It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Horror on the Links by Seabury Quinn, the first of a multi-volume collection of his Jules de Grandin stories, about a French detective and his "Watson" solving crimes involving the supernatural.
The Obsidian Chamber by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.
Just finished Prelude to foundation. Now on Foundation by Isaac Asimov
Post edited June 30, 2020 by XzAr_79
Phantoms on the Bookshelves by Jacques Bonnet
My own furry romance fanfiction. I'm doing copy editing.
Las hijas del Capitán (The Captain's Daughters) by María Dueñas.
I've just started "Simplicius Simplicissimus" (the actual title is much more long and complicated) by Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen, published in 1668. Maybe some German GOGer knows it or even read some of it at school.
XzAr_79: Just finished Prelude to foundation. Now on Foundation by Isaac Asimov
Good for you. Although those books are better in the order they were written. But if it works for you, then great. At least you have seen a more fleshy Hari Seldon.

When he first wrote it, the Foundation trilogy was independent from his Robots series. It was later that he linked it together. So now in Prelude, the stories are intertwined. All the best if that hooks you into the Robots series and the series of novels that started with The Caves of Steel, in case you still had not.

But still, it makes sense to read Asimov in the order he wrote his books. That way you meet Dawn at its peak, instead of getting to know it first by its remnants.
ConsulCaesar: Back to sci-fi with Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson.
Is it good? The novella The Blind Geometer, that won the Nebula, is very good.
Sjuan: Historia de la vida del Buscón, llamado don Pablos by Francisco de Quevedo.
If you feel like watching it afterwards (so that nothing is spoiled), there is a movie that somehow dares to complete the story. A mature don Pablos makes the account of his life in flashbacks. But the book is better, and funnier.
cose_vecchie: Motti e facezie del Piovano Arlotto, an anonymous XV-century collection of anecdotes, witticisms, moral sayings, cautionary tales, practical jokes, and the like (including some scatological and some "spicy" ones) attributed to Arlotto Mainardi, a country priest who was apparently well-known for such things.
Interesting! Just wondering, are you fond on the Decameron?
GeraltOfRivia_PL: The Lord of the Rings, the Fellowship of the Ring.

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.
It is all one book, do not linger before proceeding.

Also, best if you read The Hobbit.

Enjoy!
Post edited July 01, 2020 by Carradice
ConsulCaesar: Back to sci-fi with Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson.
Carradice: Is it good? The novella The Blind Geometer, that won the Nebula, is very good.
It is excellent! One of the best books I've read this year and one of the best in Kim Stanley Robinson's career, possibly only surpassed by his Mars trilogy.
cose_vecchie: Motti e facezie del Piovano Arlotto, an anonymous XV-century collection of anecdotes, witticisms, moral sayings, cautionary tales, practical jokes, and the like (including some scatological and some "spicy" ones) attributed to Arlotto Mainardi, a country priest who was apparently well-known for such things.
Carradice: Interesting! Just wondering, are you fond on the Decameron?
Yes I am. Indeed, I am fond of the whole "novella" (=short story) genre, of which there are plentiful examples in Italian literature. I have already read some of them but several still remain, and it will take years...
There is an important difference though: while Decameron, with all its amusing and sometimes very funny indeed stories and characters, is truly a literary masterpiece, whose value transcends the mere enjoyment factor, this humble collection has no artistic merit of its own, and its interest lies mainly in its portrayal of customs, practices, ways of thinking of that bygone era - but it's also good for some laughs if you're easily entertained.
Also, the facezie of Piovano Arlotto tend to be much shorter, sometimes down to a clever give-and-take.

The epitaph that Arlotto himself dictated for its monument is still visible to this day:
"Questa sepoltura il Piovano Arlotto la fece fare per sé e per chi ci vuole entrare"
Piovano Arlotto had this grave made for himself and for anyone who wishes to enter

Sjuan: Historia de la vida del Buscón, llamado don Pablos by Francisco de Quevedo.
Carradice: If you feel like watching it afterwards (so that nothing is spoiled), there is a movie that somehow dares to complete the story. A mature don Pablos makes the account of his life in flashbacks. But the book is better, and funnier.
I read it last year. Strange and fascinating book.
Post edited July 01, 2020 by cose_vecchie
Opfer der Angst
Das Gespenst der Diktatur
Das Medien-Versagen
All excerpts from the book "Corona: Fehlalarm?" by Dr. Karina Reiss and Dr. Sucharit Bhakdi.
Completed Carmilla, the strain trilogy, 1984, and am currently reading animal farm.
The Story of the Treasure Seekers
by E. Nesbit
Started in book 3 of the Mallorean chronicles by David Eddings

At this moment i find myself warmed up for the story again. Reading a quarter of a book at night, with one or two days between, enjoying the character interactions though some of the remarks return quite often which makes ask questions such as " is this a reflection of part of the writers live? " but in the end leaves you wishing for Lisette or some other random young girl chasing you with all her heart
Carradice: Good for you. Although those books are better in the order they were written. But if it works for you, then great. At least you have seen a more fleshy Hari Seldon.

When he first wrote it, the Foundation trilogy was independent from his Robots series. It was later that he linked it together. So now in Prelude, the stories are intertwined. All the best if that hooks you into the Robots series and the series of novels that started with The Caves of Steel, in case you still had not.

But still, it makes sense to read Asimov in the order he wrote his books. That way you meet Dawn at its peak, instead of getting to know it first by its remnants.
Thanks for the advice, I've already known about it. This is the second time I read the Foundation series, and I was just curious to read it in a chronogical order.
However now I'm on "Foundation and Empire".