It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Become a landlord and deal with problematic tenants as you build your rental property empire. The Tenants game is now available on GOG.COM along with a 10% discount lasting until 1st April 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
I tried the demo and it was... too early to tell. It could go either way. I do like "builder games" with variety and a long meta-game attached, which this seems to have... But I hate builder games that are "optimize meters exactly just so", which this also seems to have.
Post edited March 26, 2021 by mqstout
mqstout: I tried the demo and it was... too early to tell. It could go either way. I don't like "builder games" with variety and a long meta-game attached, which this seems to have... But I hate builder games that are "optimize meters exactly just so", which this also seems to have.
(Bolding by me.) I hope that's not gonna be the case, because I don't consider that fun either.
May I ask, what a meta-game is?
FlockeSchnee: I hope that's not gonna be the case, because I don't consider that fun either.
On micro-optimization: My best example of that was Zoo Tycoon, where you just had to check your meters after every little thing you placed to see if it added to or removed from a meter, until you couldn't improve the pen anymore. It was terribly unfun.

On meta-game: So this game happens at two layers (at least from what I could tell in the demo). First is that you're a landlord, trying to build apartments and rent them out for revenue generation. That's the "meta-layer". The big picture game that links together all the other bits. Then the meat of the game is zoomed in, repeatedly renovating apartments (yours, and other people's) within criteria to meet needs, or occasionally doing a mini-game ("exterminate bugs" for example).

Other examples: In Simcity 4, there is the meta-game of the whole region, but each city was also mostly its own with some interactions. Or Crossroads Inn has its story/narrative that propels the whole game beyond just building a tavern. Or Rimworld has a couple long-term victory conditions to escape the planet (beyond just "building a settlement to last forever").
Post edited March 25, 2021 by mqstout
... Halo? yes, she likes you too...
Post edited May 21, 2021 by user deleted
mqstout: snip
Thanks for the explanation.
Never played Zoo Tycoon or Simcity 4 (I think I played Simcity 2000 very briefly, but don't really remember it).

I guess meta-game doesn't bother me that much then. I care for the building part. Of course, that depends, if that meta would impede negatively on the building experience. As long as there are various ways to accomplish something and not just "this way for the win". But I have to admit, that I don't check stats all that thoroughly. With builders I mostly make sure, that it looks nice and does what it should properly. But if I can't reach that without "optimizing" and/or/because if everything kind of looks the same in the end, because your options are extremely limited, that's when the game becomes unfun for me.

I own Crossroads Inn, but haven't played it yet, since there still seem to be things to be done. I still have high hopes for this game though. It looks like something I would enjoy. I will see, if that's the case, when it is more polished, I guess.
Post edited March 25, 2021 by FlockeSchnee
FlockeSchnee: I guess meta-game doesn't bother me that much then.
long meta-game was a tick in the "pro" column to me. I like that. But the zoomed-in actual renovation (at least from the demo) was very "particular" and repetitive, so that was a tick in the con column. So the game still could go either way after I experienced the demo.
mqstout: long meta-game was a tick in the "pro" column to me.
That makes sense then, your message has an extra "don't" in there which left me wondering what you liked about it :).
D'aaaaaaw, "poor landlord".

Eat the rich. <3
Interesting concept. Any word on the potential of a Linux release?
Nice! Was hoping to see this game here! :)
mqstout: long meta-game was a tick in the "pro" column to me. I like that. But the zoomed-in actual renovation (at least from the demo) was very "particular" and repetitive, so that was a tick in the con column. So the game still could go either way after I experienced the demo.
So you do like part of it. OK. :-)
We'll see where the developments leads to in the end.
Zoidberg: D'aaaaaaw, "poor landlord".

Eat the rich. <3
I bet when you have a lot of money you will act the same as the so called rich people you hate so much.
FlockeSchnee: I hope that's not gonna be the case, because I don't consider that fun either.
mqstout: On micro-optimization: My best example of that was Zoo Tycoon, where you just had to check your meters after every little thing you placed to see if it added to or removed from a meter, until you couldn't improve the pen anymore. It was terribly unfun.
Yeah, the meter system force us to use end game items even when we want to have fun with some older stuff. It's pretty annoying because the tactic can became repetitive.

I rather have system like Theme Hospital. Sure you must put certain items in the room but you can also add so many extra stuff just for fun.
Post edited March 29, 2021 by RedRagan
Zoidberg: D'aaaaaaw, "poor landlord".

Eat the rich. <3
RedRagan: I bet when you have a lot of money you will act the same as the so called rich people you hate so much.
"Bet"? Even the terms you use in your arguments are flawed by design! :D

But glad that we agree on how to treat the rich. :)
Post edited March 29, 2021 by Zoidberg
Ah, it's looking a lot like Project Dollhouse before Will Wright developed it fully into The Sims.