It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I know you guys prob get a lot of these, but I just yesterday bought the game on GOG and already am regretting not getting it on steam. I ran into the trading glitch(first metchant sets the value for all in the area) and the gltich where your uncle's quest vanishes(and he too?) if you leave the forest area. Both of which are regarded as fixed in steam's beta patch. I am trying to gauge if I am better off trying to wrestle with GOG support for a refund and grab the steam version instead, or bite my time and wait till 1.0.6 becomes avaible on GOG.

I understand that I will most likely not get a reply, its a "when its done" by standard, but I want to post it just in case anyone else is considering grabing it. The steam version has beta patches, way ahead of time to GOG by looks of it.
Sapare: I know you guys prob get a lot of these, but I just yesterday bought the game on GOG and already am regretting not getting it on steam. I ran into the trading glitch(first metchant sets the value for all in the area) and the gltich where your uncle's quest vanishes(and he too?) if you leave the forest area. Both of which are regarded as fixed in steam's beta patch. I am trying to gauge if I am better off trying to wrestle with GOG support for a refund and grab the steam version instead, or bite my time and wait till 1.0.6 becomes avaible on GOG.

I understand that I will most likely not get a reply, its a "when its done" by standard, but I want to post it just in case anyone else is considering grabing it. The steam version has beta patches, way ahead of time to GOG by looks of it.
Beta patches are Logic Artists/Steam exclusive. Nothing to do with GOG. You have no recourse for a refund on those grounds. Let's be clear here: patch 1.06 is NOT out yet. They've already found major bugs in the beta and those have to be fixed before release.
Post edited August 24, 2017 by Hickory
Sapare: I know you guys prob get a lot of these, but I just yesterday bought the game on GOG and already am regretting not getting it on steam. I ran into the trading glitch(first metchant sets the value for all in the area) and the gltich where your uncle's quest vanishes(and he too?) if you leave the forest area. Both of which are regarded as fixed in steam's beta patch. I am trying to gauge if I am better off trying to wrestle with GOG support for a refund and grab the steam version instead, or bite my time and wait till 1.0.6 becomes avaible on GOG.

Hickory: Beta patches are Logic Artists/Steam exclusive. Nothing to do with GOG. You have no recourse for a refund on those grounds. Let's be clear here: patch 1.06 is NOT out yet. They've already found major bugs in the beta and those have to be fixed before release.
I'm generally cool with not getting beta patches, since in theory that means whatever versions we get are more stable.

Of course this assumes that a) we get the "proper" patches at the same time as they're released on steam, or at least very soon after, and b) the "proper" patches are significantly more bug-free than the beta patches.

For a), it seems pretty good for this game (barring certain issues with respect to Galaxy). b) is probably debateable, since if there are more patches coming out then, in general, the newer the patch the better (beta or no beta).

It would be great if GOG introduced a beta program similar to Steam - I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult. At the least the dev could send a beta patch to GOG and GOG could just have that available as a download, or do it via Galaxy (technically there shouldn't be that many changes required to Galaxy - at the end of the day it's just another patch, just the conditions around downloading will have to be varied compared to the "regular" patch).

That said, I'm waiting on 1.0.7 since that will apparently have some (final?) balancing for the harder levels - although the level cap in 1.0.5 does address the difficulty a fair bit already.

Still, the game feels like decisions were made without someone thinking them through (e.g. camping/food etc.) - here's hoping that all of those will be addressed and rectified to some extent at least.
Post edited August 25, 2017 by squid830
squid830: It would be great if GOG introduced a beta program similar to Steam - I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult. At the least the dev could send a beta patch to GOG and GOG could just have that available as a download, or do it via Galaxy (technically there shouldn't be that many changes required to Galaxy - at the end of the day it's just another patch, just the conditions around downloading will have to be varied compared to the "regular" patch).
GOG already offers beta channels (only via Galaxy AFAIK) for some titles, e.g. No Man's Sky. The dev may need to ask for it though.
Post edited August 26, 2017 by Gydion
squid830: It would be great if GOG introduced a beta program similar to Steam - I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult. At the least the dev could send a beta patch to GOG and GOG could just have that available as a download, or do it via Galaxy (technically there shouldn't be that many changes required to Galaxy - at the end of the day it's just another patch, just the conditions around downloading will have to be varied compared to the "regular" patch).
Gydion: GOG already offers beta channels (only via Galaxy AFAIK) for some titles, e.g. No Man's Sky. The dev may need to ask for it though.
Huh, didn't realise that - thanks for the heads up.

