It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
high rated
It honestly didn't matter when the Hitman games removed Denuvo because their normal system is already worse. I played this game back when it released on PS4 and put up with all their BS (including throwing you out of the game into the main menu if it lost the online connection for a second).

When Hitman 2 released and they still kept this system ignoring the very real possibility that the servers can go down since they lost their publisher with Square Enix, I stopped supporting them entirely. They STILL have no plan to handle the servers going down.

This is a losing situation to have the game still in this state on GOG. It's a problem that I can't trust a supposed DRM free storefront to have DRM free games.
Post edited September 22, 2021 by halflifedave
high rated
foxworks: Who knows, maybe the powers that be will reverse this online connection decision at a latter date.
They haven't yet on Steam, even five and a half years later.
high rated
wolfsite: Be careful, I was showing support a while back in that thread and then got accused of wanting DRM for no reason and then attacked.
thank you for the warning.
I'll just stop buying games on gog if they don't correct this in a few days.
I just don't see any reason to buy games here if they don't sell drm-free games anymore.
rly, gog? rly?
high rated
People are even complaining on Reddit about the DRM instead of defending it, things must be bad!
https://www.reddit.com/r/gog/comments/pt9wcl/hitman_2016_has_released_on_gog_with_online_drm/
high rated
So, GOG started out bringing good old games to market...

... now that doesn't particularly apply anymore.

They also brought DRM free games to market...

... now that doesn't particularly apply anymore.

(and don't even get me on to data-mining via Galaxy)

What is GOG now?

I really don't know anymore.
high rated
SmollestLight: Story and bonus missions can be played offline :) For Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts you will need an online connection.
Please answer to this question: are you aware, that this is a single-player game and that therefore the Escalation and Elusive Target missions affected by the always online DRM are, in fact, hours of single-player content?
high rated
halflifedave: It's a problem that I can't trust a supposed DRM free storefront to have DRM free games.
It's as if the GOG executives have seen the additional money they could be making if they sold very popular DRM-encumbered games and they decided they want a piece of that pie, so they did this as a test to see if people will go along with it.

It was bad enough when some games sold on GOG had a form of DRM (either serial keys or required registration) for multiplayer content. Requiring DRM for exclusively single-player content is absolutely inexcusable and unacceptable.

Since this game still requires the always-online requirement, I honestly can't see any reason to buy the game here on GOG when I already own it on Steam (or any benefit from buying it on GOG versus Steam for those who don't already own it).
high rated
SmollestLight: Story and bonus missions can be played offline :) For Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts you will need an online connection.
This is a new fucking low for GOG. What a disgrace!
high rated
wolfsite: Best to vote with your wallet, don't buy the game or request a refund if you did buy and are not happy with the limitations.
mrkgnao: But if people don't buy this game, yet continue to buy other games on GOG, then GOG lost nothing by adding this game to their catalogue. Even if a small percentage of people do buy the game, it was worth it.
So does that mean you are not buying any games anywhere, anymore?

I basically buy games only from GOG, and DRM-free. So if I started boycotting all GOG games, even the DRM-free ones, due to this, then it would mean I would stop buying any games.

Nah, I don't think your suggestion makes any sense. If people stopped buying DRM-free games due to this, all it would "prove" both to the game publishers and GOG is that DRM-free games don't sell because apparently no one is buying them.

Nah, I think it is much better to boycott the game which has DRM, and keep buying DRM-free games. That shows both to the publishers, and also GOG, which kind of games we want to buy. I vote with my wallet. For instance, I just bought Darksiders Genesis from GOG, instead of Hitman.
Post edited September 22, 2021 by timppu
high rated
So, can we finally declare Sep 22nd the day GOG finally took the mask off and explicitly broke the DRM-FREE claim?
In case you agree, Could any the oldest & reputed DRM-Free GOG members please set this shameful date in stone? This an historical date we need collectively remember...
mrkgnao: They are probably just waiting to see how many people who promised to leave GOG when they release their first non-DRM-free game will actually leave. My guess is very few, if any.
Yeah... I wonder who those people were? Apparently at least not you, considering you are still here? So does that mean you are fine with DRM on GOG then?
high rated
emme: Got the game open while offline, and this seems to indicate that sadly, yes... ALL the progression (challenges/mastery and inventory) is limited to online only. This is beyond disappointing.
Guys, if we can't trust Gog anymore about new games being fully DRM-free and playable offline for single-player.. there's no point buying here.
We could all just move to Epic or Steam and check forums for info about DRM. And getting better deals and features, meanwhile..
high rated
mrkgnao: But if people don't buy this game, yet continue to buy other games on GOG, then GOG lost nothing by adding this game to their catalogue. Even if a small percentage of people do buy the game, it was worth it.
timppu: So does that mean you are not buying any games anywhere, anymore?

I basically buy games only from GOG, and DRM-free. So if I started boycotting all GOG games, even the DRM-free ones, due to this, then it would mean I would stop buying any games.

Nah, I don't think your suggestion makes any sense. If people stopped buying DRM-free games due to this, all it would "prove" both to the game publishers and GOG that DRM-free games don't sell because apparently no one is buying them.

Nah, I think it is much better to boycott the game which has DRM, and keep buying DRM-free games. That shows both to the publishers, and also GOG, which kind of games we want to buy. I vote with my wallet.
I still buy DRM-free games. Just not from GOG. I refuse to support a store that openly lies about their principles. And doesn't even mark some of their DRM-ed games.

Therefore I rather go to other DRM-free stores or even to DRM-agnostic stores who clearly mark which games have DRM and which have not.

GOG used to be a store where you could trust that you'd get DRM-free games. Not anymore. So until they clean up their act and either return to being 100% DRM-free or openly admit that they are now DRM-agnostic and introduce a filter by DRM in their store, I won't buy anything here.

And yes, I think it makes sense to boycott GOG. If enough people were to start acting like that instead of throwing money at companies they complain about, it would create pressure to change things. Companies (GOG included) don't care about your complaints in forums. They care about the revenue they get. If that drops, they will react and try to rectify things to appease their customers.
high rated
Why does GOG still claim to be DRM free if they're willing to do shit like this? This isn't some multiplayer only component, this is hours of single player content.

By selling this game, in this state, GOG has pushed its mounting levels of hypocracy to clownish levels.

GOG, you disgust me, you have become a greedy, scummy platform full of liars and shills.
Post edited September 22, 2021 by ReynardFox