It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Best cocktail ever - best DRM-free distribution system runing over the top of free opensource Windows analog, ReactOS operating system.

The upcoming version 0.4.3 of ReactOS will support GOG Galaxy.

You can try it by yourself in vitual machine.

Experimental build of ReactOS, that suports installation of GOG Galaxy - https://yadi.sk/d/OgIV9BZ_we3W9 [63 mb]

Link to GOG Galaxy v. 1.1.15.13 (last version, that supports Windows XP) -
https://cdn.gog.com//open/galaxy/client/setup_galaxy_1.1.15.13.exe
Attachments:
Post edited October 11, 2016 by jeditobe
So a shitty buggy client on a buggy alpha OS?
Can you actually install and run any games on it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGwKKV1l4Vk

HL2 is actually playable on ReactOS with h\w acceleration

GOG is a bit untested. More news are coming
jeditobe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGwKKV1l4Vk

HL2 is actually playable on ReactOS with h\w acceleration

GOG is a bit untested. More news are coming
In Virtualbox...
Not really an endorsement IMO.
Why not in virtual box? Lots of ppl use other emulators, vurtuallizators so on.
How long has it been since first time I discover about ReactOS? 5 Year?

I really wish they already reach stable state. I don't really care even if they are just windows XP equivalent, just stable is good enough for old software and games to work on. Many will be surprised by how many those old windows still run important / expensive machinary. I used to operate a CO2 laser machine controlled by DOS 622 software and 2 others on Windows XP, and I strongly believe they are still in use even now.

This legacy hardware can benefit from ReactOS, and small business also. ReactOS + LibreOffice can fulfill a small business computing need perfectly without scaring limited trained worker to use Linux. In my country lots of business still use pirated windows in their office.

The way it is now, I really wonder when they will reach stable. ReactOS at least comes with app manager, similar to synaptic in debian/ubuntu. Well, that's a plus in my book. I really wish this project the best. But hope seems bleak

I don't use Gog Galaxy. Currently using linux. My windows partition is left alone, gathering digital dust for being unbooted for so long. Just keep it there for my wife, in case she needs it. So far she does just fine with Linux
I tried to run Python in ReactOS, and couldn't get it to work well.

I also tried running Cygwin, and couldn't get it to install. (This was done for testing purposes, of course.)
dtgreene: I tried to run Python in ReactOS, and couldn't get it to work well.

I also tried running Cygwin, and couldn't get it to install. (This was done for testing purposes, of course.)
Python was fixed few days ago.
I'd sooner expect Dwarf Fortress to become an operating system than for ReactOS to hit .50
Interesting. I'd completely forgotten about ReactOS - I thought it was dead in the water. Looks like progress has been forthcoming after all.

Tell me, is it any good (or looking to be any good) as a "retro gaming" OS for games that struggle to run under Windows 10? I know it's based roughly on the Windows NT architecture...
Galaxy runing on a Win 98 clone?
jamyskis: Interesting. I'd completely forgotten about ReactOS - I thought it was dead in the water. Looks like progress has been forthcoming after all.

Tell me, is it any good (or looking to be any good) as a "retro gaming" OS for games that struggle to run under Windows 10? I know it's based roughly on the Windows NT architecture...
The intent of the project is full compatibility with the Windows NT series of operating systems, though -as far as I've understood it- they're using Server 2003 as their primary target, and then continue building from there.
Maxvorstadt: Galaxy runing on a Win 98 clone?
ReactOS was always intended to be an open-source implementation of the NT architecture, not the DOS-based Windows.
Post edited October 11, 2016 by Maighstir
jamyskis: Interesting. I'd completely forgotten about ReactOS - I thought it was dead in the water. Looks like progress has been forthcoming after all.

Maighstir: The intent of the project is full compatibility with the Windows NT series of operating systems, though -as far as I've understood it- they're using Server 2003 as their primary target, and then continue building from there.
Maighstir: ReactOS was always intended to be an open-source implementation of the NT architecture, not the DOS-based Windows.
But it looks like Win 98.
ReactOS is NOT a clone of Win 98. Not even close!

ReactOS is NT compatible OS, like XP, 2003
Maxvorstadt: But it looks like Win 98.
No. It looks like Windows 2000 or xp without theming
Post edited October 11, 2016 by jeditobe
Maxvorstadt: But it looks like Win 98.
Windows 7 also looks like Windows 98