It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

People have the power!

Crowdfunding is a controversial topic for some but a real godsend for others. What's indisputable, though, is that through the years Kickstarter has become an incubator for tons of cool game concepts, many of which gathered enough support to become a reality.

Over 10,000 of them in fact!

That's right, the Kickstarter-funded game projects (concerning video games and beyond) have recently reached this rather bewildering number as you can read <span class="bold">in their celebratory post</span>.
An impressive milestone and an excellent opportunity to look at some of the standout titles to come out of Kickstarter, both past and upcoming. See if you can spot any of your favorites:

-<span class="bold">Broken Age</span>: Tim Schafer's return to the point & clicks wasn't all smooth sailing, as illustrated in the <span class="bold">Double Fine Adventure</span> documentary. Still, this was the project that solidified Kickstarter as a perfectly viable platform for video game funding.
If you're quick you can get Broken Age now 80% off!

-<span class="bold">FTL</span> / <span class="bold">Darkest Dungeon</span> / <span class="bold">Hyper Light Drifter</span>: They all asked for humble sums of money but got heaps in return. Another thing they have in common? The released products were even greater successes, far exceeding everybody's expectations!
FTL is 75% off right now!

-<span class="bold">Shovel Knight</span>: Its funding campaign met with significant success but it still pales in comparison to the massive amounts of adoration it's received since.

-<span class="bold">Sunless Sea</span>: A modest crowdfunding campaign led to a beloved cult hit and an upcoming <span class="bold">sequel</span>, also funded through Kickstarter.
Get it now 67% off!

-<span class="bold">Pillars of Eternity</span> / <span class="bold">Divinity: Original Sin</span> / <span class="bold">Wasteland 2</span> / <span class="bold">Shadowrun Returns</span> / <span class="bold">Torment: Tides of Numenera</span>: After gathering millions of dollars in funding, these games heralded the glorious resurgence of isometric RPGs and we love them for it.

-<span class="bold">The Banner Saga</span>: The stunning art and the team's pedigree made this an easy Kickstarter success. The developers regretted not coming back to Kickstarter for the <span class="bold">second chapter</span> but rectified this mistake with The Banner Saga 3 which is going to conclude their turn-based epic.

-<span class="bold">Obduction</span>: Bringing the guys who made Myst out of semi-retirement is cause enough for celebration. This excellent puzzle adventure is just an added bonus.

-<span class="bold">STASIS</span>: Mark Morgan, the composer for classics like Fallout and Planescape: Torment, was so intrigued by this campaign that he asked to be a part of it. Same as 4000+ other people.

Kickstarter was also the spawning ground for some more recent and upcoming gems, like:

-<span class="bold">Rain World</span>: Unique, beautiful, and unforgiving. Just like its beasties.
-<span class="bold">Night in the Woods</span>: Superbly written, impeccably scored, critically praised. Gregg rules, ok?
-<span class="bold">Thimbleweed Park</span>: Less than a week after its release, it already has fans raving about its unmistakably retro charms. And if Monkey Island's legacy is anything to go by, this is just the beginning.
-<span class="bold">Pinstripe</span>: One man's mind-bending journey through hell, as conceived and executed by one man. And 3,780 backers.
-<span class="bold">Yooka-Laylee</span>: The charming return of the two-creature-team-up 3D platformers. Just look at all the colors!

So what's your relationship with Kickstarter? Are you a frequent backer? Which crowdfunded games have you enjoyed the most?
Post edited April 04, 2017 by maladr0Id
GOG.com: .
So what's your relationship with Kickstarter? Are you a frequent backer? Which crowdfunded games have you enjoyed the most?
I am very thankful. While it sure had some disappointments it made some great games possible which otherwise would have not.

On the top of my head I have Dex, Shadowrun, Torment, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 in my library. Not all of them backed, but as they are none of them possible in the devs slav... ehh working for a publisher model.
I've never funded anything, but I've bought a TON of these games (I don't really think about them as being Kickstarter games one way or the other). Didn't realize so many big name, quality games had gotten funding through it!
RadonGOG: I know there are many opponents of crowdfunding around in all the gaming communities, but just looking at the glorious list up here simply creates one question: Why?

You are focussing to much on the fails and too less on all the wins.
I have no real issue with it, just another form of gambling. What I would be interested in seeing is some sort of metrics on wins/fails as whilst the list is fairly good I am sure there are far more fails/disasters broken promises than there are successes, which of course is part and parcel of it. I have seen lots of things on there which is of interest of course but there is always that nagging sense of foreboding.
Not to say that non-kickstarter products are any less of a gamble (was NMS a kickstarter?)
The only game I funded on kickstarter was DRIFTSTAGE and was said it was going to release 2016 December, But now its silent and the dev is making some other game with jets and shit.....

