It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Working in house simplifies a lot of management issues, especially with a new employee.
I guess nothing rules out a later option of working outside the country if the employee is impressive enough etc.
It also shows a certain level of dedication, if you are prepared to upsticks and move country.
I know if I was an employer, I would want to get to know a new employee first hand (in person) for a while.

P.S. A lot of employers are not enamored of the work at home option, and a lot of employees aren't either, with good reason in many instances. While some employees work just as good from home, maybe even better, many don't. It takes a good working environment and discipline to work from home, and many aren't up to it. Personally, I see working at home involves a big trust element, which is even harder with a new employee.
Post edited October 31, 2020 by Timboli
low rated
Radiance1979: (...) interesting topic you raise there, a couple of years ago i was all in favor of universal basic income, these days i'm not so sure, i guess in a decent society i would be all in favor for but with the huge differences in income, background, education and capabilities i would not recommend the universal income
Seb7: Those differences would be erased by meanings of https://basicincome.org/news/2020/09/the-cost-of-a-full-basic-income-for-the-united-kingdom-would-be-67-billion-per-year-3-4-of-gdp/ it looks very promising in UK not sure how it is in Netherlands, hoping for the best.
Once you on it, you could, of course, do nothing (well, still sleeping, eating, renting, pushing and pulling economy that way as some people actually do), yet you can still do courses and get new skills without being stopped because you weren't so lucky as your friend with rich parents. This is to eliminate differences in society. Your own will would drive you to develop best skills... and if you like expensive cars, faraway holidays, thick gold necklace or private jet plane then yh, paid job, a really well paid job would get you there, but how can you get all those necessary skills and papers to get that job, or even to fly for it without a help of universal basic income or someone else`s help ? Unless you are in a better position at the start than your colleague from a school bench. (unfair) How can you leave parents house without help, and what if your family is poor? (unfair) and why to enslave people for food money (unfair) where you can give these people happiness, fulfilment by developing skills for free, and gratitude of their families (country loving citizens) Debates are on, and its hot. Hopefully next year in UK, hopefully other countries taking it seriously, as these are real lives of real people. (childish thinking? I do not think so)
This is the European Dream Universal Basic Income for Everyone (or equivalent in food and roof) I can go on...
This would help with transport to GOG`s place ^ and secure in-work test periods.

When I ruled Egypt, taxes where 10% and I paid myself big salary, and everywhere were artists and doctors and artisans. This was due to well managed export-import issues, I had my own gold mines (stones, papyrus, wine, et cetera) There were no expenses for war as I chose economy path, plants and fish for food (no big animals, too much space and costs and not very healthy), few hunters for equivalent, and people really liked to play games, it was Senet they played... I am sure you played Pharaoh too, lol well, yes, this is up to the Ruler, of course, no one else.

[please ignore if you are not the Ruler]
[i]Dear Ruler,
Please : )
I know you are a good Smurf deep inside ^ You just need to be firm to handle all this ruling stuff.
It will incomparably improve your image, and at the end people will judge you right, and you will look good again (well, better anyway) in eyes of Big Cosmic Ruler, that is responding to One Entity... that is responding to Force(Love) ...which is responding... yop, you got this,... by its children. Please do not be afraid of love, you will just get stronger and better in everything.
Kindest Regards
Seb7[/i]
[please ignore if you are not the Ruler]
I belief this is more of a global thing then a local problem. The idea could probably be well executed in a static environment but in the current dynamic world we live in today. Netherlands for example knows a large part of workers from other countries that mix and match, some stay others will leave and the same goes for the refugees from other countries. All their papers will be checked, not to mention that, if for example the regime they fled from is deemed not dangerous enough they will be refused to stay and of course there is the real problem of a growing shortage on the cheap housing market which is not even enough to sustain the growth of the own population. Outside those problems it seems there are to much people that will use the base income for own life sustenance with no motivation what so ever to grow some income. eat sleep drink fuck repeat etc, this might be a bit of a chicken or the egg point in determining what comes first but personally i'd like to see the whole social environment in a better shape then it currently is before going over to something like a base income. There is already a bare minimum instituted in the netherlands where everyone has a right towards too if they submit to the right procedures and are deemed good for receiving ( really you need to be a criminal if your not deemed good ) which seems to fit the current social model quite well.

