It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

On Nexus, a modder introduced back into the game, the Braindance intro with the strobing headgear.

I completely understand the horrible effects and pains of epilepsy. It strikes home.
-------------------------------
Why did CDPR change a game of this genre and effect for such a small number of people?

According to this site,
https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/triggers-seizures/photosensitivity-and-seizures
About 1 in 100 people have a form of epilepsy.

3% of that one percent are affected by photo sensitivity.
.03 x .01 = .0003 out of 100 people (1 out of 333,333 people)
(of that number, a vastly smaller percent that actually play a game like this)

If you know you have this medical condition, why on earth would you seek a game like this where flashing/pulsing lights are the mainstream background filler and engulf ones daily life activities?

Why make changes (Vx.04) to even further pull the game from what it could be into something else? There are multiple warnings, which there should be. There are videos a person can look up and can even use to test and see if it will affect them. Why should CDPR spend more time and resources on this when it has such a tiny impact and when so much more needs attention? (which it probably won't get)

I personally prefer the flavor of the lights and electronic illumination. That is some of what a person imagines when you think Cyberpunk. Instead, you keep getting a dwindling sense of immersion.

(Not at all meant to diminish or berate the unfortunate people who are afflicted with this disorder)
Post edited March 08, 2021 by mad_crease
mad_crease: On Nexus, a modder introduced back into the game, the Braindance intro with the strobing headgear.

I completely understand the horrible effects and pains of epilepsy. It strikes home.
Why did CDPR change a game of this genre and effect for such a small number of people?

According to this site,

If you know you have this medical condition, why on earth would you seek a game like this where flashing/pulsing lights are the mainstream background filler and engulf ones daily life activities?

Why make changes (Vx.04) to even further pull the game from what it could be into something else? There are multiple warnings, which there should be. There are videos a person can look up and can even use to test and see if it will affect them. Why should CDPR spend more time and resources on this when it has such a tiny impact and when so much more needs attention? (which it probably won't get)

I personally prefer the flavor of the lights and electronic illumination. That is some of what a person imagines when you think Cyberpunk. Instead, you keep getting a dwindling sense of immersion.

(Not at all meant to diminish or berate the unfortunate people who are afflicted with this disorder)
Most likely for legal and backlash reasons. The strobing headgear wouldn't have bothered me but I understand why they did it.
mad_crease: On Nexus, a modder introduced back into the game, the Braindance intro with the strobing headgear.

According to this site,

When your game launch is a broke buggy mess, one less PR problem is a good thing. More people can play it without having to worry about particlarly dangerous scene if you're sensitive, and now a modder has given people a choice.

Yeah I've seen the mod, and with or without the flashing it doesn't effect me one way or the other or do anything for my immersion. So to each their own.
Post edited March 11, 2021 by phogan
[deleted]
Post edited February 12, 2023 by lace_gardenia
As someone who has epilepsy it can be medically controlled so this for the most part is not an issue and as you state people with the game should be careful when playing it and generally displaying these warnings is a legal requirement for the most part.

As for the warning... they exist because if you have epilepsy and dont know about it a game like this can trigger a seizure and they are beneficial for that exact reason so that if it does happen you have an idea about what is going on and what the cause might be and how to deal with it and what to explain to the GP or Neurologist when the time comes. I remember mine was triggered by loading screens from the old Commodore 64 back in the day and this explanation was crucial with the diagnosis for me.

PS - This response is not meant to be aggressive or the like and is more a response based on my personal experience and having Epilepsy since I was young (roughly 30 odd years now) so my apologies if it comes of rude or the like mad_crease.
Post edited March 13, 2021 by flynia
flynia: As someone who has epilepsy it can be medically controlled so this for the most part is not an issue and as you state people with the game should be careful when playing it and generally displaying these warnings is a legal requirement for the most part.

As for the warning... they exist because if you have epilepsy and dont know about it a game like this can trigger a seizure and they are beneficial for that exact reason so that if it does happen you have an idea about what is going on and what the cause might be and how to deal with it and what to explain to the GP or Neurologist when the time comes. I remember mine was triggered by loading screens from the old Commodore 64 back in the day and this explanation was crucial with the diagnosis for me.

PS - This response is not meant to be aggressive or the like and is more a response based on my personal experience and having Epilepsy since I was young (roughly 30 odd years now) so my apologies if it comes of rude or the like mad_crease.
I'm glad that someone who has this affliction responded. I think all purchased media should have a warning, even if it has no risk of inducing an event. Then let the consumer decide if the risk is worth the enjoyment. I think the marketing agents are almost criminal if they don't.

It's just too bad more dwindling funds needs to go into removing more content when so so SO much more needs attention and repair. I have no idea where the future of this game is. The mods do almost nothing for the actual game play. The game has a disease, until that is cured, putting a band-aid on a superficial cut won't make the game work.
Post edited March 13, 2021 by mad_crease
Totally agreed. I have been an avid gamer for the past 30 odd years and appreciate the warnings games do put in place for them. I must confess I am an advocate for the warnings at the beginning of these games... they need to and should be included as they present a very real world application and I for one dont generally mind the 30 second wait for them to pass.

Having seen a before and an after of the brain dance session I am thankful that they did something to reduce the way it is. While it may not be perfect I for one support the developers effors to take into account a small percentage of the population who is no doubt as thankful as I am.

Fingers crossed they can fix the overall game though as I have invested like 50 odd hours and like the game despite the bugs :D
mad_crease: If you know you have this medical condition, why on earth would you seek a game like this where flashing/pulsing lights are the mainstream background filler and engulf ones daily life activities?
lace_gardenia: at release, the warnings were extremely easy to miss. they were mentioned in the EULA and nowhere else.

also, the sequence in question was using the *exact* frequency that is known to trigger an attack.
You make it sound like it was intentional. the range is 5 to 30 flashes per second. But yes, it is well within those frequencies. It's sad people have this issue where something as seemingly harmless as a game can trigger a life altering event. I feel so bad for the kids with this. The ridicule from people they hang around with that don't understand the magnitude of what's can happen on top of the already stressful life being a teen.

I like to think people can change when they become less ignorant to a previously held notion. I guess if i am unable to change when presented with further understand, why should i expect others to do it. I am not so adamant on my thoughts about this now. Giving people an option is far better then forcing something potentially harmful on them.