I am happy these games came to be from kickstarter but I feel this trend will end at a point due to stuff like this and we wont be able to see fun games like this come anymore :/

BTW that new game from the dudes who made shadow run or something with mecha robots is coming soonish :D that I am stoked for!
low rated
RadonGOG: I know there are many opponents of crowdfunding around in all the gaming communities, but just looking at the glorious list up here simply creates one question: Why?

You are focussing to much on the fails and too less on all the wins.
nightcraw1er.488: I have no real issue with it, just another form of gambling. What I would be interested in seeing is some sort of metrics on wins/fails as whilst the list is fairly good I am sure there are far more fails/disasters broken promises than there are successes, which of course is part and parcel of it. I have seen lots of things on there which is of interest of course but there is always that nagging sense of foreboding.
Not to say that non-kickstarter products are any less of a gamble (was NMS a kickstarter?)
It´s of course hard to rate which games have broken some significant promises. In comparision, it´s very easy to see how many actually got released... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg/htmlview?usp=sheets_home&amp;sle=true#
...on that basis, one can create their own judgements. In my eyes, the bill is quite nice for crowdfunding...
I'm a fairly frequent backer on Kickstarter though I'm getting out of the habit lately... too many failures, and far too many 'we're only a year and however many months late, we'll get there'.

Out of the ones I personally backed, I enjoyed Convoy quite a bit and am enjoying Thimbleweed Park as I work through it now. Counting games that I didn't back but were on Kickstarter, FTL and Pillars of Eternity were good fun.
Kickstarter/Indiegogo/etc would be fine if both the backers and project creators understood the meaning of a donation instead of whoring out parts of the game to the lowest bidder and/or chopping up the game's basic features as stretch goals.

Until then, kickstarter games stay on the blacklist alongside denuvo and "we don't support mouse and keyboard for pc games xdddddd".

What, you expect me to pay you to look at some dipshit's world-breaking shoutout with a side of "funny" references?
Post edited April 04, 2017 by Bonsewswesa
UnrealQuakie: BTW that new game from the dudes who made shadow run or something with mecha robots is coming soonish :D that I am stoked for!
That would be Battletech - I pledged on that at first, then pulled out because at the time they couldn't even answer questions like 'will this be individual turn based, squad turn based or simultaneous turn based'. I'll be keeping an eye on it to see what people think after it's released.
nightcraw1er.488: I have no real issue with it, just another form of gambling. What I would be interested in seeing is some sort of metrics on wins/fails as whilst the list is fairly good I am sure there are far more fails/disasters broken promises than there are successes, which of course is part and parcel of it. I have seen lots of things on there which is of interest of course but there is always that nagging sense of foreboding.
RadonGOG: It´s of course hard to rate which games have broken some significant promises. In comparision, it´s very easy to see how many actually got released... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg/htmlview?usp=sheets_home&amp;sle=true#
...on that basis, one can create their own judgements. In my eyes, the bill is quite nice for crowdfunding...
Interesting, will have a look through.
ive backed a few games
first was Mighty No.9
unlike the usual opinion, i found it to be a great game. very high difficulty (its a megaman game afterall) yet it was a great experience.

second was Shantae Half-Genie
outstanding game, i can't wait to have the rest of it

lastly, i backed Hearth Forth Alicia
although not yet released, so far, it feels like one of the most wonderful experience i'll ever play
Post edited April 04, 2017 by hergman
I really want Shenmue III to be released on GOG.
No mention of Grim Dawn? :S
Wolf3: I've never funded anything, but I've bought a TON of these games (I don't really think about them as being Kickstarter games one way or the other). Didn't realize so many big name, quality games had gotten funding through it!
I only ‘invested’ in one crowdfunding campaign so far. It can be worthwhile to help fund a game if you can get a copy for cheap. I think I paid less than €15 for a GOG.com copy of Yooka-Laylee (probably closer to €10), whereas it will now be sold for €40 on release. If the developers are experienced, it can be a relatively safe investment that will pay off.
low rated
Game makes $1,538,42 on Kickstarter, the second most funded adventure game Kickstarter.

Gets day one GOG release.

GOG advertises the heck out of it, hires two streamers to play the predecessors.

Forgets about it when they celebrate Kickstarter games.

Oooookay?
So what's your relationship with Kickstarter?
I backed Broken Age, The Banner Saga, Underworld Ascendant, Bloodstained, and The Bards Tale 4, but my impression was soured after the Banner Saga devs decided to language-lawyer their promises for stretch backers in the lead-up to TBS2's release and Kickstarter was deafeningly silent when I asked them to rule on that behaviour.

I haven't backed a project since and all of the Kickstarted games since then, I only learned of when they showed up on GOG or in a Humble Bundle.

(And I'm OK with that distance for much the same reason as mrkgnao... I've already got plenty of games yet to be played... though I do still collect 'em when they drop to $5 or less.)
Post edited April 04, 2017 by ssokolow