It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

People have the power!

Crowdfunding is a controversial topic for some but a real godsend for others. What's indisputable, though, is that through the years Kickstarter has become an incubator for tons of cool game concepts, many of which gathered enough support to become a reality.

Over 10,000 of them in fact!

That's right, the Kickstarter-funded game projects (concerning video games and beyond) have recently reached this rather bewildering number as you can read <span class="bold">in their celebratory post</span>.
An impressive milestone and an excellent opportunity to look at some of the standout titles to come out of Kickstarter, both past and upcoming. See if you can spot any of your favorites:

-<span class="bold">Broken Age</span>: Tim Schafer's return to the point & clicks wasn't all smooth sailing, as illustrated in the <span class="bold">Double Fine Adventure</span> documentary. Still, this was the project that solidified Kickstarter as a perfectly viable platform for video game funding.
If you're quick you can get Broken Age now 80% off!

-<span class="bold">FTL</span> / <span class="bold">Darkest Dungeon</span> / <span class="bold">Hyper Light Drifter</span>: They all asked for humble sums of money but got heaps in return. Another thing they have in common? The released products were even greater successes, far exceeding everybody's expectations!
FTL is 75% off right now!

-<span class="bold">Shovel Knight</span>: Its funding campaign met with significant success but it still pales in comparison to the massive amounts of adoration it's received since.

-<span class="bold">Sunless Sea</span>: A modest crowdfunding campaign led to a beloved cult hit and an upcoming <span class="bold">sequel</span>, also funded through Kickstarter.
Get it now 67% off!

-<span class="bold">Pillars of Eternity</span> / <span class="bold">Divinity: Original Sin</span> / <span class="bold">Wasteland 2</span> / <span class="bold">Shadowrun Returns</span> / <span class="bold">Torment: Tides of Numenera</span>: After gathering millions of dollars in funding, these games heralded the glorious resurgence of isometric RPGs and we love them for it.

-<span class="bold">The Banner Saga</span>: The stunning art and the team's pedigree made this an easy Kickstarter success. The developers regretted not coming back to Kickstarter for the <span class="bold">second chapter</span> but rectified this mistake with The Banner Saga 3 which is going to conclude their turn-based epic.

-<span class="bold">Obduction</span>: Bringing the guys who made Myst out of semi-retirement is cause enough for celebration. This excellent puzzle adventure is just an added bonus.

-<span class="bold">STASIS</span>: Mark Morgan, the composer for classics like Fallout and Planescape: Torment, was so intrigued by this campaign that he asked to be a part of it. Same as 4000+ other people.

Kickstarter was also the spawning ground for some more recent and upcoming gems, like:

-<span class="bold">Rain World</span>: Unique, beautiful, and unforgiving. Just like its beasties.
-<span class="bold">Night in the Woods</span>: Superbly written, impeccably scored, critically praised. Gregg rules, ok?
-<span class="bold">Thimbleweed Park</span>: Less than a week after its release, it already has fans raving about its unmistakably retro charms. And if Monkey Island's legacy is anything to go by, this is just the beginning.
-<span class="bold">Pinstripe</span>: One man's mind-bending journey through hell, as conceived and executed by one man. And 3,780 backers.
-<span class="bold">Yooka-Laylee</span>: The charming return of the two-creature-team-up 3D platformers. Just look at all the colors!

So what's your relationship with Kickstarter? Are you a frequent backer? Which crowdfunded games have you enjoyed the most?
Post edited April 04, 2017 by maladr0Id
nightcraw1er.488:
RadonGOG: It´s of course hard to rate which games have broken some significant promises. In comparision, it´s very easy to see how many actually got released... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg/htmlview?usp=sheets_home&amp;sle=true#
...on that basis, one can create their own judgements. In my eyes, the bill is quite nice for crowdfunding...
Surprisingly high delivery rate, I actually expected it to be lower. Also some great titles on that list like Grim Dawn or Shovelknight. Would be nice to know if any of those had any other source of finance , but I guess that would be tedious to find out.
low rated
Playing Hyper Light Drifter at the moment, it is awesome, perfect for me since I hardly care about stories in games and it only really feeds picture fragments to you sometimes to show you the horrific things that have happened in this world. Gameplay is really fun, lots to explore and many secrets to find, hard bosses and interesting enemies.

The only other one I've played is FTL which is fantastic too.

I've never backed anything on kickstarter and I missed out on helping to fund Shenmue last year unfortunately cause I was a bit broke but I'll get it when it releases. Personally I prefer supporting In Dev or Early Access, the ones I've supported have turned out pretty good including Long Dark, Dirt, Starpoint Gemini 2 and The Solus Project.
I only buy games after they've been released and reviewed.
SpecShadow: Good opportunity for PoE -75% :]
You mean it would be a good opportunity to have a promo (not a good opportunity to buy it), right? It's at full price.
Backed two gaming projects till now. One failed and one succeded.

