It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The premiere of the new film directed by Simon McQuoid gives us the awesome chance to take a closer look at the cult fighting game developed by Midway in 1992.

It was then that Mortal Kombat gifted us with the ability to take part in a bloody tournament, where the prize wasn’t money or fame - it was saving the world!

Did you know?
· Although Mortal Kombat became a cult classic that spawned numerous sequels and adaptations, its beginnings were quite humble. The game’s original development team consisted of… 4 people. Even with only 4 people, they were able to create the game in 10 months!
· The game’s original concept was to create a title starring Jean-Claude Van Damme. Knowing that, it should be no surprise that the Johnny Cage character bares a striking resemblance to the famous Belgian, and even performs his famous nut-cracking blow from Bloodsport.
· There are a number of stories explaining why Mortal Kombat is spelled with a “K” instead of “C”. Ed Boon, one of the game’s main creators, claims that the title was invented by accident, during one of the creative brainstorms.

The Adaptations
Mortal Kombat was one of the first video games to become a multimedia franchise and its film adaptation from 1995 (directed by Paul W. S. Anderson) garnered praise among fans. Now, the new Mortal Kombat film that premieres today, will have large boots to fill.

Check out the differences between the new trailer and the original trailer for the 1995 film here:
rjbuffchix: I want the new Mortal Kombat games here. I want any and all Mortal Kombat games here. Cut the licensed characters if need be; or better yet, make deals...wasn't the point of the Galaxy-pushing and partnership with Epic including selling of DRMed games via the app to "expand the audience"? Surely since everyone on Earth, besides us "niche vocal minority" offline installer users, have demanded GOG.com be a side attraction compared to "the mother of all clients" GOG Galaxy 2.0, you guys must have the money by now from the expanded audience to just pay the licensing fees, right?
Haha, excellent post! Thumbs up!
Still would love to see MK Gold from Dreamcast (AKA MK4: Gold) get ported over to PC.
Also would love to see MK5,6,7,8 hit PC too.

While I'm at it - Ultimate MK3 needs to come here.
Also, we need MK Trilogy (the 2nd updated version of MK3, right after Ultimate MK3) on here too.

Of course, I'd love to see MK9, MK10, and MK11 hit GOG.
Post edited April 27, 2021 by MysterD
MysterD: Still would love to see MK Gold from Dreamcast (AKA MK4: Gold) get ported over to PC.
You won't see these, since never had a PC (Windows) version. And I don't think, that someone will port them, simply not enought income for these (and then there was some licensing issuess/characters aswell). However, you can try them to play with an emulator trough... if you have the original disc or else.

MysterD: While I'm at it - Ultimate MK3 needs to come here.
Ultimate MK3 never had an official PC release. However, the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection on Steam had the arcade version of UMK3, packaged together with an solid emulator.

MysterD: Also, we need MK Trilogy (the 2nd updated version of MK3, right after Ultimate MK3) on here too.
MK Trilogy could eventually happen. Hopefully... It also had a great DOS version (not to speak of the Windows 95/98 version) with CD-audio.

MysterD: Of course, I'd love to see MK9, MK10, and MK11 hit GOG.
These can maybe come, but need to remove Steam functions and some licensed stuff. Mayben on day.
MysterD: Still would love to see MK Gold from Dreamcast (AKA MK4: Gold) get ported over to PC.
OP_2021: You won't see these, since never had a PC (Windows) version. And I don't think, that someone will port them, simply not enought income for these (and then there was some licensing issuess/characters aswell). However, you can try them to play with an emulator trough... if you have the original disc or else.

MysterD: While I'm at it - Ultimate MK3 needs to come here.
OP_2021: Ultimate MK3 never had an official PC release. However, the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection on Steam had the arcade version of UMK3, packaged together with an solid emulator.

MysterD: Also, we need MK Trilogy (the 2nd updated version of MK3, right after Ultimate MK3) on here too.
OP_2021: MK Trilogy could eventually happen. Hopefully... It also had a great DOS version (not to speak of the Windows 95/98 version) with CD-audio.

