - this is more inline with Alder's Blood). Sanity system, fun exploration and slow reveal of the world and just the right sort of mechanics you'd expect in a game like this.

Really looking forward to putting in more time. Only bummer is I hope I don't end up shelving Battletech prematurely! ;)
Is it turn based or realtime?
Judicat0r: Is it turn based or realtime?
Its turn based. ;)
Judicat0r: Is it turn based or realtime?
Godfather101: Its turn based. ;)
OK thanks, basically every unit has two action points which can be used for combat and movement?
Ixamyakxim: So early impressions...

... the game is great. Atmosphere, sound and writing are all top notch. The music is creepy and forboding, the sub creaks and makes various sounds of underwater distress - the little writeups are like pared down atmospheric Sunless Sea sort of snippets.

"Combat" on a map is slow creepy exploration - but while you "feel" like you're inching forward and ducking carefully around, always afraid you're about to run out of oxygen - in practice it moves quickly and smooth. It's an easy contrast with my Battletech playthrough, where I'll spend a turn unloading with 4 'mechs into one Medium class and it feels like nothing happened. The combat / exploration here, at least on the first few maps feels just spot on. Quick in practice, but like a slow burn in "feel."

Game seems nicely deep too, without being overwhelming. Already there are practical skills to level and parts of my sub to access - some neat stuff to craft (without the JRPG syndrome of 4,000 esoteric crafting ingredients to unlock a secret weapon - this is more inline with Alder's Blood). Sanity system, fun exploration and slow reveal of the world and just the right sort of mechanics you'd expect in a game like this.

Really looking forward to putting in more time. Only bummer is I hope I don't end up shelving Battletech prematurely! ;)
You've convinced me to buy it.
Will download and give it a play tomorrow.