It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Award-winning adventure game returns in the new version, featuring an extended story with more puzzles to solve and new areas to explore. Kathy Rain: Director's Cut is coming soon to GOG.COM!

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Aw man I replayed this game last year. It was even better the second time around. I had forgotten most of the ending.

I will probably buy this on release just to support the devs.

It's actually the only point and click adventure game I've felt get close to Blackwell in terms of ambiance. I haven't gotten to Unavowed however so that might change it

Hopefully Kathy Rain 2 is in the works
Never bought this because the soundtrack wasn't sold here.

"Atmospheric original soundtrack"
"Expanded and remixed soundtrack by the original composer, Daniel Kobylarz."

But not included or available still.
GOG.com: Award-winning adventure game returns in the new version, featuring an extended story with more puzzles to solve and new areas to explore. Kathy Rain: Director's Cut is coming soon to GOG.COM!
Sadly it still has the same low-res pixelated graphics. :(
But as it comes with a Linux version now I nevertheless might grab it.

@GOG: The system requirements for Linux and MacOS are missing and those for Windows are messed up, "1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor" versus "Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system". ;)
Post edited March 13, 2021 by eiii
Zoidberg: Smoking hasn't been edgy since lung cancer btw...
I can't think of anything more edgy than flirting with cancer actually.
eiii: Sadly it still has the same low-res pixelated graphics. :(
Wouldn't want it if it didn't.
Post edited March 13, 2021 by my name is sadde catte
Swissy88: Never bought this because the soundtrack wasn't sold here.

"Atmospheric original soundtrack"
"Expanded and remixed soundtrack by the original composer, Daniel Kobylarz."

But not included or available still.
It's available in the game; it's what you listen to while playing. 100% of the time in game descriptions when talking about soundtracks, they're talking about the music in the game. Sometimes the soundtrack is sold separately as well, but in some cases the game developers don't have the rights to sell it themselves and it's up to the composer. Which is likely the case here since it's not on Steam either.
Swissy88: Never bought this because the soundtrack wasn't sold here.
Unless you have a problem buying it directly from the artist, it's available on bandcamp; you probably shouldn't miss this game if it's your kind of stuff.
Yeah I was wondering when they start making HD remakes of all these modern low-res pixel art games. Figures.

I think they should also make remakes of movies like Raging Bull, Memento and Sin City, where they've added color to all the black&white scenes.
eiii: Sadly it still has the same low-res pixelated graphics. :(
Cannot say for this game (although it looks good) but for Wadjet games at least, it is a style choice. They put great care in their pixel art. For Technobabylon, for example, the main developer prepared 3D models because it was easier for him to do that than pixel art. Then, from the 3D models still pictures were obtained. These still pictures were the basis for a specialized artist that was responsible for the actual pixel art that appears in the game. Cared for to the last single pixel. See, this is the opposite of cheap development that uses pixel art as an excuse to save effort. Technobabylon is a game where every scene is pleasant to the eye, be it a run down factory or appartment, a busy police station or the virtual world.
timppu: Yeah I was wondering when they start making HD remakes of all these modern low-res pixel art games. Figures.

I think they should also make remakes of movies like Raging Bull, Memento and Sin City, where they've added color to all the black&white scenes.
A note related to that. Playing SNES games on a mini-SNES, I found, to my surprise, that games actually looked better with scan lines. A possible explanation is that the scan lines help soften the perceived image, as the mind fills up the gaps appropiately. Actually, these games were created to be watched with scan lines. Maybe if there had been screens without scan lines at the time, the choices for graphics would have been different, since the designers would not have been able to rely on the softening effect.

Yet some people insist that they do not want scan lines... But indeed it might become something like adding colour to black and white movies.
Post edited March 13, 2021 by Carradice
timppu: Yeah I was wondering when they start making HD remakes of all these modern low-res pixel art games. Figures.

This isn't an HD remake thankfully.
high rated
Carradice: A note related to that. Playing SNES games on a mini-SNES, I found, to my surprise, that games actually looked better with scan lines. A possible explanation is that the scan lines help soften the perceived image, as the mind fills up the gaps appropiately. Actually, these games were created to be watched with scan lines. Maybe if there had been screens without scan lines at the time, the choices for graphics would have been different, since the designers would not have been able to rely on the softening effect.
Quite a few of the old console and 8-bit and 16-bit computer games were actually designed with CRT monitors and TVs in mind. The developers basically were using the way CRT draws the images on the screen to make the graphics appear sharper or more colourful than they actually were. Moder displays do, in some ways, a disservice to old pixel art, as it draws them differently from how CRT works. Here's a small example of how CRT makes pixels look more detailed: https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/167804/did-retro-pixel-artists-design-with-crts-in-mind

There are other discussions about it, if you just google it.
tomimt: Here's a small example of how CRT makes pixels look more detailed: https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/167804/did-retro-pixel-artists-design-with-crts-in-mind

There are other discussions about it, if you just google it.
Very good examples, thanks.
Carradice: [...]
Cannot say for this game (although it looks good) but for Wadjet games at least, it is a style choice. They put great care in their pixel art. For Technobabylon, for example, the main developer prepared 3D models because it was easier for him to do that than pixel art. Then, from the 3D models still pictures were obtained. These still pictures were the basis for a specialized artist that was responsible for the actual pixel art that appears in the game. Cared for to the last single pixel. See, this is the opposite of cheap development that uses pixel art as an excuse to save effort. Technobabylon is a game where every scene is pleasant to the eye, be it a run down factory or appartment, a busy police station or the virtual world.
[...]
Didn't know about the efforts these guys put in their games, before reading your post I took a look at the game's page and at first I thought it was from the 90s, their care for the game shows without doubts, I definitely will buy their games.
Nice to see it on GOG.
and one more in less : wishlist completed +38
Post edited March 14, 2021 by LinuxFire
Well of course if it has a DC it should be on GOG. I have bought this on Humble and for Android and I didn't like it. So unless the story and characters are made better or there are new audio languages added, I can't say I felt the need for this DC.
I dodn't think it needs an extended story but a clear one, or getting rid of the beginning in the dorm, etc.
Post edited March 14, 2021 by Dogmaus
This suspiciously feels like DLC but at a slight discount.