MysterD: Of course, I'd love to see MK9, MK10, and MK11 hit GOG.
OP_2021: These can maybe come, but need to remove Steam functions and some licensed stuff. Mayben on day.
I do have MK Kollection on Steam with MK1+MK2+UMK3. Yeah, good stuff; I do like it. I would still like to see something like that here on GOG, especially since G4WL is dead.

I'd love to see MK Trilogy hit here.

Yes, I have MK9, MK10 (MK: XL Version) - those rock.
Would love to see MK11 hit GOG one day.

About MK4: Gold and MK5+6+7+8 - do you think WB or Netherrealm would and could port those over to here? Or emulate them so they work on PC?

About dependencies (i.e. Steamworks, Galaxy support, etc etc) - yeah, that's always going to be the issue w/ modern games...as for them to work properly - they'd need to remove them, rework them, move them to another service, or whatever the case is, depending on the game and what service they are putting them on.

In MK9,10,11 cases - yeah, for those to hit GOG, they'd have to remove Steamworks; and they might add Galaxy support if they want to support it.

I'm all for more games hitting GOG, especially if they shed any DRM-laced roots from other DRM-allowed services (like Steam).
MysterD: About MK4: Gold and MK5+6+7+8 - do you think WB or Netherrealm would and could port those over to here? Or emulate them so they work on PC?
Don't have hight hopes for these. At least I don't. I think it wont happen.

MysterD: In MK9,10,11 cases - yeah, for those to hit GOG, they'd have to remove Steamworks; and they might add Galaxy support if they want to support it.
I would too, but they first probably need to remove not only the Steam funtions but also all these licensed stuff (like Jason, Freddy Krueger, Alien, Predator, Robocop and such characters). Oh and MK9 isn't offically on Steam anymore. You have it in you library there, because you did buy it in the past. But it is gone from the store.

Maybe Netherrealm can rework these, but if this gonna happen? Only WB excecutives know...
MysterD: About MK4: Gold and MK5+6+7+8 - do you think WB or Netherrealm would and could port those over to here? Or emulate them so they work on PC?
OP_2021: Don't have hight hopes for these. At least I don't. I think it wont happen.

MysterD: In MK9,10,11 cases - yeah, for those to hit GOG, they'd have to remove Steamworks; and they might add Galaxy support if they want to support it.
OP_2021: I would too, but they first probably need to remove not only the Steam funtions but also all these licensed stuff (like Jason, Freddy Krueger, Alien, Predator, Robocop and such characters). Oh and MK9 isn't offically on Steam anymore. You have it in you library there, because you did buy it in the past. But it is gone from the store.

Maybe Netherrealm can rework these, but if this gonna happen? Only WB excecutives know...
Is it possible that Microsoft ever brings official Xbox (OG), Xbox 360, and Xbox One support & emulation over to PC one day?

That would be great - as I believe all of those MK's - MK5: DA, MK6: Deception, MK7: Armageddon, and MK8 (aka MK v. DC) are on those Microsoft platform.

If MK9, 10, and 11 came to GOG - yeah, they'd probably have to remove all the Steamworks function and maybe add all of the GOG Galaxy integration.

And like you said - yeah, they might have to remove licensed characters, if they no longer hold the rights to those.

MK9 and MK10 (XL Edition) are awesome, IMHO.
The problem with the Xbox 360 version is, that these are not x86 technology based like the Xbox One (and later) console(s). So you really need an emulator, to emulate the PPC*.

Even Xbox One doesn't have that. But rather when you put in the XB360 disc into it, it will check with the server and download a new x86 verison of that game. But not all Xbox 360 games have been ported, only some.

*there is one, but you need a very strong hardware to run it at solid/playable framerates, like at least a Geforce 1070 or more.

Here is a video, someone made with showing different games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yFAzAjY9gg

So my conclusion is: don't wait for these old Mortal Kombat games on PC (Windows/Mac/Linux), because it wont happen.

However I would also like to see, if they can at least bring the MK Trilogy and maybe the MK Arcade Kollektion here to GOG.
OP_2021: The problem with the Xbox 360 version is, that these are not x86 technology based like the Xbox One (and later) console(s). So you really need an emulator, to emulate the PPC*.

