It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
by Mark Twain
Becoming Superman, the autobiography of J. Michael Straczynski.
Babylon 5 is great!
huppumies: Becoming Superman, the autobiography of J. Michael Straczynski.
Babylon 5 is great!
Sounds interesting. I very much enjoyed his work with Spiderman
The Anachy
It's about the East India Company and it depredations in India.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/11/anarchy-relentless-rise-east-india-company-william-darymple-review
F1ach: The Anachy

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/11/anarchy-relentless-rise-east-india-company-william-darymple-review
This one sounds interesting. Recently I read Vargas Llosa's The Dream of the Celts. It narrates, in a novelized fashion, the life of the man who denounced the exploitation of natives in Congo and the Putumayo (in the Peruvian Amazonia). In the end he started seeing a paralelism between the exploitation of the natives of those regions and the situation of the Irish. It is worth reading for anyone who cares about human rights. Also about the bad effects of colonislism: it damages colonized physically and spiritually, and can devastate morally the position of the exploiters

By the way, there are scholars who claim that the first totalitarian regime was not the one that started in Germany in 1933, but the one in Congo under the authority of the king of Belgium.
huppumies: Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck.
A very fine book. It remains a classic. I got my copy in a library in Lovaine, on a rainy afternoon. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :-)
Post edited September 25, 2020 by Carradice

Carradice: This one sounds interesting. Recently I read Vargas Llosa's The Dream of the Celts. It narrates, in a novelized fashion, the life of the man who denounced the exploitation of natives in Congo and the Putumayo (in the Peruvian Amazonia). In the end he started seeing a paralelism between the exploitation of the natives of those regions and the situation of the Irish. It is worth reading for anyone who cares about human rights. Also about the bad effects of colonislism: it damages colonized physically and spiritually, and can devastate morally the position of the exploiters

By the way, there are scholars who claim that the first totalitarian regime was not the one that started in Germany in 1933, but the one in Congo under the authority of the king of Belgium.
huppumies: Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck.
Carradice: A very fine book. It remains a classic. I got my copy in a library in Lovaine, on a rainy afternoon. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :-)
Ill keep an eye out for it....I'm Irish so i'm doubly interested, thank you!
Just picked up the Drizzt bundle on Humble Bundle and planning on going back to the series. IIRC I'm on book 8 or 9.

It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it for what it is. RA Salvatore is certainly not the worst author I've read :)
Carradice: Sounds interesting. I very much enjoyed his work with Spiderman
It's good so far. Joe writes in a very matter-of-fact way about his abusive childhood and it works because the abuse says it all. It's a small miracle he emerged as a functional, let alone successful, adult from that mess.

I'll make a note of that, could be an interesting book.

Carradice: A very fine book. It remains a classic. I got my copy in a library in Lovaine, on a rainy afternoon. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :-)
Ain't read a bad Steinbeck yet. Travels was a good book, very relaxed and light. Also humanizes this literary giant by showing he's just a man. It was also interesting to read his thoughts on political discourse some 60 years ago and note how similiar it is today. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

CymTyr: Just picked up the Drizzt bundle on Humble Bundle and planning on going back to the series. IIRC I'm on book 8 or 9.

It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it for what it is. RA Salvatore is certainly not the worst author I've read :)
Salvatore was one of my favorites when I was a teenager and read a lot of fantasy. The Drizzt books lost a lot of steam later on, but I still have a copy of the Dark Elf Trilogy and intend to reread some day to see how it's aged.
CymTyr: Just picked up the Drizzt bundle on Humble Bundle and planning on going back to the series. IIRC I'm on book 8 or 9.

I bought that, but unfortunately all the files were EPUB so couldnt Kindleise them, as I need the Kindle SYNC feature as I would read a book over multiple device.

I have the actual books, but it would have been nice to make them more portable, it was a great price!
Carradice: Sounds interesting. I very much enjoyed his work with Spiderman
huppumies: It's good so far. Joe writes in a very matter-of-fact way about his abusive childhood and it works because the abuse says it all. It's a small miracle he emerged as a functional, let alone successful, adult from that mess.

huppumies: I'll make a note of that, could be an interesting book.

huppumies: Ain't read a bad Steinbeck yet. Travels was a good book, very relaxed and light. Also humanizes this literary giant by showing he's just a man. It was also interesting to read his thoughts on political discourse some 60 years ago and note how similiar it is today. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

huppumies: Salvatore was one of my favorites when I was a teenager and read a lot of fantasy. The Drizzt books lost a lot of steam later on, but I still have a copy of the Dark Elf Trilogy and intend to reread some day to see how it's aged.
The Anarchy is good, its a very easy read.
If you get a sample on Kindle, it starts with a Dramatis Personae, which is a bit dry, but you can skip that to get to the meat of the story, but...The DP section is important for context.
Post edited September 27, 2020 by F1ach
Baby Jane by Sofi Oksanen.
Reading Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie.
Having read, the quite frankly awful, Gilgamešin tappio by Risto Isomäki, I'm reading the second book of Välskärin kertomuksia by Z. Topelius. The first book was excellent and there's a surprising amount of history in the narrative, I learned a lot. Finns and swedes should consider giving these books a read. I'd also love to see these adapted in to an epic TV-series.
Clifford D. Simak (1953). Ring around the Sun.

From the author of my beloved Way Station (1963), Hugo Award.

About halfway into the book. Waiting to reach the end to fully form an opinion. The beginning of Ring feels surreal and somewhat disjointed to this reader, and only later things seem to start making sense. Curiously, it is when the fantastic enters the story that things start feeling right and true. Which coincides with one of the themes of the novel: how one can forget in adulthood about some truths learned in childhood and youth. So, the surreal feeling of the more mundane part of the story might be an effect that Simak was intending.

So yes, it is becoming better and better, hopefully it will hold.

Sometime I have to get back to City, which I stopped reading when I lost the book years ago.
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. Last read it as a teenager about 25 years ago. Great narrative flow; the book almost reads itself.
I am currently reading the memoirs of the founder of now-defunct Sierra On-Line, Ken Willaims, Not All Fairytales Have Happy Endings.