It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Unlikely, but here nonetheless.

<span class="bold">Starship Titanic</span>, a long-lost Douglas Adams adventure, is available now for Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com.

Douglas Adams told a very brief story once, it took up one standard page at most, depending on whatever font was selected for the exact copy you might have stumbled upon at the library, your aunt's place or wherever it is that you browse through assorted bookshelves. This was just one of his very many stories, and while some were told before and some after, it was this particular one that just happened to inspire the proper person who just happened to be born at the right time, the right place, and was presently in the right kind of mood to make a video game.

This is the tale of a glorious, flying monument to humanity's rather presumptuous dominance over life, the universe, and everything. And this, is how the unlikely story of the Starship Titanic was born:

"The designers and engineers decided, in their innocence, to build a prototype Improbability Field into it, which was meant, supposedly, to ensure that it was Infinitely Improbable that anything would ever go wrong with any part of the ship. They did not realize that because of the quasi-reciprocal and circular nature of all Improbability calculations, anything that was Infinitely Improbable was actually very likely to happen almost immediately. The Starship Titanic was a monstrously pretty sight as it lay beached like a silver Arcturan Megavoidwhale amongst the laser-lit tracery of its construction gantries, a brilliant cloud of pins and needles of light against the deep interstellar blackness; but when launched, it did not even manage to complete its very first radio message - an SOS - before undergoing a sudden and gratuitous total existence failure." -- Douglas Adams in Life, the Universe and Everything.

A strikingly similar and perhaps slightly ironic, was the fate of the Starship Titanic - the game - which has also vanished from any understandable plane of existence. Only recently has it been located by a GOG.com user who goes by nothing more, and nothing less than tfishell. Thanks guy, for putting us in touch.

Embark on an improbable adventure aboard the <span class="bold">Starship Titanic</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
I was just reading about Adams because I've been reading some stuff from his buddy Berk Breathed. Thanks for the legwork tfishell and for the release GOG!
Fever_Discordia: brings a ear to my eye *sniff*
musteriuz: Was it your own ear? I'd like to see a photo of that. No wonder you're crying, though.
You're not going to complain about the spelling? It should obviously be *an* ear.
some nice releases today...
Nice catch, GOG and tfishell. Thank you!
Trilarion: Many thanks to tfishell. He should get a percentage of the sales. Just for this I should buy it but I also love Douglas Adams and didn't know he made a computer game.
He had some involvement in the Lucasfilm/Activision early adventure game [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth:_The_Computer_Game]Labyrinth[/url]. And of course the Infocom text adventures: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Bureaucracy.
Post edited September 17, 2015 by bsmall
game looked very interesting to me, click point game , one of my favorites
but, i checked youtube videos and the navigation looks like legend of grimlock
the way the room/view turns is way too much for me i gitcoded the pinatagame cause i cant play these games because of motionsickness.

Too bad cause the game looks very nice, if only the rooms would have shown instantly after a click like the default hiddenobject games have , and the first dark mirror has, you click and either you walk and get smaller (mo real fpp walking /zooming) or you click and instantly the new room is there.

so i have to let this one pass by because of motions.
What a full-of-classics-releases day, W00T, indeed!
This would be an instabuy because I just love Douglas Adams (and of course The Hitchhiker which should be next here ;)) but my backlog is soooo big, I'll have to start playing some of those games. So for now I guess it's just wishlisted.
DNA!
I think "thanks guy" is not really correct.
Post edited September 17, 2015 by SLP2000
Nice one! I'm drowning in adventures i haven't played yet so wishlisted for now.
gloombandit: Just think you ought to know, we're all feeling very delighted.

Now, I'll just leave this beauty here.
Thank you so much for sharing this link. A brilliant speaker who actually has something to say. What a loss...
You have no idea how long I've been waiting to get my hands on a playable copy of this!

Well, actually the release date's probably a bit of a clue...
Fever_Discordia: brings a ear to my eye *sniff*
musteriuz: Was it your own ear? I'd like to see a photo of that. No wonder you're crying, though.
Well there WAS a 't' to begin with but, being British, I couldn't resist drinking it, sorry! :-P
So GOG finally got Starship Titanic! Is the game similar to Myst?