I do wonder about how a base income system would deal with fixed people requirements such as healthcare, police, justice etc etc etc since there seems to be a real possibility that you would find shortages across the board. Of course doctor is a well esteemed career choice if you have the brains and stamina for such a job and of course in the not so far future robots can or could take over, maybe if the automation really kicks in there will be a natural cross over towards a different economy system?
Darvond:
First of all, why work for GOG?

Second, look for a job in a place/area/country you want to live.
Most places are kind of drab and dull to be honest and you'll only want to work there if you already have friends or family.
Darvond: B) The minimum wage is an indicator of what the average wages would be. Or to put it in even more lay terms, the offers one would get for the same jobs in Germany would pay better than the ones in Poland.
Could be, or not. Some things to consider:

- Many countries don't even have a minimum wage set by law. For instance, Finland. (But then the unions are quite strong here and are vigilant to check people are not employed too cheaply.)

- Whatever the minimum wage would be, employers are quite good at making special arrangements, like that they don't have "employees", but "freelancers" who just sell their services to the company. Even if it is lower jobs like cleaning etc.

- Even if the wages may be lower in Poland, so are probably the expenses.

- The wage disparity between high and low paying jobs varies in different countries. For instance, I am pretty sure an ICT professional in Silicon Valley makes many times more per year than an ICT professional in Finland (but even there there are things to consider, like Finland has "free" university education, "free" healthcare, relatively cheap day care for your kids etc. which might or might not matter to you; but higher taxes too).

At the same time, I am pretty sure many blue collar jobs in Finland pay even better than in US, like waiters (and other restaurant jobs), cleaning, truck drivers, working in factories etc. The wage disparity is much narrower in Finland than in e.g. US, so you can't really compare "if a cleaning lady makes more in Finland than in US, then certainly an ICT professional makes too".
Darvond:
Strijkbout: First of all, why work for GOG?

Second, look for a job in a place/area/country you want to live.
Most places are kind of drab and dull to be honest and you'll only want to work there if you already have friends or family.
I think you've partly missed the point. I am indeed asking, "Why work for GOG when you'd have to live somewhere drab away from all your friends and family?".
Darvond: A) Or they could just open local offices where relevant. Maybe not do what Chucklefish did and open an office in London of all places, but you know. Somewhere. Reasonable prices.
That would be a nightmare from a corporate and taxation perspective. There are significant costs associated with setting up legal entities or branches in other countries - even within the EU. This would make GoG less profitable, and mean they probably have to consider increasing prices or cutting services.

Regarding the wages, if you have people in Poland who have the skills and who want to do these jobs at the wages that they are offering (which are probably competitive for Poland), GoG wouldn't want to pay more to people to do them in more expensive places. Remember that the wages they are paying will be fair for the region - the cost of living in Poland is going to be lower than say Germany or the US, so you get more for your money.
Darvond: I think you've partly missed the point. I am indeed asking, "Why work for GOG when you'd have to live somewhere drab away from all your friends and family?".
Is that a genuine question that you are seeking justification to move to GOG offices to work there (ie. you think there might be some good reasons to move that you are not aware of, like being able to play all GOG games without having to pay for them etc.)...

...or is it more of a sarcastic comment like "no one in their right mind would work to GOG if they have to move to Poland", and you are not really expecting any genuine answers either?

I've been once to Warsaw on vacation and it seemed like an ok place to me, and at some point when I was "between jobs" I slightly considered if I'd move to Poland to work for GOG. Then again I guess I live nearer (1000-2000 km?), and moving to Poland would be an upgrade to me as far as weather goes as it is south of Finland.

But I guess the wage would have been probably lower than in Finland. And nowadays I am not sure anymore I'd want to work for GOG, considering how their business objectives seem to have moved slightly... And I have a steady job at the moment, and of course I can't be sure GOG would have wanted me anyway. :)
I think Darvond and I have the same thought: GOG is understaffed and has difficulty attracting talent.

I don't know whether GOG's salaries are competitive for Poland but even accounting for potential cost-of-living differences does not help when it comes to any product made outside of the country.

