It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ElTerprise: Hello everyone *big tired hugs and waves*
Good afternoon, ELT!

*big energising hug*
ddickinson: Which is strange really, given that the older ones where given away for free at one point completely DRM-Free. They could sell the older ones as a set and still make a nice profit from them. Do they sell them on Origin now or are they still free there? I tended to prefer the earlier games over the later ones, back when they had a sense of realism to them. The later games (Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2) where fun games, but they started to get silly. The gameplay was still great though, so it made them good games. I also liked Renegade, it was fun running around the C&C world in a shooter game.

I was looking at it a while a go and figured that I have never really played many rogue-lite game and that one looks like fun. I will keep an eye out for it when it is next on sale.

*more big hugs*
The complete series is sold on Origin in a single package. For a pretty good price ô__ô [/tempted] I don't think the old ones are offered for free anymore.
I preferred the older ones too. Tiberian Sun was my favourite though. I really loved the atmosphere in that one. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic settings (and a sucker for Michael Biehn ♥__♥) ;-p ... I still loved the ones after that, but some of them did feel a bit too silly to me. C&C4 was not good at all though- I've got nothing positive to say about it.
I was a huge fan of Renegade. It was one of the few games I played online, and I'd play it nearly everyday with a group of people from a forum. And the singleplayer game was quite fun too, though I was sad when it ended because it felt too short.

I think FTL is the only rogue-anything I've played. And I had a lot of fun with it. The videos on the game's page do a pretty good job of showing what the game is about. If the videos look interesting, I'd say there is a decent chance the game will be interesting too.

*space hugs*
ElTerprise: Hello everyone *big tired hugs and waves*
*big hug with free batteries*
Post edited January 31, 2016 by AgentBirdnest
toxicTom: *big energizing hug*
ddickinson: Good afternoon, ELT!
*big energising hug*
AgentBirdnest: *big hug with free batteries*
Thank you *big thank you hugs*

How are you doing?
ddickinson: ...The Lore of the Land by Westwood and Simpson...
Ugh, out of print and prices ~70€ second hand... That's a little out of my reach currently. Although it really sounds interesting.
AgentBirdnest: The complete series is sold on Origin in a single package. For a pretty good price ô__ô [/tempted] I don't think the old ones are offered for free anymore.
I preferred the older ones too. Tiberian Sun was my favourite though. I really loved the atmosphere in that one. I'm a sucked for post-apocalyptic settings (and a sucker for Michael Biehn ♥__♥) ;-p ... I still loved the ones after that, but some of them did feel a bit too silly to me. C&C4 was not good at all though- I've got nothing positive to say about it.
I was a huge fan of Renegade. It was one of the few games I played online, and I'd play it nearly everyday with a group of people from a forum. And the singleplayer game was quite fun too, though I was sad when it ended because it felt too short.

I think FTL is the only rogue-anything I've played. And I had a lot of fun with it. The videos on the game's page do a pretty good job of showing what the game is about. If the videos look interesting, I'd say there is a decent chance the game will be interesting too.
I did like Tiberian Sun as well (even though it is Tiberium not Tiberian). I thought it did a good job of the post-apocalyptic setting, much better than C&C 3, which was the last one I played. Partly due to DRM, but mainly due to the games getting more and more terrible once EA took full control of them. Red Alert 2 was very silly, but the game play was still good. I never played Red Alert 3 as it looked terrible, gameplay and storyline. I didn't mind Generals, but it did not really feel like a C&C game like the older ones did. I always though it would have been cool to mix RTS C&C with Renegade. Instead of the indoor missions on the RTS, you could have the FPS part. But I know many would hate that. I liked being able to enter the iconic buildings on the games, and seeing all the familiar vehicles. But I agree, it did seem short, although I did not play the multiplayer.

I know FTL is/was on sale quiet cheap on Humble at the moment, but I figured I would wait and get it on GOG as well so I have my games all in one place.

toxicTom: Ugh, out of print and prices ~70€ second hand... That's a little out of my reach currently. Although it really sounds interesting.
I did not know that. It is a lot more recent than some of my books so I figured it would still be in print. I hate how over the last few years people have started asking for ridiculous prices for out of print books. It never used to be too bad, but then it seemed that everyone started abusing the situation and asking for silly prices, like €70.
Post edited January 31, 2016 by ddickinson
AgentBirdnest: The complete series is sold on Origin in a single package. For a pretty good price ô__ô [/tempted] I don't think the old ones are offered for free anymore.
I preferred the older ones too. Tiberian Sun was my favourite though. I really loved the atmosphere in that one. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic settings (and a sucker for Michael Biehn ♥__♥) ;-p ... I still loved the ones after that, but some of them did feel a bit too silly to me. C&C4 was not good at all though- I've got nothing positive to say about it.
So you actually played C&C4?
Hello Everybody!!