The failed one was Hegemony III: Clash of the Ancients. Still the devs managed to self-fund the game without kickstarter but saddly since gog declined the release of their games here we probably never will see a real drm-free version of this epic grand strategy rts hybrid.

The second Kickstarter I heavily backed was AI War 2 from Arcen which is in alpha version now in which I'm participating. Can't wait for the final version. Hopefully gog will allow its release here, especially since AI War 1 is already here.

That's about me and Kickstarter.
Backed some projects.
I think i at least backed CRYAMORE and Dreamfall chapters
, migth have backed more.
Need to check my kickstarter i guess.
Also, CRYAMORE is extremly delayed and the devs arent great at comunicating things.
Migth ask for a refund if stuff doesnt move in 2 months or something.

Edit :
I think kickstarter is great for devs to pitch projeccts or concepts that havent been used much and just not another cod clone.
I just wish the donation sites implement a little more protection of the people that pledgde.
Post edited April 04, 2017 by Lodium
Let me just mention that out of 100 backed games in about 2012, 30 have actually released *something* (the others are largely "on hold indefinitely" so they don't violate any rules and can keep the money. Of the actually released ones, I enjoyed about 5. A lot of them did break multiple promises.
People like e.g. the Stainless studio (Carmageddon Reincarnation) have ruined KS and KS itself does nothing to enforce anything. That's why you rarely see any game projects in the top 10 on kicktraq
There are really only three studios left I would back again without any second thoughts, and these are: Killmonday Games (Fran Bow, watch out for Different Galaxy in a few months), and King Art Studios (Battle Worlds Kronos, Book Of Unwritten Tales 2, Dwarves), Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun series,..)
Post edited April 05, 2017 by AlienMind
GOG supporting gifs on their announcements? A clue perhaps! Let's see, what's GIF spelled backwards? FIG. Alright, now for some rigorous logical deduction: Freddi fIsh 2 (Gopyright 1996)

We're getting close...
Post edited April 05, 2017 by Gengar78
I've backed 47 successfully funded KS games. Assuming Sacred Fire reaches it's goal that will be #48. (I've also backed one game on Indiegogo).

Out of those backed so far about 27 of them have released, with a few others in beta / close to release. There's only about 3 or 4 where it looks like no game will ever be released (only one which has been completely abandoned by the creator). in hindsight there were several I shouldn't have backed and also a few KS that I missed and wished I had backed where the game has since been released.

I will continue to back interesting looking game projects because I love supporting indie games.. But I will generally only pledge just enough to get a digital copy and I'm certainly pickier about what I back then I was years ago.

A few of my favorite games of all time were crowdfunded: Shadowrun (especially Dragonfall), Dead State, Expeditions: Conquistador, Legends of Eisenwald, etc.

So all in all I think crowdfunding has been a very positive thing for gaming, but it's a shame that some incompetent / dishonest developers have made a lot of gamers think kickstarter is synonymous with scam.
Post edited April 05, 2017 by daveyd
No mention of Broken Sword 5 or Dreamfall Chapters? I backed those actually!

and armikrogg.... but we shan't speak about it.
I've Kickstarted MASSIVE CHALICE and Darkwood, and that's all the risk I'm willing to take.

There may be 10 thousand funded projects, but do they mention the absolute shit house ones within? One fine example would be Nekro.
kassj0peja: I really want Shenmue III to be released on GOG.
Same.

When is it going to be released anyway? This year?
You left out a lot of games.

I'm a frequent backer (more than 100 project in many years, most of them games) and I saw a lot of successful campaign that ended in good and bad ways. Most of the campaigns that ended badly were due to some shortcoming of the authors, some publisher that came on board, shady behavior and broken promises. I cannot say if the scale is more toward the good or the bad, but the trust is clearly compromised. Still I find it the best ways to produces something that won't exist otherwise.
I have backed close to a100 games on KS, but since many fail to deliver, I am wary of backing anything else there.
If I do so, I usually choose the lowest tier.
And yes, KS needs to impose a maximum limit on the delay period before a project is considered to have failed to deliver the promised product.
I've backed a handful of KS projects and none of them have outright failed. But most of them were significantly late with excuses of varying quality. I can grant some leeway to first-timers who blunder through building a business, but my patience for established groups who have a few completed KS under their belts has worn thin.

The last project that caught my eye had me thinking long and hard before deciding to simply wait for its commercial release.