It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Test your skills in a unique social survival game where every encounter matters. Mesmer is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM! As a revolution leader, influence people and factions into following your cause, while keeping yourself out of the spotlight of the secret police.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
steinbitglis: It's going to take some time still, but I will see what I can do about the situation. We do have a linux machine at the office after all.
Great
I own your two games on GOG, it is true that some problems exist on "World to the West"
The announcement of a possible update is very good news.

I think everyone can make mistakes, so I never considered giving up your future games.
The release of "Mesmer" on Linux shows your interest for us!
Your more usual presence will certainly be greatly appreciated by the GOG community:)
Post edited October 17, 2020 by LinuxFire
LinuxFire: The community Linux is made up of 100% former users Windows.
I'm a former Amiga user. I never switched to Windows. In kind of a reverse way ,these last couple of years have made me think that I should switch to Windows so I don't have to deal with so much frustration every day. I never became a fan of Linux the way I was a fan of the Amiga (and C64 before that), but I never saw any decent alternative.

Dogmaus: It might be worth going over the ugly graphics
I like the graphics. What would you prefer? Something more "realistic"? If there were a demo available here, and I enjoyed the demo, I might consider buying it, since I'm a su8cker for that sort of thing. As is, I'm unsure about the gameplay (esp. time-limited quests) and Ganni1987's first comment kind of concerned me.
kud13: It's a management game where you juggle Nobles, Merchants, Artists, and Worker's sympathies in a maritime city-state that feels very 18-19th century Europe.

I think it's just part of the trend we're seeing where a lot of game devs are turning to the French Revolution/Early Industrial era for setting inspirations.

I tried the Steam demo, but didn't get very far. (...)
Overall, it's an interesting idea, but pretty clunky, imho. I'll check out the full version later down the line.
Dogmaus: Thank you for mentioning the demo! I guess it was too much of a hassle to upload it on GOG XD Same as for Batbarian, why make a demo but not let customers of a store know it exists I wonder. What are in your opinion other games that are using this setting recently? I'm thinking of Ticket to Ride but that's originally a tabletop game. I can also think of 80 Days and Tooth and Tail.
Off the top of my head, We The Revolution, Executioner, the upcoming Dishonored-looking Spiders game (the one with Luis 16th robotic army gone haywire).... there's also that Illuminati sim game (Secret Society, I think it's called?) and a few other tactics and visual novels I've seen trailers for that are going to be releasing soon-ish.

It's a setting that's becoming pretty popular overall. Just like in fantasy lit where I've noticed a lot more "flinlock fantasy" debuts recently (as in, the last 3-5 years)

EDIT: I've also noticed that some releases on GOG tend to not upload a demo until some time after release, if it's releasing on GOG simultaneously with other platforms (looking at you, Hellpoint: Thespian Feast). So I would guess a demo might show up here eventually.

Could also be due to the fact that a lot of the Steam demos featured during various festivals are clearly labelled as "works in progress", and you can't just dump that onto a storefront post-release, since post release demos are expected to be reflective of the final product's quality.
Post edited October 17, 2020 by kud13
kud13: Off the top of my head (...)
Thank you, very interesting. Maybe you are referring to Secret Goverment. And I searched for the new Spiders game, Stellrising, and it fits perfectly, french revolution, electricity. It makes me think of a text based game the Frankenstein Wars. in which the French Revolution is fought with dr. Frankenstein life creatin discovery, so dead soldiers are still fighting as long as the brain is not too damaged to revive them. This also brings up the moral question: do you have the right to do this to your dead comrades, even if it helps saving lives between your army
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cubusgames.TheFrankensteinWars&hl=de&gl=US?
Post edited October 17, 2020 by Dogmaus
kud13: Off the top of my head (...)
Dogmaus: Thank you, very interesting. Maybe you are referring to Secret Goverment. And I searched for the new Spiders game, Stellrising, and it fits perfectly, french revolution, electricity. It makes me think of a text based game the Frankenstein Wars. in which the French Revolution is fought with dr. Frankenstein life creatin discovery, so dead soldiers are still fighting as long as the brain is not too damaged to revive them. This also brings up the moral question: do you have the right to do this to your dead comrades, even if it helps saving lives between your army
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cubusgames.TheFrankensteinWars&hl=de&gl=US?
Yes, I think it was Secret government.

Now that I've been working from home, I watch a lot of indie trailer compilations on YouTube, so a lot of the names get jumbled in my head, :)
GOG.com: Mesmer is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM!
The game card tells me that Mesmer works on Linux, but it does not have system requirements for Linux. Is the "Works on" field wrong or are the system requirements missing?

steinbitglis: We do have a linux machine at the office after all.
So Mesmer does have a (64bit?) Linux version on GOG and only the system requirements are missing, right?

BTW. when your account is connected to Rain Games you can ask GOG to tag it as a developer account. Then your posts will be more visible (colored orange).

