It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Just spent the better part of 7 hours researching the latest on Gangsters Organized Crime in 2022. I will lay it out for others here so you don't have to go through the trouble.

How to get Gangsters Organized Crime running in 2022 (Windows 10 and possibly 11):

IMPORTANT: Do NOT install any other windows 10 fixes, this is for a fresh install. If the first fast method doesn't work, use the comprehensive guide below it.

Fastest method for more non-technical people:
1. Install latest GOG Gangsters Organized Crime game, as of 5-13-2022 this is setup_gangsters_2.0.0.15.exe (v1.4)
a. IMPORTANT: Make sure install directory is: C:\GOG Games\Gangsters

2. Download DxWnd build v2_05_82_src.rar at https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/files/Sources/
a. I tested this with v2_05_82_src.rar because the latest ones weren't working for me.

3. Extract v2_05_82_src.rar anywhere (you may need winrar to extract)
4. Download my dxwnd.ini file here:
5. Place my dxwnd.ini file in your extracted DxWnd folder: v2_05_82_src (or whatever you named it to)
6. In v2_05_82_src folder, Right-Click dxwnd.exe and run as administrator
7. If you installed in C:\GOG Games\Gangsters, you should see a Gangsters game icon within DxWnd, Double-click it to run!

(Optional) - More comprehensive DxWnd guide with screenshots:
1. Download attachment in this thread or from my Dropbox or view online via google docs (see link at bottom of post)
2. Open and follow guide: DXWnd Gangsters Organized Crime Instructions and Settings.docx

(Optional) - How to Mod (includes extracted files and a mod by MalusD):
1. Download attachment in this thread or from my Dropbox or view online via google docs (see link at bottom of post)
2. Open and follow guide: How to mod Gangsters Organized Crime.docx

(Optional) - How to play Multiplayer (from a youtube video source, untested):
2. Open and follow guide: How to play multiplayer in Gangsters Organized Crime.docx
3. Original source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtyCLyTDEsc
4. Copy of MP Fix from above step (not mine), use at own risk here

NOTE: For multiplayer, you will have to know how to forward ports via your router. Google "How to forward router ports" with your router model. Most online guides for different models will have similar interfaces.

All .docx guides can also be viewed online via google docs here

Credits for original DxDwnd guide

Last notes: Those that haven't given the newer game Empire of Sin a try and are experienced modders. The game falls short on many levels but the fundamentals are there and most of the games gameplay source code can be modded (devs provided numerous tutorials and online guides). if you were looking to create a close spiritual successor in a modern engine without having to build an entirely new game.
Post edited May 14, 2022 by Daimyo.615
Reserving this space for updates.

Let me know if you're having issues after reading through the comprehensive guide before asking question. Please try and help each other.
Just wanted to thank you for this guide. The main menu graphics are wonky, but everything else seems to be displaying fine.
Daimyo.615: Reserving this space for updates.

Let me know if you're having issues after reading through the comprehensive guide before asking question. Please try and help each other.
I am having an issue where the mouse is frozen once I set up the game (in game) the city graphic loads, and the the screen loads to issue orders for the week. If I alt tab I can see the mouse cursor but it wont move. If I switch to desktop etc the mouse works. I have seen other people report this issue on youtube video guides to DxWnd settings, but all the guides I am seeing use the same "Mouse" Settings and my experimentation on different mouse options isn't solving this... Any help appreciated
You're missing steps. Make sure u have your windows firewall turned off and real time protection off. Join our Facebook Gangsters Orgainzed Crime

And DXWND has been set up aready pre set on my facebook page also. All u have to do is point to the exe. If u havr the 3 dll files meantion on the page. It WiLL NOT WORK.
Post edited August 05, 2022 by VitoManteo
This also works at least it fixes the buttons being blank
https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/wiki/Gangsters-Organized-Crime
Daimyo.615: Just spent the better part of 7 hours researching the latest on Gangsters Organized Crime in 2022. I will lay it out for others here so you don't have to go through the trouble.

How to get Gangsters Organized Crime running in 2022 (Windows 10 and possibly 11):

IMPORTANT: Do NOT install any other windows 10 fixes, this is for a fresh install. If the first fast method doesn't work, use the comprehensive guide below it.

Fastest method for more non-technical people:
1. Install latest GOG Gangsters Organized Crime game, as of 5-13-2022 this is setup_gangsters_2.0.0.15.exe (v1.4)
a. IMPORTANT: Make sure install directory is: C:\GOG Games\Gangsters

2. Download DxWnd build v2_05_82_src.rar at https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/files/Sources/
a. I tested this with v2_05_82_src.rar because the latest ones weren't working for me.

3. Extract v2_05_82_src.rar anywhere (you may need winrar to extract)
4. Download my dxwnd.ini file here:
5. Place my dxwnd.ini file in your extracted DxWnd folder: v2_05_82_src (or whatever you named it to)
6. In v2_05_82_src folder, Right-Click dxwnd.exe and run as administrator
7. If you installed in C:\GOG Games\Gangsters, you should see a Gangsters game icon within DxWnd, Double-click it to run!

