It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I've been trying many tips, all day. Tried the mg_snd.dll and mg_snd_sse.dll file exchange from version 4.08m, tried creating a new user with admin priv. and running from there. Just bought this yesterday so I have the 4.12.2 patch. Fresh install and used gog d/l program .... also checked integrity before install.

Feel my drivers are upgraded to latest versions. Few years back had Pacific Fighters and IL2 FB running on this machine. Tried to clean them out but Ubisoft files remain on C drive after this new install ... guessing they installed with the 5.13 GB IL-2 d/l. Launching from Icon in the folder called 'Launch IL-2 Sturmovik 1946' on my D drive where game is installed.

Anyone with half a brain would have given up .... good thing I love this game and have a little better than half. :)

Any new ideas?

Asus N78 mother board
Creative Sound Blaster Live Value with 2002 5:1 driver version. (only running stereo)
ATI Radeon 9550
AMD xp2800 (2.09 ghz)
Ram 1 GB
XP with Service Pak 2 Home edition
Newer Samsung monitor
airfarce: I've been trying many tips, all day. Tried the mg_snd.dll and mg_snd_sse.dll file exchange from version 4.08m, tried creating a new user with admin priv. and running from there. Just bought this yesterday so I have the 4.12.2 patch. Fresh install and used gog d/l program .... also checked integrity before install.

Feel my drivers are upgraded to latest versions. Few years back had Pacific Fighters and IL2 FB running on this machine. Tried to clean them out but Ubisoft files remain on C drive after this new install ... guessing they installed with the 5.13 GB IL-2 d/l. Launching from Icon in the folder called 'Launch IL-2 Sturmovik 1946' on my D drive where game is installed.

Anyone with half a brain would have given up .... good thing I love this game and have a little better than half. :)

Any new ideas?

Asus N78 mother board
Creative Sound Blaster Live Value with 2002 5:1 driver version. (only running stereo)
ATI Radeon 9550
AMD xp2800 (2.09 ghz)
Ram 1 GB
XP with Service Pak 2 Home edition
Newer Samsung monitor
Have you tried installing Service Pack 3 for Windows XP?
JudasIscariot: Have you tried installing Service Pack 3 for Windows XP?
Just installed it ... was trying to avoid that. Made the mistake of partitioning my drive when I first bought this PC. Over a few years the C drive proved to be too small. Service pack 3 just filled it to 90% and left me with some glitches that I'll work out. Many post on google search re 100% CPU usage after SP3 install. Have to disable Auto updates to get it to run better. Game still won't launch .... hour glass hangs for a few seconds, that's all. Was really hoping that would be the fix but ..... back to the drawing board as they say. Thanks for the tip Judas, appreciate your effort, was worth a shot.

Had to work with a MS tech out of the Philippines to get the Pack installed. Spent another 1/2 day but not a quitter .... yet. Thanks again. Any more suggestions welcome.
Post edited December 10, 2013 by airfarce
I can not give any advice, but I can confirm it works ok on my winXP SP3. I am using a socket 775 3.1 gig with two gig of ram. Nvidia 560 video card.

When I have had problems installing in the past I just reinstall windows and all is OK again.

I now use a hot swap drive and have a few bootable drives to swap. Games on one and real work on another.

If you activate on one drive you can clone it onto another and it will be activated as well.

Sorry I can not be of more help.

Regards
marklaur: I can not give any advice, but I can confirm it works ok on my winXP SP3. I am using a socket 775 3.1 gig with two gig of ram. Nvidia 560 video card.
Thanks, all info is good, especially good to know it should be possible ... much better than chasing something unattainable. I've given up ... the Forgotten Battles pack used to run on it just fine but my guess is this pc needs a reinstall of xp .... made the mistake of buying a system with xp pre-installed .... have no disc for operating system.

Be nice if a had a restore point to take it back to day 1 , with a clean registry. May be time for a new pc with win 8.1
Post edited December 15, 2013 by airfarce
Having trouble figuring what to do after supposedly downloading the files for IL-2. The screen with the file progress bars goes nowhere after finishing loading and I am using Windows 8 so that may be a problem. The files loaded to my documents so I can click on them and see (for Instance) the renders or the manual but don't have any way of launching the game. I have plenty of memory, drive space proper proc. speed etc. but does this need DosBox or something. I also tried using the suggested Direct X file. The directions are not very straight forward for this. Can anyone help.
Thanks
I have same issue as AIRFARCE...and my WIN-XP SP3 is working perfectly Someone suggested it may have something to do w AMD-K6 mb. I tried restoring 4.08m (over 4.12) and also 4.09m. WIth all three versions, I have tried NO SOUND, NO JOYSTICK, SAFE SETTING video w both OPEN G/L and Directx. NO LUCK SO FAR.

...and there is no Windows messages in the applications event log... NOTHING....

Anybody have any ideas ??? 4.07 ?? DOSBOX ???
bail_out_ben: I have same issue as AIRFARCE...and my WIN-XP SP3 is working perfectly Someone suggested it may have something to do w AMD-K6 mb. I tried restoring 4.08m (over 4.12) and also 4.09m. WIth all three versions, I have tried NO SOUND, NO JOYSTICK, SAFE SETTING video w both OPEN G/L and Directx. NO LUCK SO FAR.

...and there is no Windows messages in the applications event log... NOTHING....

Anybody have any ideas ??? 4.07 ?? DOSBOX ???
I just performed a windows refresh tonight and reinstalled 1946 to check, worked fine and I redownloaded the files tonight to check as well.
I installed it onto XP SP3 on an intel socket 775 dual core motherboard with a nvidia card. Nvidia cards are supposed to show the best water etc but AMD should be OK.

I notice that every so often windows just needs reinstalling or like in my case using Acronis to re-image the drive.

Also I do not have any antivirus or fire wall etc as the PC I have installed it on does not have web access.
Anti virus programs and some firewalls cause all sorts of problems sometimes.

I find I always have to use openGL in the settings or the game will not work.

Currently I have 1946 installed on XP 32 bit and win 7 64 bit with no problems. Both PC's are intel and nividia.

With regard to joysticks, I sometimes have problems with my X52 working properly, but that goes for other flight sims as well.

Does the joystick show up in control panel? the only other thing I can think of is, you do have the joystick plugged in before you start 1946, otherwise it may not get recognised.

For the sound issue I have read in other forums to install an old version of DirectX then the latest one. Some people think that the latest directX version does not have all the old files that older versions do.

Sorry I cannot help more. You may have to make an account at
http://www.mission4today.com/

They are very good at that forum.

Regards
airfarce: Thanks, all info is good, especially good to know it should be possible ... much better than chasing something unattainable. I've given up ... the Forgotten Battles pack used to run on it just fine but my guess is this pc needs a reinstall of xp .... made the mistake of buying a system with xp pre-installed .... have no disc for operating system.

Be nice if a had a restore point to take it back to day 1 , with a clean registry. May be time for a new pc with win 8.1
There are free and official images of WinXP available ;)
Post edited May 11, 2014 by TheMechanist
It is just a Service Pack 3 in an iso image. :)

On topic: i had a similar issue yesterday (have XP SP3). I installed game through Galaxy and game wasn't launching: no errors, absolutely nothing. And it doesn't matter whether you are running through Galaxy or directly by launching il2fb.exe (game's executable).
Got it fixed by running il2set.exe program (IL2 settings configurator), which resides in game's directory.

Probably game had no initial config file or something like that.
I installed Russian version of the game, if it matters.