It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Medieval Battlefields is an indie fast-paced turn-based strategy game – and it’s now available on GOG, with a -33% launch discount until October 21st, 1 PM UTC!

Train your armies, build your castles and improve your war equipment! You can be a knight of the English Crown, a champion of the French Court or a fierce Viking marauder.

Now on GOG!
mqstout: Something cannot be fast-paced and turn-based.
Maybe you could explain us the reasoning behind this statement? Just dropping it as if it were an axiom won't make anyone agree with you...

kspes: Developer of the game here, both of you have some good points :)

In any case, our reasoning behind this 'controversial description' was that the game was designed in a way that turns usually don't take a lot of time. Thus making the game feel more dynamic while still retaining all the benefits of a turn based game.

As opposed to Heroes of Might and Magic and Lords of the Realm games where turns can take quite a lot of time, which was a pain for me during multiplayer sessions.
Hence the desire to create a more 'fast-paced' turn based game.
Thanks for dropping by!
Don't worry about the "controversy", we GOGers love to argue about almost anything :)
Attachments:
297.jpg (40 Kb)
mqstout: Something cannot be fast-paced and turn-based.
Lone_Scout: Maybe you could explain us the reasoning behind this statement? Just dropping it as if it were an axiom won't make anyone agree with you...
Because it is. Words mean things. These concepts are, basically, opposites and it's cognitively impossible for something to be both. The developer's explanation makes sense: They designed the game to have turns with fewer activities/decision points and less cognitive load; each turn is smaller. (And I'm glad there's no turn timer, etc.) That doesn't make it "fast-paced". There's no "adrenaline" ("blood-pumping", "push/drive", "anxiety/threat", etc). And I say all this as a lover of turn-based games.
kspes: Developer of the game here, both of you have some good points :)
Lone_Scout: Thanks for dropping by!
Don't worry about the "controversy", we GOGers love to argue about almost anything :)
Indeed, thanks for stopping in! (And yes, we do.)
Post edited 4 hours ago by mqstout
Breja: Interesting. Looks like something I might enjoy a lot, but I wish there was a demo to see how it actually plays.
Unrelated to this discussion, love the Vorlon avatar :) I've been rewatching Babylon-5 recently. Are you team-sinclair or team-sheridan? :)
Lone_Scout: Thanks for dropping by!
Thanks :) As long as it's civil, I do enjoy a good argument! :)
mqstout: Because it is. Words mean things. These concepts are, basically, opposites and it's cognitively impossible for something to be both. The developer's explanation makes sense: They designed the game to have turns with fewer activities/decision points and less cognitive load; each turn is smaller. (And I'm glad there's no turn timer, etc.) That doesn't make it "fast-paced". There's no "adrenaline" ("blood-pumping", "push/drive", "anxiety/threat", etc). And I say all this as a lover of turn-based games.
Don't know about you, but I felt quite a lot of anxiety and adrenaline playing turn based combat in Fallout and Wastland as well as Heroes of Might and magic.
Post edited 4 hours ago by kspes
Breja: Interesting. Looks like something I might enjoy a lot, but I wish there was a demo to see how it actually plays.
Same :)
mqstout: Once a clock is involved, real time applies. Unless you can stop the timer and actually make it proper turns to take your time. (I accept "real-time with pause" games.) If the timer auto-passes, it becomes realtime.

And, yes, a RTS is a game with rapidly passing, auto-ending and resolving "turns".
I get your point, and probably not applicable on this particular game but many games are turn based and designed to have a turn clock, basically anything that involves multiplayer. A good exemple is Worms Armaggedon or World Party (don't know about newer stuff), they are as much turn based as any other game and the clock doesn't make them real time. Of course if one feel the standard 45s is too small, then the game have other options.

Not even mention turn based multiplayer games over the internet, that's a whole new can of worms(no pun intended).
Post edited 3 hours ago by Dark_art_
You can download a free demo on iOS or Android, we sell our games there as free-to-try.
kspes: Unrelated to this discussion, love the Vorlon avatar :) I've been rewatching Babylon-5 recently. Are you team-sinclair or team-sheridan? :)
>Vorlon jukebox noises< Yes.

In all seriousness, it's not really a fair question since Sheridan obviously had so much more screen time, and in the overall stronger seasons. So I think I do like him better, but I also wish we got to see more of Sinclair. Still, I think the way things turned out, the way what was meant to be Sinclair's got split into two, was actually lucky for us, the audience. I think it's one of the rare cases where we really got the best of both worlds. Of course it's a pity the reason we got it was Michael O'Hare's mental health issues.

If you haven't read it, there's a canon novel To Dream in the City of Sorrows, which tells of what happened tp Sinclair between seasons 1 and 3 of the show. Good stuff, at least as far as such tie-in novels go.

Anyway, I'm always happy to meet a fellow B5 fan. I finished re-watching the show just about a month ago myself. A few episodes of Crusade left now, and I'll finally be ready to watch that animated movie from last year for the first time :)
Breja: In all seriousness, it's not really a fair question since Sheridan obviously had so much more screen time, and in the overall stronger seasons.
All true, but still I liked Sinclair better in the Commander role, never really fully got used to Sheridan in that role, O'Hare really shined in that character.

Breja: If you haven't read it, there's a canon novel To Dream in the City of Sorrows, which tells of what happened tp Sinclair between seasons 1 and 3 of the show. Good stuff, at least as far as such tie-in novels go.
I'm aware of it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I prefer audiobook format and non of the B5 books are available in audio format afaik :/
Post edited 3 hours ago by kspes