It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Uncover the ancient mysteries of the depths depicted in the classic style of Lovecraftian horror. Stirring Abyss is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM with a 15% discount lasting until 5th November 2020, 4 PM UTC. In this indie tactical squad-based game with strong RPG elements, you take charge of the surviving crew of the USS Salem, a U.S. Navy submarine that sinks while on a top-secret research mission during the early years of the Cold War.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
The trailer cracked me up so much. It doesn't feel like horror trailer more like a hentai parody.

"Your arms!"

"Yeah you like it?" *move tentacle arms to her face/helmet*

And I was like "Do I need to be alone to watch this?"

Also it doesn't help that the female voice actor sounds more excited than terrified.
Godfather101: Its turn based. ;)
Judicat0r: OK thanks, basically every unit has two action points which can be used for combat and movement?
Yeah. Movement costs less than 1 action point, but an action (like an attack or use of skill) uses 1 or more
action points.
Also you can get more action points (don't know how much exactly but one member of my team has 3 Action
points now through an "upgrade" ^^).
How actions cost less than a point? How the game manages them, is it like, let's say, a quarter of point to turn around and so on?
I'm trying to wrap my head around that.
Bought it
Doc0075: You've convinced me to buy it.
Will download and give it a play tomorrow.
It's a pretty good game - I'm having a lot of fun. One think I didn't realize initially is that Corruption carries over from mission to mission - so maybe that alters how you'll play (I explored a bit "too much" in maps and didn't care about corruption thinking it would "reset" after the mission... time will tell if that was an unrecoverable mistake... ;) ).

Judicat0r: How actions cost less than a point? How the game manages them, is it like, let's say, a quarter of point to turn around and so on?
There's actually no facing in the game. I can't tell if you get accuracy or damage bonuses for flanking (I don't think so).

The tactics are still pretty damn fun - I had a major fight where I started to really see the importance of all the stuff in your "toolkit" including some things I had been ignoring...

Once you start using an action point to move, it's "gone" - you can always move up to the full amount granted by using it, and the little pip "drains" as you move so you can see how much of that AP is left for movement (in addition to seeing the typical blue grid of range squares).

You can keep moving after some actions, but a lot (not all!) of the attacks "drain" all your AP and end your turn, so something to keep in mind.
Just to let those who are interested know, achievements have been added to the Gog version.

Am really enjoying the game. Great atmosphere, the tactical combat is quite simple but fun, lovely dark and brooding music.
Ixamyakxim: It's a pretty good game - I'm having a lot of fun. One think I didn't realize initially is that Corruption carries over from mission to mission - so maybe that alters how you'll play (I explored a bit "too much" in maps and didn't care about corruption thinking it would "reset" after the mission... time will tell if that was an unrecoverable mistake... ;) ).

Judicat0r: How actions cost less than a point? How the game manages them, is it like, let's say, a quarter of point to turn around and so on?
Ixamyakxim: There's actually no facing in the game. I can't tell if you get accuracy or damage bonuses for flanking (I don't think so).

The tactics are still pretty damn fun - I had a major fight where I started to really see the importance of all the stuff in your "toolkit" including some things I had been ignoring...

Once you start using an action point to move, it's "gone" - you can always move up to the full amount granted by using it, and the little pip "drains" as you move so you can see how much of that AP is left for movement (in addition to seeing the typical blue grid of range squares).

You can keep moving after some actions, but a lot (not all!) of the attacks "drain" all your AP and end your turn, so something to keep in mind.
I missed yor reply, so how you can tell how much you can move?
I mean in X-COM and TFTD you could make the math of the time units and know for sure what you could and could not do.
Ixamyakxim: It's a pretty good game - I'm having a lot of fun. One think I didn't realize initially is that Corruption carries over from mission to mission - so maybe that alters how you'll play (I explored a bit "too much" in maps and didn't care about corruption thinking it would "reset" after the mission... time will tell if that was an unrecoverable mistake... ;) ).

There's actually no facing in the game. I can't tell if you get accuracy or damage bonuses for flanking (I don't think so).

Judicat0r: I missed yor reply, so how you can tell how much you can move?
I mean in X-COM and TFTD you could make the math of the time units and know for sure what you could and could not do.
For movement you have a grid of squares that show where you can go. Squares with a solid border you can move to with your first action point. Squares with a broken border use your second action point. So you might have 5 solid squares to move into around you, plus another 5 broken squares all around beyond them.
When moving, you can move one square at a time if you want to cautiously see what is ahead and can keep going until said action points are used up.

Ixamyakxim: There's actually no facing in the game. I can't tell if you get accuracy or damage bonuses for flanking (I don't think so).

I had some concerns regarding reviews I found telling the game's difficulty would be very high. Is that so?

I did not find a lot of time to play it, recently. So I am only in Mission 3, but on normal. Now I am afraid, that the game soon turns unplayably hard.
I am used to playing Xcom2 on normal, so what do I expect?!

Thx

Schlaumayr: I had some concerns regarding reviews I found telling the game's difficulty would be very high. Is that so?

I did not find a lot of time to play it, recently. So I am only in Mission 3, but on normal. Now I am afraid, that the game soon turns unplayably hard.

Thx
I didn't find the difficulty of this game too high, tbh. Not harder than XCOM2 in general terms. I played on normal and, excepting a few encounters, it is not a too hard challenge if you proceed with some caution. I finished the game without any casualty and even found the boss battles too easy for my taste. Not a cakewalk, but a game you can play on hard if you really want a tough challenge.

Schlaumayr: I had some concerns regarding reviews I found telling the game's difficulty would be very high. Is that so?

Thx
I found the game gets a lot easier once you start unlocking the upgrades. Mutate one of your crew into a self-healing tank and equip the other three (one upgrade lets you take a fourth crew member on missions) with multi-firing harpoon guns and darts. Remember to repair the rooms in your Submarine every chance you get as well.
Schlaumayr: I am used to playing Xcom2 on normal, so what do I expect?!

Thx
I'll echo what the others said to let you know it isn't annoyingly punishing - there *are* a few points after the early game, but probably before mid-game where you haven't (or at least I didn't ;) ) learned to manage air and especially insanity and a few tougher enemies show up (more hitpoints / damage than you're used to) but it's never frustrating. And you quickly get the tools you need. The game has a nice balance of requiring you to use sound judgment in most encounters - I actually enjoyed the difficulty curve.

Plus, I went way too long without mutating my guys... ;) I kinda felt bad for them heh. But once I did, I couldn't stop! Embrace the madness ;)

Oh, and use those little spells! They don't seem like a big deal at first, but those simple movement and defense spells made all the difference in the world at crucial points in quite a few missions for me.
thanks a lot for your insights. I guess then I‘ll continue on normal. I am usually cautious in turnbased tactics… enough time to reflect my actions :)
Doc0075: ...snip
Lone_Scout: ...snip
Ixamyakxim: ...snip
Thank you for all your feedback in this thread, guys. It made me wishlist the game for now.