It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I installed the fix from Github linked above
Then I set the compatibility of Gangsters.exe to WinXP service pack 3

Now the Game runs fine.
jtnslange: It works on Win11 for me. runs like a charm. Just FYL I have the CD version of the game and am running the 1.3 patch

Trevor L.
Do you still have a copy of patch 1.3? I can only seem to track down 1.4 on the web, and would love 1.3 for my CD.
jtnslange: It works on Win11 for me. runs like a charm. Just FYL I have the CD version of the game and am running the 1.3 patch

Trevor L.
falcon004: Do you still have a copy of patch 1.3? I can only seem to track down 1.4 on the web, and would love 1.3 for my CD.
Sure do Email me and I can send it to you
jtnlange@hotmail.com
Please do not turn down antivirus and copy some unknown .dll files on your computer. That is very unsafe.

For those that want to play an old game on their funky new computer... I would advise:
Install Windows XP in VirtualBox. Install the game on that virtual OS, install DirectX drivers and play. (and turn off internet connection in VirtualBox OS, that way even if you do use some shady dlls, they won't run on your computer but in this virtual environment and they won't be able to connect to the internet if that is their purpose).

I found WinXP on "the internet archive", downloaded VDI image of WinXP and import it into VirtualBox (plenty of help on the internet to help you with that). Then I installed DirectX9.0 (newer won't work on winxp), and all seems fine apart from some graphical and sound isues. But you have to start Gangsters.exe in the game directory, the shortcut to GOGLouncher that installer makes throws an error.

That way you can also play some other old games (Shadow watch works like a charm, for example). All old games on one virtual machine, and it even works in Linux. The best thing is, VirtualBox can be set to "scaled" and you can stretch the whole thing over your 4K TV if you want.
Does anybody still play this game ? if i download it with the gog launcher it crashes , if i download it external , it keeps asking for files that are supposedly missing ... i would love to play it again ....
Streetrocker28: Does anybody still play this game ? if i download it with the gog launcher it crashes , if i download it external , it keeps asking for files that are supposedly missing ... i would love to play it again ....
Many people still play, but this doesn't sound familiar. Can you provide more information on exactly how it crashes, what it says?
Giuseppe87: On Windows 10 I was able to get this game working by following the steps from this link:

https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/wiki/Gangsters-Organized-Crime

Basically what you need to do is:
- download this file:
https://github.com/elishacloud/wiki-attachments/raw/master/dxwrapper/Games/Gangsters%20Organized%20Crime/gangsters-fix.zip
- extract its contents (3 files) to the folder where the game is installed
- if you're using Nvidia G-Sync {a display with variable refresh rate that uses G-Sync) you need to disable this feature for this game from the Nvidia Control Panel. You can do this from Manage 3D Settings and set "Monitor Technology" to "Fixed Refresh".
- if the game still doesn't run, you can try to adjust the Windows compatibilty settings, but I didn't need to do this.

I was able to get the game running in a few minutes with the above steps and it seems to work fine.

Of course this doesn't excuse the fact this game doesn't run out of the box on recent Windows versions. Though, to be fair, the store page states quite clearly Works on: Windows (XP, Vista, 7) so if you run a newer Windows version and you just bought the game, you're doing it at your own risk.
thank you very much sir. works instantly like a charm.
this worked first time for me! thanks!
only issue i have is that once you actually start a new game, if i alt+tab out of the game to say try and read the strategy guide, my mouse does not respond at all, my mouse only works within the game until i quit the game, to the main menu then i can alt+tab and use my mouse in windows too... did you have the same issue?
I have that problem that game cannot be launch in window mode, no matter what I use, dxwnd even surrenders, any help?
RoboticFreeze: I have that problem that game cannot be launch in window mode, no matter what I use, dxwnd even surrenders, any help?
there is a software called, "Borderless Gaming" I think it costs a dollar now. It works for me.
I just bought the game and wanted to try it, then landed here. I'm happy someone is making an effort to keep games like this one alive, but I really feel this should be on GOG and/or the publisher: If I'm buying the game here then I should reasonably expect it to run, without having to use some patch or DLL whose publisher I may or may not want to trust, or having to spend hours prepping a VM. Since this thread is already years old it feels like this will have to be a refund, sadly.
Post edited July 06, 2024 by goldbek0815