(Optional) - More comprehensive DxWnd guide with screenshots:
2. Open and follow guide: DXWnd Gangsters Organized Crime Instructions and Settings.docx

(Optional) - How to Mod (includes extracted files and a mod by MalusD):
2. Open and follow guide: How to mod Gangsters Organized Crime.docx

(Optional) - How to play Multiplayer (from a youtube video source, untested):
2. Open and follow guide: How to play multiplayer in Gangsters Organized Crime.docx
3. Original source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtyCLyTDEsc
4. Copy of MP Fix from above step (not mine), use at own risk here

NOTE: For multiplayer, you will have to know how to forward ports via your router. Google "How to forward router ports" with your router model. Most online guides for different models will have similar interfaces.

All .docx guides can also be viewed online via google docs here

Credits for original DxDwnd guide

Last notes: Those that haven't given the newer game Empire of Sin a try and are experienced modders. The game falls short on many levels but the fundamentals are there and most of the games gameplay source code can be modded (devs provided numerous tutorials and online guides). if you were looking to create a close spiritual successor in a modern engine without having to build an entirely new game.
DXWnd doesn't work for me, I tried multiple ways including this step by step, what happens is that I click the icon within DXWnd, it does nothing like it crashes before it starts, when I click the play button in GOG as long as dxwnd is open, it says Error: Program Crashed, if I play it normally without DXWnd, it works but you get the issues with alt tabbing then, lol so it only doesn't work in dxwnd, any ideas?

EDIT: I have the Windows 10 patch on to get the blank menus back and that's what was wrong, I deleted that and it works now :D
Post edited November 28, 2022 by SpikerzZ
hi,

anyone kmows why the game still opens in full screen even with DxWnd?
Hello,

I followed your instructions here and it partially worked. Dxwnd opens the game in a window, and got the starting menu to show text, and I could start a new game with whatever options. But when the game loads up, the cursor is missing and I can't click or do anything (however the keyboard works) and if I alt-tab to another window, the mouse cursor is visible but stuck in the center of screen (doesn't respond to movement). I end up having to Ctrl-Alt-Del and log out to get back control of the mouse.

I tried toggling different cursor options in Dxwnd, but nothing has fixed it yet. So close to working! Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hey everyone! Was having the same mouse issues as some of the people above. Tinkering with "Mouse" tab in DxWnd did nothing, however, 2 settings in "Input" turned it on for me in-game.
Try ticking "Hook input" and "Emulate mouse relative movement" on the Input tab.

I have no idea how these things actually work and what they do - I found this combo just by trial and error, so can't elaborate on why it started working and whether it'll work for you.
I managed to get the game playing well but there's a weird thing happening where on Week 4 an enemy boss wants to make peace and then he raids and bombs all my territory and assassinates me. It's impossible to defend against, and if you look at the power level graphs, his power level jumps crazy high all of a sudden in that week.

Is this some copy protection stuff? I remember there was an issue with pirated versions having you automatically arrested or something after the first few rounds but maybe this is it? I don't know.
kustridaren: This also works at least it fixes the buttons being blank
It fixed the buttons being blank, but now when exiting the game I encountered a type of freeze where I can move my cursor but nothing on my desktop/any open windows are clickable. The only way I found to get out of the freeze is to do CTRL+ALT+DEL then click Restart/Shut Down. Even if you click on Task Manager, Task Manager will not open.

Any ideas/anyone else experience this?

Edit:
So tinkering around I realized I hadn't tried setting gangsters.exe compatibility settings to Windows XP (Service Pack 3). That seems to have resolved the above issue for me. Hopefully it could help someone else...it seems this game is really a bear to get working.
Post edited February 19, 2023 by rjbuffchix
On Windows 10 I was able to get this game working by following the steps from this link:

Basically what you need to do is:
- download this file:
https://github.com/elishacloud/wiki-attachments/raw/master/dxwrapper/Games/Gangsters%20Organized%20Crime/gangsters-fix.zip
- extract its contents (3 files) to the folder where the game is installed
- if you're using Nvidia G-Sync {a display with variable refresh rate that uses G-Sync) you need to disable this feature for this game from the Nvidia Control Panel. You can do this from Manage 3D Settings and set "Monitor Technology" to "Fixed Refresh".
- if the game still doesn't run, you can try to adjust the Windows compatibilty settings, but I didn't need to do this.

I was able to get the game running in a few minutes with the above steps and it seems to work fine.

Of course this doesn't excuse the fact this game doesn't run out of the box on recent Windows versions. Though, to be fair, the store page states quite clearly Works on: Windows (XP, Vista, 7) so if you run a newer Windows version and you just bought the game, you're doing it at your own risk.
Post edited February 19, 2023 by Giuseppe87
Hi, has anyone tested the fix in Windows 11 Home?

When i double click the exe, the cursor loads for about 10 seconds then nothing happens... However there is a gangster.exe process running in my processes, but nothing ever happens... i dont even reach any kind of loading screen.

im a bit confused though... are you saying that we should not be following the instructions in the github repo? I.E. adding those 3 files in to the game folder directory? I followed those instructions and the game still doesnt launch...

Mario
It works on Win11 for me. runs like a charm. Just FYL I have the CD version of the game and am running the 1.3 patch

Trevor L.