It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

If you’re looking for a 2D action roguelike game, you definitely want to check this one – Towerful Defense: A Rogue TD is now available on GOG!

With this game, you’ll immerse yourself in a thrilling tower defense action roguelike, where you command a lone tower in a desperate battle against relentless waves of aliens swarming from every angle. Select your tower, customize it with up to four powerful skills, and delve into a wealth of traits and items to forge formidable strategies that pave the way to triumph.

Now on GOG!
"I can take about an hour on the tower of power as long as...." Eh, never mind the rest of that quote.
I sure do like when the visual design of something is equal to radio static noise.

Also, I do hold a slight grudge against TDs as being one of the killers of RTS as a genre.

Ey, GOG. Why is the language randomly flipped in one of the screenshots?
Never been much of a fan of tower defense games, but there is a demo so I might check it out anyway. Also, this news post probably should have mentioned that there is a demo. And I guess I will save anyone interested a click: https://www.gog.com/game/towerful_defense_a_rogue_td_demo
Themken: "I can take about an hour on the tower of power as long as...." Eh, never mind the rest of that quote.
Oh God, I am the American dream... :-)
dnovraD: Also, I do hold a slight grudge against TDs as being one of the killers of RTS as a genre.
TDs didn't kill RTS. MOBAs like LOL, DOTA 2, Smite, HOTS, etc. did besides ABK.
dnovraD: I sure do like when the visual design of something is equal to radio static noise.

Also, I do hold a slight grudge against TDs as being one of the killers of RTS as a genre.

Ey, GOG. Why is the language randomly flipped in one of the screenshots?
I don't blame TD games from killing RTS games, even if they indeed feel a bit like simplified RTS games.

To me the reasons really were that newer RTS games didn't seem to have much more new to offer, and bigger RTS games all tried to become the next "online Starcraft", ie. concentrate on the competitive online game instead of meaningful single-player experience.

I would say I love single-player RTS games with proper campaigns (like Starcraft, Age of Empires 1-3, Total Annihilation etc.) but see competitive online or single-player skirmish RTS pointless and uninteresting. Every now and then I try some older RTS classics I personally haven't played before, but am usually a bit underwhelmed and understand why they never became as popular as Warcraft 1-3, Starcraft, Age of Empires 1-3 etc.

I don't even know sometimes what makes one single-player RTS great and another meh. It seems the same ingredients are there, but they just don't click or something is missing, just can't put my finger on it. For instance Dark Reign, I just got bored playing it even though I originally thought it must a great single-player RTS games all the way up there with C&C games or Warcraft or such (because at least I recognized its name for years before playing it). I can't even tell for sure what it is that makes me bored in the game, maybe it is just too generic or bland map design and unit design or something.

Starcraft (the first one) is the holy grail of single player RTS games to me, and I always try to ones that would click with me the same way like SC did from the very first time I played it. Age of Empires 1-2 were there too, for a bit different reasons than Starcraft. Total Annihilation was good too but felt a bit generic and bland compared to Starcraft's richness, but there were some things (like the user interface) that were even better in TA.

And so on and so forth... Not a big fan of tower defense games, but I absolutely loved Plants vs Zombies though, it had a very good design and a perfect difficulty curve.

Oh and as I keep saying, playing an engineer in Team Fortress 2 is the best tower defense game ever! Especially since saying that out loud during the game will annoy the heck out of enemy players when they can't get past my sentry gun. I bet they feel like they are those zombies in PvZ who can't get past my guns either. :)
Post edited July 30, 2024 by timppu
dnovraD: Also, I do hold a slight grudge against TDs as being one of the killers of RTS as a genre.
Let’s be fair: MOBA are the ones we should blame here. (and I do blame them, a lot)
TD have always been a minor niche, not big enough to kill anything, especially not RTS.
Genres don't die or kill each other, people just lost interest in RTS games because... nothing really noteworthy came out after their peak? Starcraft 2 was the last big RTS and that was 14 YEARS ago
I watched the trailer video and have absolutely no idea what's going on in this "game".
Everything's the same color and moving in different directions.
At one point, a big "flying saucer" passes over the central "tower", but nothing bad happens!?
Oh, whatever. I'll pass.

edit:
The news page has a different trailer embedded, which is a little better than the one on the game card (among the screenshots). It's still busy and confusing as heck.
Post edited July 31, 2024 by g2222
g2222: I watched the trailer video and have absolutely no idea what's going on in this "game".
Everything's the same color and moving in different directions.
At one point, a big "flying saucer" passes over the central "tower", but nothing bad happens!?
Oh, whatever. I'll pass.
Yeah, seems like a ongoing trend of making psycadelic visuals over old same games. Totally not mentioning Tetris Effect.