It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Have to agree.

The writing in W3 is way more clever than going for such childish innuendos.
I didn't even remember what Yennefer said in that particular scene, but I'm glad everything's all right. :-) It would have been very odd to change dialog lines.

Is 1.10 more playable now after the hotfixes? I've had bad luck with the initial update (bugs u.s.w.) and reverted to 1.084. :-/
Post edited October 14, 2015 by vladmods
I dunno why many seem to be complaining, but there must be issues for some. My update was seamless and I find the game smoother and more fluid with 1.10. Note that it DID reset all my graphic settings, so I did have to redo the way I had it set up.
Post edited October 14, 2015 by Peetz
I must be bad then...

I can't stop fingering my keyboard.

:P
Really, anybody for whom "fingering" is an immediately sexual phrase is... silly.

I have spent many an hour fingering minors. Often in public places, and in mixed company.

See attached image.
Attachments:
Post edited October 14, 2015 by Lukaszmik
RSColonel_131st: Have to agree.

The writing in W3 is way more clever than going for such childish innuendos.
Most definitely. The game's English is generally excellent--however, every once in a blue moon there's a subtle exception to proper translation...like "fingering" in this case...;) Ah, to be a pubescent adolescent again and see sexual innuendo couched in every female utterance...! (Er, on second though...I'm kind of glad to be past all of that...;))
I'd heartily disagree that there is a problem with translation or proper word use there. It is used in a perfectly, heh, "cromulent" way (i.e. with "to delicately touch something" meaning of "to finger.")

Though perhaps it's a generational gap. The Internet being for what it is, there might be a complete shift in definition of "fingering" for generations raised on it.

Now girrofmylawn :)
Lukaszmik: It is used in a perfectly, heh, "cromulent" way
More like "embiggened".
/^^\!
Argh! Can't...not...argue!

This is why we can't have nice things. Someone puts an ounce of subtlety and ambiguity in a game's writing and you guys are all like "ew, gross."

I mean she's obviously not saying he's sexually pleasuring her toiletries, but think back to your gradebook literature classes and concepts of foreshadowing and metaphor.

-she's in her lingerie
-the context for the scene is that Geralt is trying to talk her into being sexually intimate, while she's trying to tell him to go away
-the whole sequence is Geralt's dream

This brief tidbit over the toiletries is not immature; instead, it's a subtle way of illustrating the dynamic in the scene WITHOUT being immature. It's hinting at Geralt's desire to touch Yen and Yen enforcing a boundary. Yen's not using the toiletries as a metaphor for her body, but the writer is (implicitly dandelion). The writer is aware that "fingering" has multiple meanings, even if the character Yen does not mean it as such

Consider, alternatively, the opening sequence in Romeo and Juliet, with "swords" and whatnot. There is a long history in art of using innuendo and subtle metaphor to gently communicate the context of a scene without being tasteless. I obviously didn't write the scene, but it takes more maturity to recognize the subtly in this scene than to say "ew, gross, fingering is nasty."
fjdgshdkeavd:
One cannot argue with the truthiness of your post >.>
[More misguided supposition cut].
fjdgshdkeavd: but it takes more maturity to recognize the subtly in this scene than to say "ew, gross, fingering is nasty."
On the contrary, it takes more maturity to recognise that there's more to a word, more to the language, than 'modern' sexual connotations. Fingering is a perfectly innocent word for a perfectly innocent activity. It doesn't have to be sexual, plain and simple.
Post edited October 14, 2015 by Hickory
fjdgshdkeavd: Argh! Can't...not...argue!

This is why we can't have nice things. Someone puts an ounce of subtlety and ambiguity in a game's writing and you guys are all like "ew, gross."

I mean she's obviously not saying he's sexually pleasuring her toiletries, but think back to your gradebook literature classes and concepts of foreshadowing and metaphor.

-she's in her lingerie
-the context for the scene is that Geralt is trying to talk her into being sexually intimate, while she's trying to tell him to go away
-the whole sequence is Geralt's dream

This brief tidbit over the toiletries is not immature; instead, it's a subtle way of illustrating the dynamic in the scene WITHOUT being immature. It's hinting at Geralt's desire to touch Yen and Yen enforcing a boundary. Yen's not using the toiletries as a metaphor for her body, but the writer is (implicitly dandelion). The writer is aware that "fingering" has multiple meanings, even if the character Yen does not mean it as such

Consider, alternatively, the opening sequence in Romeo and Juliet, with "swords" and whatnot. There is a long history in art of using innuendo and subtle metaphor to gently communicate the context of a scene without being tasteless. I obviously didn't write the scene, but it takes more maturity to recognize the subtly in this scene than to say "ew, gross, fingering is nasty."
I agree. The subtle comment of course can have multiple meanings and with the sexual tension in the room so palpable, Yennifer could easily maintain the tension through wordage like this. The great thing about the English language is how the same word or phrase can have many meanings. These words or phrases are often called "double-entendres".

It was to the extent you could see the phrase as sexual and that one statement muffled, it made me think that censorship might be involved. Especially giving that that was the one statement that had be "muffled" and nothing else had a problem.
Yeah, they'll totally censor a word but leave topless sex scenes in the game...

Uhm, not.