Even Xbox One doesn't have that. But rather when you put in the XB360 disc into it, it will check with the server and download a new x86 verison of that game. But not all Xbox 360 games have been ported, only some.

*there is one, but you need a very strong hardware to run it at solid/playable framerates, like at least a Geforce 1070 or more.
I have a 8gb RTX 3070.

Would be nice if Microsoft did make an emulator to run old OG Xbox games, X360 games, and X1 games over on W10 PC's.

It would give me a good reason to go chasing after these games on Ebay, Retro Stores, and/or other places.

Of course, I'd always rather these companies port stuff straight over to PC, but....yeah, who knows on that one, unless there's a high-demand for it and/or it's easy for them to do (which sounds like...it might not be). [shrug]
Post edited April 28, 2021 by MysterD
Nothing about how bad mortal kombat is now. It lacks just about everything the original games had....authenticity, realism, classiness etc
Crevurre: Nothing about how bad mortal kombat is now. It lacks just about everything the original games had....authenticity, realism, classiness etc
You mean the new movie? I didn't have see it, but did read some comments and they say, that the best are the first 10 or so minutes, that play in the 17th century Japan. Oh, and they also wrote, that the movie makers forgot to include the turnament itself and it is reserved for another movie...

What? A Mortal Kombat movie without the tournament fights?!
Crevurre: Nothing about how bad mortal kombat is now. It lacks just about everything the original games had....authenticity, realism, classiness etc
OP_2021: You mean the new movie? I didn't have see it, but did read some comments and they say, that the best are the first 10 or so minutes, that play in the 17th century Japan. Oh, and they also wrote, that the movie makers forgot to include the turnament itself and it is reserved for another movie...

I've seen the MK 2021 Movie.

Yeah, there's no tournament in the movie. Looks like it'll be set-up likely in MK2 Movie or one of the next possible 4 films (if they continue w/ the 4-films plan).

Action & special effects are awesome.

Story and character stuff's a total mess in 2 hours b/c there's a lot going on here; too much for 2 hours. The film flies b/c of its action, but is frustrating b/c of everything else.

You can't take multiple characters, elements, themes, and whatnot - and expect them to get fleshed-out properly in 2 hours. This would've been better w/ less characters, plots, sub-plots, and/or with a longer run time like say Zack Snyder's Justice League did w/ 4 hours; or better entirely as a TV series w/ Seasonal set-up of say 8-10 episodes per season w/ 1 hour episodes (or so).
OP_2021: You mean the new movie? I didn't have see it, but did read some comments and they say, that the best are the first 10 or so minutes, that play in the 17th century Japan. Oh, and they also wrote, that the movie makers forgot to include the turnament itself and it is reserved for another movie...

MysterD: I've seen the MK 2021 Movie.

Yeah, there's no tournament in the movie. Looks like it'll be set-up likely in MK2 Movie or one of the next possible 4 films (if they continue w/ the 4-films plan).

Action & special effects are awesome.

Story and character stuff's a total mess in 2 hours b/c there's a lot going on here; too much for 2 hours. The film flies b/c of its action, but is frustrating b/c of everything else.

You can't take multiple characters, elements, themes, and whatnot - and expect them to get fleshed-out properly in 2 hours. This would've been better w/ less characters, plots, sub-plots, and/or with a longer run time like say Zack Snyder's Justice League did w/ 4 hours; or better entirely as a TV series w/ Seasonal set-up of say 8-10 episodes per season w/ 1 hour episodes (or so).
why do you say the effects are awesome without irony? we have standards on gog, and those standards are not met by generic effects that are "awesome".

For example, sub zero uses freeze blast that are not present in it, and does a spinal rip that is also not present. instead he has a very goofy, weirdo ice sword and ice wall that makes no sense. the ice wall is behind scorpion which is stupid and crumbles making it totally pointless. there's also no reason to fight in a room full of pipes and air conditioning equipment.
Post edited April 29, 2021 by Crevurre