So either the devs didn't know this existed on GOG, or they chose not to use GOG's beta channel for some reason...
squid830: So either the devs didn't know this existed on GOG, or they chose not to use GOG's beta channel for some reason...
Logic Artists are Steam-centric. They even use the Steam forums as their semi-official point of public contact and bug reporting platform -- you'll see official announcements and such over at Steam but never here. It's no surprise that GOG is out of the loop.
Post edited August 26, 2017 by Hickory
squid830: So either the devs didn't know this existed on GOG, or they chose not to use GOG's beta channel for some reason...
Hickory: Logic Artists are Steam-centric. They even use the Steam forums as their semi-official point of public contact and bug reporting platform -- you'll see official announcements and such over at Steam but never here. It's no surprise that GOG is out of the loop.
Which makes having bought the game on GOG make me feel like a lower value costumer. I actually really adore this companies games, but you can't argue both costumers are being equaly represented if on the steam forum every topic gets a mod/dev reply and on GOG forum there hasnt been a mod/dev post in ages.(since june?)

It is incredibly awkward that if I wanted to post about a bug, I need to go to the steam forum(without owning the game on steam), then report it there, and get told "Are you runing 1.0.6? It is supposed to be fixed in 1.0.6". Making any input I can give to the dev team useless, because I can't run the version of the game they want me to run.

I actually want to post my general thoughts on the game, because I have a good few of them, but whats the point of the version of the game I am runing isnt considered up to date.

Unless I am mistaking, their offical webside doesnt even ever mention GOG or that their game is on GOG, they have links to the steam forum and store page, but nothing for GOG. I really think at that point they should consider just sticking to Steam for future games, maybe put it out on GOG once you have reached the final version of the game and are offically done patching and developing it, then put it on GOG for those that really hate steam.

Mind you, I do understand that the dev team is tiny and(I am guessing, I have no insider knowledge) this game can't have been much of a comcerical sucess, so I do sympathise with the need to cost cut and inability to keep multiple forums up to date, but that does not stop the consumer from feeling shafted.
Hickory: Logic Artists are Steam-centric. They even use the Steam forums as their semi-official point of public contact and bug reporting platform -- you'll see official announcements and such over at Steam but never here. It's no surprise that GOG is out of the loop.
Sapare: Which makes having bought the game on GOG make me feel like a lower value costumer. I actually really adore this companies games, but you can't argue both costumers are being equaly represented if on the steam forum every topic gets a mod/dev reply and on GOG forum there hasnt been a mod/dev post in ages.(since june?)

It is incredibly awkward that if I wanted to post about a bug, I need to go to the steam forum(without owning the game on steam), then report it there, and get told "Are you runing 1.0.6? It is supposed to be fixed in 1.0.6". Making any input I can give to the dev team useless, because I can't run the version of the game they want me to run.

I actually want to post my general thoughts on the game, because I have a good few of them, but whats the point of the version of the game I am runing isnt considered up to date.

Unless I am mistaking, their offical webside doesnt even ever mention GOG or that their game is on GOG, they have links to the steam forum and store page, but nothing for GOG. I really think at that point they should consider just sticking to Steam for future games, maybe put it out on GOG once you have reached the final version of the game and are offically done patching and developing it, then put it on GOG for those that really hate steam.

Mind you, I do understand that the dev team is tiny and(I am guessing, I have no insider knowledge) this game can't have been much of a comcerical sucess, so I do sympathise with the need to cost cut and inability to keep multiple forums up to date, but that does not stop the consumer from feeling shafted.
I suspect it sold better than Conquistadors (due to marginally better marketing, plus it's a more "traditional" RPG which people apparently want for some reason) - but I can't confirm as I don't have sales data.

Team size notwithstanding, there's little reason to not support both GOG and Steam properly, and despite the Steam vs GOG issues I'm glad they decided to release on GOG near-simultaneously.

The fact that many devs seem to obviously favour Steam is, I suspect, mostly due to it being there first - but could also be due to Steam's APIs just being easier to use in comparison to GOGs. If the latter is true, GOG need to up their development game - they already started way behind Steam, they need to catch up fast (but also without doing stupid things like adding Galaxy by default to game installers etc.).

If at least they had a third-party forum it would be a bit better. They used to have their own forums (on their website), but these seem to have disappeared. Using a particular platform's site for your forum (at the exclusion of others) is definitely something they should rectify, then we'd feel a tiny bit less shafted...
so it's been almost a month... still no 1.06 update? I think I'll just stick with steam from now on... this is really sad.
ironx8: so it's been almost a month... still no 1.06 update? I think I'll just stick with steam from now on... this is really sad.
It has nothing to do with GOG vs Steam. The developers have not released patch 1.06 yet. There was an engine update that was causing crashes and they are still trying to iron out the cause of the last crash. Be patient.
OK I guess we can all stop whinging (at least until the next patch is delayed) - because 1.0.6.1 is HERE!

And so are the "Expeditions Vikings Tools" for modding! And the changelog is also up-to-date (in the downloads section).

Better late than never I guess...

Wonder how long it'll take for someone to write Aife romance events - or how they'll turn out... ;)