It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FPS Immortals are here.

Quake II: Quad Damage, Quake III: Gold, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny - are available now, DRM-free on GOG.com. You can pick them up at 33% off in two bundles:
<span class="bold">Quake Damage</span> & <span class="bold">Return to Wolfenstein</span>.

Wolfenstein 3D (with Spear of Destiny) is widely considered to be the first true 3D FPS ever. It single handedly kickstarted a generation of id Software greats, and thus influenced just about every FPS we've played ever since. Its mazes, shades of gray, and blue hues are burned into the collective gaming memory - plus you get to kill a mechanized Hitler. Classic.
In the early days of FPS gaming, Quake II: Quad Damage was the milestone. In a spot-on review from 1997, GameSpot calls it "the only first-person shooter to render the original Quake entirely obsolete." It was bigger, better, prettier, and smoother than any clone or predecessor - it also offered one of the most playable, and by far most popular multiplayer experiences of its day.
Quake III: Gold, aka. multiplayer revolution. Despite a controversial removal of the lauded single-player experience the series was known for, Quake III: Arena became a smash-hit and (together with Unreal Tournament) essentially defined arena-style, movement-based competitive gaming for years. The shooter spawned a community that's been living and breathing to this day.
In B.J. Blazkowicz's Return to Castle Wolfenstein, another legend is born. A unique, objective-based multiplayer mode saw immense popularity back in the day - and it was actually pretty okay if you're into that sort of thing. The single-player campaign is a dark, somewhat ridiculous freak show of morbid, scientific fantasy. An ever present sense of dread emanates from the disturbing experiments and cult-like universe, just waiting to be set afire - by you.

As with any Bethesda purchase, you'll also get The Elder Scrolls: Arena & Daggerfall for free!

Prepare to fight in Quake II: Quad Damage, Quake III: Gold, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny - now DRM-free on GOG.com. Return to the FPS immortals at 33% off in two bundles: <span class="bold">Quake Damage</span> & <span class="bold">Return to Wolfenstein</span>. The promo will last for one week, until October 8, 12:59 PM GMT.

The four titles released today are not available for purchase in Germany. These are legal restrictions that are beyond our control, and we're very sorry for the inconvenience.
Great additions.

Wonder if this means we will get Fallout 3 and New Vegas in November.
I just jizzed my pants!!! Holy shit, awesome!!!!

Oh, I'm gog user second class. As a German there is nothing for me here :(

I ask again kindly: Turn off your german site. Make it as it were before. Let us Germans buy on your old website. Please?
Yeah, great. Good job, GOG...

I'm from Germany, I just saw that those games were new here, I were totally happy about this, I tried to buy them right away and eventually I wondered why the link wouldn't work. Now I have to read that nonsence about legal restrictions in Germany again. The very same untrue statements which I first saw on the Steam page of Wolfenstein - The new order.

Quake 2 and 3 are indexed, which means that they are rated 18+ and advertising is restricted (the advertisements must not be seen by minors). And yes, thats just all.

The Wolfenstein games are not restricted either. If you want a detailed description of the legal situation, write me - I'll happily explain.

I always believed that saying "No" to any customer-unfriendly restrictions, like DRM or geolocking was one of your main principles, GOG. If Bethesta isn't fully aware of the legal situation in Germany (and by the way, they don't seem to be interested very much) and therefore forces you to bow to those restrictions, their titles shouldn't be here at all...
BigBadBorg: I just jizzed my pants!!! Holy shit, awesome!!!!

Oh, I'm gog user second class. As a German there is nothing for me here :(

I ask again kindly: Turn off your german site. Make it as it were before. Let us Germans buy on your old website. Please?
It really great: second class offers with first class prices. ;-)

At least I'm used the disappointment.
mk47at: It is perfectly legal to sell all Quake titles to persons that are older than 18 years!
That is correct but currently there is no decent (cheap, easy, privacy and customer friendly) method to solidly prove one's adultness(+18) over the internet ... plus you have to hide them to minors(-18), so how can you do that in a decent and reliable manner? You can't, imo

Klumpen0815: ...GoG could continue to do the same...
Bethesda decided, not gog, to not sell these games to germans ...
Post edited October 01, 2015 by mobutu
If anyone got Quake 3 arena and wants to fix it to work properly on full hd and fix the little bugs here is a thread I made

http://www.gog.com/forum/quake_series/quake_3_arena_hd_resolution_texture_pack_small_fixes_links_inside
Skitchy: It would be so awesome if the got the 2009 Wolfenstein.

That's the only one in the series that you can't get digitally at the moment.
Yeah, more Ravensoft is a good thing. :)
Skitchy: It would be so awesome if the got the 2009 Wolfenstein.

