It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hungry for some clever, complex and exuberantly macabre detective game that allows you to think and investigate freely? Well, then get The Case of the Golden Idol with 10% launch discount that lasts until October 20th, 2 PM UTC.

Discover clues surrounding 12 strange and gruesome deaths and build your own theory. Pick your suspect, deduce the motive, unmask the awful truth.
this looks really cool (well, it looks ugly but the concept is neat). I don't trust devs anymore with basic functionality and stuff, so will wait for a bunch of reviews and a big sale.

Recommended system requirements: Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.5GHz (4 CPUs)
You keep using that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means :P.
GOG.com: Release: The Case of the Golden Idol
Reminds me of these logicals that you find in puzzle magazines, sometimes.
Only here it looks like you have to also find the clues for the logical first?
Interesting concept.
At some sort it follows the interesting concept of a game like Discworld Noir, where you manipulated your notebook word clues to achieve new conclusions and even more clues.

In fact I can only think about three examples of similar core gameplay. This game, Discworld Noir and an obscure 1995 DOS adventure called Jack the Ripper. Maybe some other detective games use it in a partial way. Any Frogwares Holmes games (?)

It looks very interesting. Disgusting art though :D
Post edited October 13, 2022 by Gudadantza
Gudadantza: It looks very interesting. Disgusting art though :D
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be somewhat disturbing, and the characters rather grotesque (likely based off some historical art style). So, you may find it "disgusting", but it's pretty well done for what the creators seemed to be going for. At the very least, it's fairly unique -- far less boring and homogeneous than if it were, for example, yet another anime-graphics game that looks like every other anime-graphics game. :)
Gudadantza: It looks very interesting. Disgusting art though :D
HunchBluntley: I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be somewhat disturbing, and the characters rather grotesque (likely based off some historical art style). So, you may find it "disgusting", but it's pretty well done for what the creators seemed to be going for. At the very least, it's fairly unique -- far less boring and homogeneous than if it were, for example, yet another anime-graphics game that looks like every other anime-graphics game. :)
Agree, this art clearly is not made to be visually appealing but I have not looked into it deeply or ingame to see if I consider it properly well done or not.

Anyway, taking in account your opinion If I consider it disgusting probably they have achieved their goal, don't you think?
Post edited October 13, 2022 by Gudadantza
Gudadantza: Agree, this art clearly is not made to be visually appealing but I have not looked into it deeply or ingame to see if I consider it properly well done or not.

Anyway, taking in account your opinion If I consider it disgusting probably they have achieved their goal, don't you think?
Hopefully. :)
GOG.com: ... unmask the awful truth.
The awful truth? When I smile, my smile is wide.
Interesting concept, but terrible graphics, so I will pass.
If this was like Obra Dinn I'd more than happily try it out.
Looks interesting enough to me to wishlist for now. I've read some people comparing it to Obra Dinn; I believe it's a similar concept, not as well made as Obra Dinn but still quite enjoyable on it own.
Gudadantza: At some sort it follows the interesting concept of a game like Discworld Noir, where you manipulated your notebook word clues to achieve new conclusions and even more clues.

In fact I can only think about three examples of similar core gameplay. This game, Discworld Noir and an obscure 1995 DOS adventure called Jack the Ripper. Maybe some other detective games use it in a partial way. Any Frogwares Holmes games (?)

It looks very interesting. Disgusting art though :D
If I remember correctly, the Blackwell games use similar mechanic.
eastc: If this was like Obra Dinn I'd more than happily try it out.
This is absolutely inspired by Obra Dinn. I played the demo just the other day during the Steam Next Fest and it's a proper bit of detective work. There are 12 cases, you have to find all the relevant pieces of evidence in the pictures (slightly hidden object like), which adds words to your "notebook", and then you use the various visual and lexicographical clues to solve each murder. Apparently there is also an overarching story line, with a nice twist at the end - according to a number of reviews I've read.

So, a different, less sprawling type of Obra Dinn for people who like to do detecting. With only 12 cases it probably won't take you more than a day or two to finish. I have it wishlisted and will see if it becomes affordable to me at the end of year sales.
Nice at style, wishlisted.