Dogmaus: It might be worth going over the ugly graphics but It's like they turned Teslagrad into Animal Crossing rubbish. World to the West was still bearable to look at, but here they really tried every trick in the hat to make it uglier than one might conceive. Even those super deformed heads, maybe they thought that it would play down the potential seriousness of the political theme? Political Animals managed to be kawaii, colourful and modern without having such stupid and bad graphics.
Obviously that's a matter of taste. The comic style might be a little bit over the top, but I like the graphics in Mesmer more than the simplified one in World to the West and the childish style of Political Animals.
Post edited October 18, 2020 by eiii
RedRagan: Y'know what, maybe you're right about it's us vs them. My experience with Linux users are never pleasant. 3 years ago I was thinking about learning Linux but no one want to help me even when I asked politely in message board and IRL.
gogtrial34987: I'm sorry to hear that.
FWIW, when I started with Linux, back when, I just downloaded a semi-random distro, installed it, and anytime I encountered any problem, I'd find a solution with a few short online searches. After a year or two, I could determine for myself what I cared about in a Linux distribution based on personal experience, did research based on that, and have never looked back.
I wouldn't know how to get started in any other way, but people here on the forum seem positive about the work adamhm has put into his beginner's guide for Linux Mint (that's for Mint 19, not certain if he's done one for Mint 20 yet), so people willing to provide helpful advice certainly do exist.

RedRagan: Then years of my activity on GOG message board Linux users always posting about certain game doesn't run on their Linux OS and complaining about it or complaining that a certain game doesn't have a Linux version.
gogtrial34987: I semi-regularly post on new release threads for games without a Linux version which look interesting, to ask if a Linux version is possible. I try to always do so friendly and respectfully, mostly with the goal of letting developers know that there's interest, since for developers who're on the fence about it, this can make the difference between putting in the time, or not. And if they say it's not in the cards, then I wish them luck with their game, and happily return to the abundance of other games that do just work on Linux.
Since I do this, I also pay attention to other similar posts by Linux users. I've seen posts I'd classify as "complaining" (mostly due to understandable frustration when a Linux version is available at Steam, but not DRM-free on gog) - but I'd describe the vast majority of such posts as friendly and respectful, same as what I'm striving for.
I wonder how much of your characterization is colored by your earlier bad experiences, and how much of it is perception due to "tone" coming over badly in text.

RedRagan: For a community who keep preaching for people to use Linux the gatekeeping is real. Also watching Linux users keep arguing with each other about their preferred Linux Distros in Linus Torvald's youtube videos shows how fragmented Linux users are.
gogtrial34987: I think there's very few Linux users who consider themselves to be part of a Linux "community". Linux is just an OS. My interest align slightly with those of other Linux users in that we all benefit from even more games being available, but that's about it. (Philosophically I of course align strongly with some underlying Linux and open source principles, but these in themselves aren't exactly things I've ever seen much online community around either.)

Yes, there are fanboys using Linux, same as there are for any other OS, and yes, these fanboys consider it important which distro is most popular, but eh, what can you do about it? The "fragmentation" between distributions is something I consider a strength - there's near infinite choice. If you're willing to put in the time, there's a perfect distro for everything you care about - and if you aren't, then you can pick one of the mainstream ones which comes closest, and tinker with the things that don't quite match your personal vision of how things should be.

As for the arguments happening in the comments on youtube videos: You're talking about comments on youtube videos! The subject of the videos is entirely orthogonal to that. (relevant xkcd) ;P

Anyway, with apologies to the developer of this lovely looking game, I think that's quite enough derailing of this thread from me. :)
Look, sorry if I sound snippy in my reply, but you have to understand it was accumulation of personal experience and how many times I saw the same thing repeating again. I was an introvert so it took me a lot to ask someone irl, during a local tech expo, on a Linux booth to discuss thing related to Linux. But people who attended that Linux stand was 3 men, and they look at me as if I'm a freak just because I want to ask further questions about Linux. They don't say anything and went back eating and ignoring other people who visited the booth as well.

Back in 2015 (in my country at least) we can still buy laptops with OS option either Win 7 or a linux distro but fast forward to 2019 all laptop on sale with either Win 10 or MS Dos with no Linux option. So I felt that Linux people already burned that bridge with local consumers in my country.

At least I can admire the group of people who willing to help newbies trying linux, but for me maybe it was a bit too late. Or maybe I will wait for another 5 years until Linux distros can be considered stable enough to use for everyone.
RedRagan: of personal experience
This is what builds us ;-)

It’s apparently a hot topic.
I’ve just seen Linux users denounce this behavior you’re talking about.
Apparently, a small community wants to remain a minority, and discourages some new arrivals.
They are certainly not gamers!

I also just read the testimony of a beginner French who asked basic questions to download and install Linux, on an American forum for very advanced developers, he got all that answers before understanding that it was not there where it should be.

LinuxFire: The community Linux is made up of 100% former users Windows.
darktjm: I'm a former Amiga user. I never switched to Windows. In kind of a reverse way ,these last couple of years have made me think that I should switch to Windows so I don't have to deal with so much frustration every day. I never became a fan of Linux the way I was a fan of the Amiga (and C64 before that), but I never saw any decent alternative.
Really very impressive!
I do not regret my mistake which allows to take advantage of your experience :-)
So: 99.9999...%

For the frustration I understand you, but personally I prefer to keep the ease of use discovered with Linux.
I won’t be able to find the courage to go back.
Post edited October 18, 2020 by LinuxFire
and former MS-DOS users!
eiii: So Mesmer does have a (64bit?) Linux version on GOG and only the system requirements are missing, right?
Both 32 and 64-bit!

And, yes, it's just the requirements that are missing. I'm not quite sure why they're missing, I'll look into it, thanks for letting us know!
eiii: So Mesmer does have a (64bit?) Linux version on GOG and only the system requirements are missing, right?
Snalin: Both 32 and 64-bit!
Nice, thanks for confirmation!