According to Glassdoor, salaries on GOG are pretty terrible by my standards. Front end engineer making $26k/year, senior softare engineer about $34k/year. That's ranging from less than 2000 EUR/month to about 2500 EUR/month, lol. And then I looked at rent in Warsaw.. 2799 pln (600 EUR) for 38 to 60 m^2 apartment, 4015 pln (869 EUR) for 60 to 90 m^2. That is actually not really cheaper than what my apartments have been in Finland. I imagine food might be a bit cheaper in Poland, but it sure wouldn't make up for the massive difference in salary.

https://polandunraveled.com/cost-of-living-in-poland/

Anyway, if they opened up for remote, they could get people from countries where salaries are similar or worse. Maybe also juniors or part timers from countries where average salaries are better but people need jobs.
Post edited October 31, 2020 by clarry
Darvond: A) Or they could just open local offices where relevant. Maybe not do what Chucklefish did and open an office in London of all places, but you know. Somewhere. Reasonable prices.
pds41: That would be a nightmare from a corporate and taxation perspective. There are significant costs associated with setting up legal entities or branches in other countries - even within the EU. This would make GoG less profitable, and mean they probably have to consider increasing prices or cutting services.

Regarding the wages, if you have people in Poland who have the skills and who want to do these jobs at the wages that they are offering (which are probably competitive for Poland), GoG wouldn't want to pay more to people to do them in more expensive places. Remember that the wages they are paying will be fair for the region - the cost of living in Poland is going to be lower than say Germany or the US, so you get more for your money.
Except there's one little thing. From several accounts, the housing in Poland sucks until you jump up a level or two. Be it brutalist Soviet era block apartments that are crumbling away because the slumlord who runs the complex is too cheap or poor to refurbish the entire building, or tacky old townhouses that are from the pre-Soviet era which also have their own problems.

Also, the cultural issues, which I've avoided mentioning up to this point. To put it frankly, I don't think I'd feel very welcome in Poland. I'm Agnostic/Nontheistic, bisexual, and I fully support the LGBTIQA+ spectrum.

Poland is 92.9% Catholic. You can see how this might be a small problem.
Darvond: Except there's one little thing. From several accounts, the housing in Poland sucks until you jump up a level or two. Be it brutalist Soviet era block apartments that are crumbling away because the slumlord who runs the complex is too cheap or poor to refurbish the entire building, or tacky old townhouses that are from the pre-Soviet era which also have their own problems.

Also, the cultural issues, which I've avoided mentioning up to this point. To put it frankly, I don't think I'd feel very welcome in Poland. I'm Agnostic/Nontheistic, bisexual, and I fully support the LGBTIQA+ spectrum.

Although that's the choice that you make (as someone based in the US) when considering whether you want to relocate internationally to work in Poland. That being said, every country has good housing and bad housing.

Obviously, it's not great if you don't feel you would be welcome in the country - I've not taken some jobs in the UAE as I feel that the way I lead my life is incompatible with their values, so I do know how you feel. However, it is a free market (well, as free as a labour market can ever be) - they'll either find someone locally to do the job at the salary they have offered, or they will have to reassess their plan.
Darvond: Except there's one little thing. From several accounts, the housing in Poland sucks until you jump up a level or two. Be it brutalist Soviet era block apartments that are crumbling away because the slumlord who runs the complex is too cheap or poor to refurbish the entire building, or tacky old townhouses that are from the pre-Soviet era which also have their own problems.

pds41: Although that's the choice that you make (as someone based in the US) when considering whether you want to relocate internationally to work in Poland. That being said, every country has good housing and bad housing.

Obviously, it's not great if you don't feel you would be welcome in the country - I've not taken some jobs in the UAE as I feel that the way I lead my life is incompatible with their values, so I do know how you feel. However, it is a free market (well, as free as a labour market can ever be) - they'll either find someone locally to do the job at the salary they have offered, or they will have to reassess their plan.
Well. If the reviews at Glassdoor are of any value, the turnover rate at CDPR/GOG is dangerously high. And given how often the postings seem to change up or how they've had open positions for so long...(especially software engineers...)

I wonder if mental health is included in that bill of benefits, or given the sort of "practices" they have, if mental health is a dirty phrase.
Sorry, I could not not to post it :D https://polandin.com/38554743/naked-truth-nudist-beaches-increasingly-popular-among-poles
I don't quite feel like the risky click.
Darvond: I don't quite feel like the risky click.
I am sure it has been checked by Mod already ;)
Seb7: I am sure it has been checked by Mod already ;)
On what basis?

Maybe you don't realize it, but MODs are rarely ever here ... certainly going by their responses ... or lack of.
Most MODs everywhere, tend to rely on others reporting issues.
They do of course from time to time keep an eye on certain individuals, but that's about it.
GOG are seriously understaffed according to everything I have heard and seen.
In fact, if you go back about 3 or 4 months, and it was like all the MODs bar one had perished.