It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

In a forgotten galaxy full of strange planets, you crash-land on one with the ancient mystery. Residual is now available on GOG.COM along with a 15% discount that will last until 16th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Clearly they had good pixel artists, because some of those environmentals are great.

Clearly they didn't have a good art director, because all the detail is in the environment, while the active entities (player, enemies) just fade into the background.
mqstout: Clearly they had good pixel artists, because some of those environmentals are great.

Clearly they didn't have a good art director, because all the detail is in the environment, while the active entities (player, enemies) just fade into the background.
in screenshots, but maybe not in movement
here's some gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRKw84Yg6tQ
Post edited September 09, 2021 by Dogmaus
looks pretty damn cool. had no idea this existed. will likely grab this later today.
I'm not into platformers at all, but this kinda looks like a pixely steamworld dig or similar. there's also this:

> customize survival parameters like how fast time advances, and race to repair the ship,

customizing sounds great (I prefer my survival games without survival elements, just exploring, crafting, whatever), advancing time and racing to repair a ship not so much. I wonder how customizable it is and how time works. I'm fine with playing for 300 in-game days instead of speedrunning it in 10 if there are no consequences or game over or something.

there's a demo on steam, might give it a shot, if only to find out about customization.
Post edited September 09, 2021 by Dohi64
Oh wow, an ugly, pixelated, procedurally generated game. "A new breed" indeed.
Looks interesting.

I seem to have a soft-spot for "crashed my ship - now to figure out how to get off the planet" games; as I enjoy both Planet Nomads and No Man's Sky. Also enjoyed Terreria (sp?).

The price is reasonable.

I'm not a big fan of timers - and apparently this game does have a "race to repair the ship" timer; so need to learn about that.

Might buy - depends.. Need to learn a little bit more about it first... The "gameplay" overall sounds good - but it's often other things like lack of keyboard-remapping, or too-strict "timers", that put me off of an otherwise interesting game.

We shall see..

[Edit]: Interesting that the game card has both the following statements about the game: *) "hostile plant life" and *) "Residual welcomes players to a non-violent survival experience with limitless possibilities and no traditional combat". Might mean something like plants that emit poisonous gasses or similar...
Post edited September 09, 2021 by Martek
mqstout: Clearly they had good pixel artists, because some of those environmentals are great.

Dogmaus: in screenshots, but maybe not in movement
here's some gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRKw84Yg6tQ
Sorry, even with movements, it's still look dogshit to me. The fact that they had to give the protagonist the bright yellow suit pretty much shows that it's the only way to make the character stand out a bit from the environment. The fact that the environment is "procedurally generated" means there's no curated level to make the main character actually pop out. Now let us compare that to well curated levels for Ender Lilies. They made sure every map make Lily look pop out on the screen. Or maybe we can see old gem like Metal Slug series where all characters (including enemies) are unique but not mugging the screen.
My problem with these retro pixel art games is that they fail at understanding that is all about doing a great job with the resolution and color limitations given. They should really look at the old games and realize that characters should be recognizable and as detailed as possible, not 16-20 squares piled together.
Nice to see non-binary as an option.

(Don't like it? Don't choose it).
I'd buy this in a heartbeat, but where is Mystic Towers? Its on Steam but not here.

I buy both once Mystic Towers show up, I want to play some Apogee games again. They'd make more money with older games than indies for sure.
Post edited September 09, 2021 by Dray2k
Dray2k: I'd buy this in a heartbeat, but where is Mystic Towers? Its on Steam but not here.

I buy both once Mystic Towers show up.
Why not just the whole Baron Baldric series?
True! The more games the better. Though The BB games aren't even released on steam, I don't know if Apogee even has them anymore. Hopefully we will see those games at some point on here.