It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Test your skills in a strategic roguelike deck-building game with a twist. Monster Train is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM with a 20% discount that will end on 10th September 2020, 5 PM UTC. The game is set on a train to hell, where you’ll have to use tactical decision making to defend multiple vertical battlegrounds. With real-time competitive multiplayer and endless replayability, the game will always manage to face you with a new challenge.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
Lifthrasil: What does Roguelike mean in this case? This word is a huge warning sign for me, that I probably won't like the game. But I do like card games and Monster Train looks interesting.
It's only an hour or so per run. Maybe shorter like 30 minutes, or longer like two hours, if you make fast/slow decisions. So it's not like Sword of the Stars: The Pit where it takes 20 or 30 hours and your character slowly starves to death.

It's paced like Slay The Spire, but there's a bit of a juggling act. You have three floors of combat and a room where your perma-health takes damage if enemies reach. Enemies only fight a single round of combat before climbing a floor each turn and new waves spawn at the bottom. After all waves are done, you collect cards and relics and resolve some shops and events and do it again, 8 battles total.

Personally, I prefer short-format games when there's permadeath.

-----------------------------------------

Well, I guess I have to keep playing on Steam for now. GOG Connect would be nice. :(
Post edited September 05, 2020 by mothwentbad
MyLife4Night: I'm happy to see another roguelike card games like Slay The Spire coming to our store because Slay The Spire was a HIDDEN GEM!
I love Slay the Spire as well. I was shocked that I did. I played it on a whim and loved it.

Lifthrasil: What does Roguelike mean in this case? This word is a huge warning sign for me, that I probably won't like the game. But I do like card games and Monster Train looks interesting.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is confused when roguelike is thrown out.
Post edited September 05, 2020 by chimera2025
MyLife4Night: I'm happy to see another roguelike card games like Slay The Spire coming to our store because Slay The Spire was a HIDDEN GEM!
chimera2025: I love Slay the Spire as well. I was shocked that I did. I played it on a whim and loved it.

chimera2025: I'm glad I'm not the only one who is confused when roguelike is thrown out.
The term roguelike comes from the eponymous 1980's video game Rogue which was a dungeon crawler. The term originally meant games that are like Rogue, as in dungeon crawlers, but it's since evolved to represent a genre of games.

Modern use generally means the game has permadeath, some sort of progression system, and procedural generation or other means of randomization in story progression or level design. The games are usually more difficult to "win" or complete because the game is saved automatically and death means starting from the beginning, sometimes with some benefit of previous attempts.

In the case of deckbuilding games, your progression is in the cards you add to your deck, more powerful cards, to assist with more powerful enemies that will appear as you progress further, and death (losing the core) results in starting over. Sometimes you can unlock things during previous attempts to make future attempts easier.

In FTL no your first attempt your very unlikely to make it to the end, because certain events can lead to sever losses that can cripple you, and you lack an understanding of strategies and weapons to purchase. As you make multiple attempts you will progress further because the progression is in the the knowledge you earn, knowing the potential outcome of events, better strategizing of routes to pick, knowing what kind of weapons work well together, understanding how to defeat enemies. Death results in starting over from the beginning (there's no reloading a saved game after death), but you can unlock new ships along the way meaning future runs could potentially be more difficult or easier.
This is the best representation of a modern roguelike game.