That's the only one in the series that you can't get digitally at the moment.
rodrolliv: My physical copy has an Activision logo on the back cover, I'm pretty sure that's part of the problem...
Return to Wolfenstein was published by Activision too originally.
Post edited October 01, 2015 by haydenaurion
IronArcturus: Will the new game forums for Quake and Wolfenstein be uploaded soon?
Thiev: As soon as our Product Minions get home probably. We had some network problems today at the office.
You let them out of their cage? Tsk tsk
GOG forums ate my posts again. :(
No manuals or any form of goodies? The price tags are ludicrous as it is, so i would have appreciated a few extras. Friggin' Bethesda.
mobutu: Bethesda decided, not gog, to not sell these games to germans ...
I don't understand why people keep ignoring this. GoG is beholden to Bethesda's wishes as long as they are selling their games here. That is the sacrifice you make to have these games here. Yes it sucks for german consumers but GoG made the decision some time ago to sell titles it otherwise never would be able to without region lock.
thesmashingone: Nice releases, GOG! Although, before I buy, can anyone confirm if Quake 2 comes with music?
Thiev: Yes.
hell yeah!!! :D
jalister: If the CD keys don't require any sort of online check or activation, I don't have a problem with it. It may be the only type of copy protection I'm OK with, provided the keys only prevent people from playing together with the same key.

Keep the id games coming. While you're at it, get Raven Software on board.
DCT: Why? Raven Software is owned by Activision and we already have Activision here and just about all the games Raven did that are worth a damn are owned by other companies who are already signed here Jedi Knight 2 - Lucasarts/Disney, Heretic - ID/Bethesda, Hexen - ID/Bethesda and so on.
Since I don't know who owns each of their games, I'll be more specific...

Shadowcaster
CyClones
Heretic
Hexen: Beyond Heretic
Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders
Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
Hexen II
Heretic II
Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force
PaterAlf: But there's no real reason to completely lock the games for Germans (and when the publishers says he's forbidden to sell them in Germany it's simply a lie).
Technically they're not forbidden from selling their games in Germany, they're forbidden from selling products that break German laws, and in order to legally sell the product there they have to modify it to comply with the law. Return to Castle Wolfenstein and various other video games contain Nazi symbols which are banned in Germany, and therefore games that contain graphics depicting Nazi symbols are illegal there. They do have the option to product a version of the game that is devoid of Nazi symbols in Germany of course, but that's up to them whether it is worth the bother or not. When this game came out originally if I'm not mistaken there was a German version that did not have Nazi symbols in it. I know people in Germany who obtained the authentic game outside of Germany just to be able to play it because it was not available there.

Saying that it is a lie is totally ignoring the reality that German law prohibits video games from displaying Nazi symbols however and making a false premise that the publisher is purposefully doing something bad for the consumer or is evil somehow which is a crock of shit really. They would like nothing more than to have one copy of their game to sell globally and that includes selling it in Germany unmodified, and the only reason they are not selling it in Germany unmodified is because of German law. There is no lie.

Update: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_Castle_Wolfenstein#Development

"In the German version of the game, it avoids making direct reference to Nazi Party and the "Third Reich", in order to comply with strict laws in Germany. The player is not battling Nazis but a secret sect called the "Wolves" led by Heinrich Höller, whose name is a pun of the original character Himmler (Himmler roughly translates as "Heavener", Höller as "Heller"). The Nazi swastika is also not present, the German forces use a Wolfenstein logo which is a combination of a stylized double-headed eagle prominent in most Nazi symbolism, a "W" (standing for Wolfenstein), and the Quake III: Team Arena "QIII" logo (the game engine and network code that RTCW is based upon). The "W" eagle logo is prominently seen on the cover art for the American version (above)."

As you can see, they had to make a custom version for Germany which ended up not being too popular from everything my friends in Germany at the time told me. Nobody wanted some dumbed down sanitary version of the game, so they would buy copies out of country or pirate the real version of the game. No doubt game sales suffered in Germany as a result also. Offering this bullshit version of the game in Germany now would likely only make German customers feel worse about it.

Seriously, Germans who get pissed about games being banned in Germany need to go out and vote, not shoot the game companies or distributors who are merely complying with German law. Do German gamers expect game companies to violate German law on purpose and say "fuck your laws" then get sued and have to pay big fines or something negating any profit they make there? That makes no sense. Go vote and have your laws changed. Apparently German symbolism in movies is ok there because it is "art" or whatever. Go vote to have video games classified as art too, problem solved. Incidentally, I may be an outsider, but every German friend I have who lives in Germany (and I do have many) all agree with my statements also, of which has come up in conversations with them for about for about 15 years now. I can only assume that the majority of gamers there feel upset about this issue and would like to see it changed too. Shooting the game companies/distributors accomplishes absolutely 2 things. Jack, and shit - and Jack left town.

I'm just saying.
Post edited October 01, 2015 by skeletonbow
My thoughts on the matter:

*I'm thrilled to see these games on GOG in any form! They're all true classics. I'll inevitably get all of them at some point.
*The pricing on these games is pretty steep. But it seems to be about expected from Bethesda at this point with these games, so what can you do?

As for the Germany situation, I have two questions:

1) It seems like there's a lot of people from Germany chiming in on the matter. Could anyone make a good guess as to what percentage of GOG users are from Germany? I want to see just how much weight the "remaining 190+ countries" has on the site vs. Germany on this site.
2) What is the real reason for GOG.com not selling Quake II and III to Germans? As stated by others, other games on the Germany Index are available for sale on that storefront, so claiming that either GOG or Bethesda is bowing down to laws is inaccurate. It seems to me that the actual reason is that Bethesda just doesn't want to sell them in Germany period, either to be on the safe side or because they're lazy or something.
Post edited October 01, 2015 by RichterSnipes