It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I am using Vista 64 Ultimate
I need to install IL-2: 1946 in a directory, other than the default Program directory. The problem is that it seems that GOG doesn't give me an option of where I want to install the game.
The reason, I want to install it in another directory, is because Vista will not allow you to have full functionality of the program.
Here is the explainations:
* Important tip for Windows VISTA users: Do not install IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 to your Program Files folder. (I changed my install path to C:\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946.) VISTA puts additional protection on programs within the Program Files folder and this interferes with the game's ability to update some user preferences. Similarly, don't install utilities like IL2-MAT Manager or Demon's Uber-Quick Mission Generator to the Program Files folder either.

and
Installation into Windows XP should be pretty straightforward; just follow the procedure below. If you are using Windows VISTA, both IL2-MAT Manager and IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 must be installed outside of your Program Files folder to work ... I learned this the hard way.
Last night I was finally able to get IL2-MAT Manager to work in Windows VISTA. Unfortunately, to make this happen I had to completely uninstall IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 and then reinstall it outside of VISTA's "Program Files" folder. After that, I reinstalled IL2-MAT Manager outside of the Program Files folder as well. Doing this now allows both programs to update their various configuration files when changes are made. It seems that VISTA is naturally overprotective of anything located in the Program Files folder.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2163129/STICKY_Newcomer_s_Guide_Updati.html#Post2163129
I'm disappointed that a simple option to change the game installation directory is not available to me as a consumer.
Is there anything I can do?
This question / problem has been solved by Faithfulimage
When the Install Screen comes up Choose "Options" (The little Grey button tot he left at the bottom) here you can change Directories where programs can be installed to.
Post edited June 29, 2009 by Tirpitz
Faithful: When the Install Screen comes up Choose "Options" (The little Grey button tot he left at the bottom) here you can change Directories where programs can be installed to.

That did it! I missed the button it blended in with the background.
Thank you.
No problems it is not overly obvious
timburton: I am using Vista 64 Ultimate
I need to install IL-2: 1946 in a directory, other than the default Program directory. The problem is that it seems that GOG doesn't give me an option of where I want to install the game.
The reason, I want to install it in another directory, is because Vista will not allow you to have full functionality of the program.
Here is the explainations:
* Important tip for Windows VISTA users: Do not install IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 to your Program Files folder. (I changed my install path to C:\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946.) VISTA puts additional protection on programs within the Program Files folder and this interferes with the game's ability to update some user preferences. Similarly, don't install utilities like IL2-MAT Manager or Demon's Uber-Quick Mission Generator to the Program Files folder either.

and
Installation into Windows XP should be pretty straightforward; just follow the procedure below. If you are using Windows VISTA, both IL2-MAT Manager and IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 must be installed outside of your Program Files folder to work ... I learned this the hard way.
Last night I was finally able to get IL2-MAT Manager to work in Windows VISTA. Unfortunately, to make this happen I had to completely uninstall IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 and then reinstall it outside of VISTA's "Program Files" folder. After that, I reinstalled IL2-MAT Manager outside of the Program Files folder as well. Doing this now allows both programs to update their various configuration files when changes are made. It seems that VISTA is naturally overprotective of anything located in the Program Files folder.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2163129/STICKY_Newcomer_s_Guide_Updati.html#Post2163129
I'm disappointed that a simple option to change the game installation directory is not available to me as a consumer.
Is there anything I can do?

One utility to have is to add the Take Ownership command to the context menu. Older games that want to write to the install directories rather then a save directory in the users profile are the problem here. You can find info a few places and here is one link to it.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
Once you install the game right click on the installation directory and select Take Ownership.
Tarkus
I have Vista, and I downloaded it, but my mouse is stuck. It's not even showing the mouse cursor itself. Please halp me!