*big hugs for everybody*

Who mentioned C&C 4? *pulls forth a massive rubbery chicken-shaped morningstar*

I'm relaxing a bit, listening to Glass and his string quartets, magnificent stuff ...
ddickinson: I did not know that. It is a lot more recent than some of my books so I figured it would still be in print. I hate how over the last few years people have started asking for ridiculous prices for out of print books. It never used to be too bad, but then it seemed that everyone started abusing the situation and asking for silly prices, like €70.
I've noticed that too. I mean, it's ok for a mildly rare book in a well preserved hardcover edition. But those prices are asked for used paperbacks of, maybe not common, but at least not very rare books. Smells a bit like price-fixing...
ddickinson: I did like Tiberian Sun as well (even though it is Tiberium not Tiberian). I thought it did a good job of the post-apocalyptic setting, much better than C&C 3, which was the last one I played. Partly due to DRM, but mainly due to the games getting more and more terrible once EA took full control of them. Red Alert 2 was very silly, but the game play was still good. I never played Red Alert 3 as it looked terrible, gameplay and storyline. I didn't mind Generals, but it did not really feel like a C&C game like the older ones did. I always though it would have been cool to mix RTS C&C with Renegade. Instead of the indoor missions on the RTS, you could have the FPS part. But I know many would hate that. I liked being able to enter the iconic buildings on the games, and seeing all the familiar vehicles. But I agree, it did seem short, although I did not play the multiplayer.
I enjoyed C&C3, but thought the story was awful, and didn't care for the third faction introduced. The faction was just bizarre and didn't fit in. Otherwise, I enjoyed playing skirmishes with GDI and Nod only. Red Alert 3 is still in my backlog :-p ... and I agree about Generals. It was fun, but it wasn't really C&C.
I was always terrible at those indoor missions in the early games. I didn't like them. It would be cool to have a RTS/FPS crossover...
Vnlr: Hello Everybody!!

*big hugs for everybody*

Who mentioned C&C 4? *pulls forth a massive rubbery chicken-shaped morningstar*

I'm relaxing a bit, listening to Glass and his string quartets, magnificent stuff ...
Hello!

It was Agent and ELT. Feel free to go nuts with the morning star. :-)

toxicTom: I've noticed that too. I mean, it's ok for a mildly rare book in a well preserved hardcover edition. But those prices are asked for used paperbacks of, maybe not common, but at least not very rare books. Smells a bit like price-fixing...
I know. Often when I am looking for books online (not necessarily rare books, just books not available to me locally) I will see people asking for much more for a second hand (and often poor quality) copy that the actual store is asking for a new copy, especially on places like Amazon. I think some people must have tried it and everyone just followed. Sad really, but it seems to be a thing now, charging extortionate amounts for books just because they are out of print. I have seen it done with books just a year old. As soon as they sell out the second hand copies appear for high prices. Not all the time, of course, but quite often.

AgentBirdnest: I enjoyed C&C3, but thought the story was awful, and didn't care for the third faction introduced. The faction was just bizarre and didn't fit in. Otherwise, I enjoyed playing skirmishes with GDI and Nod only. Red Alert 3 is still in my backlog :-p ... and I agree about Generals. It was fun, but it wasn't really C&C.
I was always terrible at those indoor missions in the early games. I didn't like them. It would be cool to have a RTS/FPS crossover...
The aliens are what ruined it for me as well. The game was okay before that, not great, but okay. I replayed the original C&C (with the HD patch) and Red Alert 1 earlier last year and I still love them. They are not as hard as I remember them being when I was a kid, but still so much fun, although the AI weaknesses are more apparent to me now that I have had more experience with RTS games.
AgentBirdnest: It would be cool to have a RTS/FPS crossover...
There have been a few RTS/FPS hybrids, like Battlezone, but cross-over games like that didn't sell too well.
ElTerprise: So you actually played C&C4?
A couple hours of it, yeah. I couldn't get into it, and couldn't get used to anything. Just... ick. :-p
toxicTom: There have been a few RTS/FPS hybrids, like Battlezone, but cross-over games like that didn't sell too well.
I remember an indie one called "Iron Grip: Warlord" from a few years ago. I thought it was pretty good, and had a bit of fun with it. It was online only (I think there was a singleplayer bot mode, but it was pretty much worthless). There were never more than a handful of people online though.

I guess you could call Giants: Citizen Kabuto kind of a hybrid, since you have to build bases in some levels. Actually, I don't know what to call that game. It's just "unique" :-)
Post edited January 31, 2016 by AgentBirdnest
AgentBirdnest: A couple hours of it, yeah. I couldn't get into it, and couldn't get used to anything. Just... ick. :-p
I still refuse to play especially after Crow told me about about the origin of Kane as explained in the game....

I might give it a try but only in co-op...same with Red Alert 3 btw...because the whole game is focused on a co-op campaign.

toxicTom: There have been a few RTS/FPS hybrids, like Battlezone, but cross-over games like that didn't sell too well.
Isn't Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising a similar example ?
AgentBirdnest: I guess you could call Giants: Citizen Kabuto kind of a hybrid, since you have to build bases in some levels. Actually, I don't know what to call that game. It's just "unique" :-)
Yeah, those were the levels I couldn't beat. Every time I went to hunt for resources that $important_guy was kidnapped. One of the few games I actually rage-quit-deleted. :-)
ElTerprise: Isn't Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising a similar example ?
Never played it, so I wasn't sure. But there's also Uprising.
Post edited January 31, 2016 by toxicTom
Agent, EIT, I find you guilty of continuous mention of the C&C 4 game ... don't you know what "Damnatio Memoriae" means?

*waffle with the giant rubbery chicken-shaped morningstar* (*selling somebody a waffle = slapping somebody)

I played it for an hour or two, and gave up then ... I bought it for 2 euri during a sale luckily.

Tiberian sun is my personal favourite, but Yuri's revenge was great too ...

I do not think too much of the C&C games anymore though, my RTS interests lie elsewhere these days :)